ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye High-Res mode REVISITED
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Goldeneye High-Res mode REVISITED Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to zoinkity's 8MB patch and cranking up the memory allocations in the 21990, I was able to get an entire mission (Facility) to load and play, amazingly with full smooth framerates.

I had to make some tweaks to get it to work, however, such as deleting the intro cameras (as they crashed the game).

Also, the 4th watch menu crashes the game as does collecting the guard's keycard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2DC--5KXw

(watch the video in 720p, 60fps)

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice, it seems however that rare must have done more than simply increase ram to get PD in hi-res.

Its odd that picking up a keycard would cause a crash... all its doing is displaying text surly?

Trev

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's very impressive! I would have thought that the whole engine would be geared around the one (low) resolution, it's great that you can force it to run higher, especially since it doesn't seem to hammer the frame-rate.

It does make me wonder though - if the N64 can do the extra work required to show it in higher resolution and not slow down, then can't the lower (normal) resolution be made to run a little faster, to improve the frame-rate?

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One interesting thing is when comparing screenshots of background textures drawn at medium to far distances, there is absolutely no difference whatsoever between high-res mode and low-res mode as far as pixelation - they look identical.

Perhaps more interesting is comparing screenshots from the PJ64 emulator to those of raw RGB output from the actual console. I have an RGB-modded console connected to a Micomsoft XRGB-3 line-doubler, then routed through a VGA capture device, so I can get a pretty accurate direct screen capture from the console output. My question is, is the Jabo graphics plugin actually rendering the game at 320x240, or at something higher? One thing is certain and that is that PJ64 is rendering the missions at an exact 16:9 aspect ratio whereby the console is not. Note the size of the black bars on top and bottom as well as the extra content rendered to the left on the emulator compared to the console:

Then, here is a screenshot of wall sign zoomed in 300 percent (top is console, bottom is emulator). There is no doubt when analyzing that image that the emulator is rendering the image at twice the resolution as the console is - you can clearly tell this by counting the vertical lines around the sign's border.

So apparently the emulator is already emulating the game in a higher resolution than the console is, and high-res mode makes no difference, at least with regards to the backgrounds.

My curiosity would be in loading the facility on the console with high-res mode forced to see if it renders a much sharper image than shown above. I am not able to do this myself without a set of gameshark codes that would modify the 1000-action block since I do not have an N64 backup device.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Which gameshark code did you use for the hi res mode? I remember poking a while ago, but don't remember not being able to do the intro.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To be clear, my video capture was from emulation, not console.

The only GS code I used was 8002A8F7 0036 (force load Cuba), I did everything else through the 21990 (pointing Cuba to Facility's bg and clipping data, also adjusting scale).

I then took the Facility's original setup file and deleted all camera data from the intro block, also added D8, 02, 03, 01 actions to a newly created 1xxx action block. Finally, I applied zoinkity's 8MB patch and adjusted memory allocations in the 21990, also set the rom settings in the emulator to use 8MB of memory.

To load on console with just a bare stage using nothing more than a gameshark, I would require 3 GS codes for loading (the one above plus 2 additional codes to point Cuba to Facility's bg and clipping data) plus additional codes for adjusting level scale as well as modifying Cuba's 1000 action block (not sure how difficult that would be to come up with codes to do that).

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah... regarding emulation, this completly abstracts the N64 drawing capabilities and drawbacks and cannot be used to compare resolutions.

PJ64 will render at whatever resolution you tell it to (You can even render GE at 1080p (1920x1080))
All polygons will have fine edges, but of course the textures dont change, they just get scaled up and bi-linear filtered.

This explains why there is no difference when using PJ (or any emulator for that matter).
The only visual difference is that the internal code for GE is telling the pollies for the text to be placed at specific positions on the framebuffer.(TextRec)
PJ then interpolates this to the PC graphics card framebuffer.
This then shows the text in the watch at equivelent positions you see on consol. but the resolution itself has no bareing

The only true test for hi-res comparison vids, is to show both consol outputs.

Also, I always wounder why nobody enables AA in emulators.

Trev

Last edited by Trevor on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did not touch allocations (need to), but applying the Hi Res Cuba stage id to ROM, the intros still seem to work? (didn't test console yet)

http://goldeneyevault.com/priv/GEXPak009HiRes.xdelta

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Before I go testing, what EXACTLY does the patch do?

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I assume it applies the ID of cuba to Facility.
So, rather than place the facility files into the cuba slot then force load cuba, it just swaps the ID and you load facility as normal?

I could be wrong, but it could be why intros work.

Trev

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In three spots, it had checks for id of cuba. Actually there are more than 3, but only these 3 are ones want since impacted hi res. I made it so it disables the check, and applies to all levels. This also has the expansion pak applied of course.

All levels should be hi resolution and intros worked.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm it crashed my setup editor on trying to apply the patch:

unknown exception (0xc0000417)

I also tried your runway-specific patch you had (found in an older forum thread) and it also crashed my setup editor.

I tried applying to a byteflipped rom.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I decided to take a shot at this and I got it working to some extent thanks to Zoinkity's 8MB patch. All levels are set to hires mode, and I have included a intro skip and no-aa patch as well.

Download: https://files.catbox.moe/xztj4n.zip (archive.org mirror)

Last edited by pavarini on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:00 am; edited 3 times in total

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not going to lie, I would love to see what disabling aa does to the image on console. Would it be possible to get a comparison image?
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks pavarini!

I completed the game in Agent diffuclty and I didn't experience major framerate issues except in the Cradle level. Even Streets and Jungle play very similar to the original game.

I was a little concerned that the No AA patch would make ditter too noticeable but it didn't bothered me at all. Not even in Surface 2. It made me wonder if the No AA patch was present. Because it is, isn't it?

Playing GoldenEye at hi-res is awesome. At times it felt like playing it on Wii64 because of how sharp everything looked, but it's running on the real thing!

There's a bug with the end cutscenes that keep playing forever (black screen with noise/music) until you press the A button. The end credits doens't finish either.
And wait... no multiplayer available! And I was wondering if hi-res was included there and check how it looked/performed!

I wish the text in the watch-menu could be fixed. It barely readable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: