ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye High-Res mode REVISITED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The aa can be toggled under options (replaces show ammo). I could not increase the allocations for all multiplayer maps due to string size, so I removed the option altogether (edit: I tried MP and it only renders the upper half of the screen). I am unsure what causes the fadeout softlock, hence why it's a experimental patch. As for previewing with and without aa, you'll have to test with a actual console to see the difference.

Edit: I've redone the hack to allow multiplayer, as well as unlocked missions/cheats by default. Download: https://files.catbox.moe/xztj4n.zip (archive.org mirror)

Here is a comparison of the resolution:

Last edited by pavarini on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is such vault material , very good pav !

Trickle
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible to get this to work with Goldfinger 64? That would rule! This experiment is one of the best things to happen to Goldeneye. Especially with us purists who still play on the real hardware =P

I'm going to try this on my XRGB-mini, but it definitely looks great on my CRT!

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have not tested this and none of the allocations have been increased. https://files.catbox.moe/nhc754.zip

Trickle
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can confirm that it works! Is this with AA off too? I can't tell on my CRT (along with Cartel being such a dark level). Also, not to sound spoiled, but is it possible to push GE 007 to 480i like PD? Or is this sort of a complicated mathematical hack? 440x330 looks so much better at any rate. It would be awesome if the text and certain GUI elements looked correct, but it isn't very bothersome otherwise. Nice job pav! Is there anyway you can also host a link for your last patch only with AA still enabled as well and likewise for GF64? I don't find the AA to be too offensive on 330i, but I like the options Smile

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

https://files.catbox.moe/r6zxzo.zip Apply with the 8MB patch and regenerate the CRC.

Trickle
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice, it looks great!

*edit*

I just noticed the replacing of show ammo with the option to toggle aa on or off!

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag has released a proper hires mode, check it out here http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=353

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a No AA option this time? I can't find it, although the game seems to already run with no AA (however I didn't notice any dithering). I played Dam and Facility and at this resolution the game really lags. The previous patch at 440x330 is a lot more playable.

Also noticed interlaced flickering in menus which isn't very pleasant. It's weird because the description says it's been kept at 440x330 but I checked back with the original game and there's a big difference.

How did you get 640x480 on GoldenEye?
It makes sense that you can use the higher resolution from the menus or Cuba in other parts of the game, but I don't think there's any screen in the game at that resolution. Does that mean you can make it render at any resolution you want?

Would there be a way to make the game run at 640x240p like in PD hi-res mode? Is there any processing difference from rendering at 640x480i than to do it at 640x240p?

I think at 640x480i you'll have more drawing distance before mipmaps start acting and make the scene blurrier than at 240p, but not sure how the interlaced signal would impact on sharpness. I would like to compare it.

Finally, is it feasible to have hi-res patches for other games? I can image Super Mario 64 running very smooth at higher resolutions especially of a No AA hack is also included.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well it's rather complicated, but basically the steps are:
1) Make room and repoint for the bigger frame buffers (4x original size) - Zoinkity's 7 meg patch helped
2) Change the Video Interface (VI) settings for the HAF1 (640 x 480, no flicker, really 640 x 240)
3) Change all of GEs width and height variables to be updated for the new size

It could be done on any game, but it takes effort. Any game that doesn't use expansion pak, it's quite a bit easier. GE seems to be more complicated than I imagine most are, so many variables of the height and width and slight variations (such as multi values).

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The zip also has a no AA patch now. Its slightly faster but obviously loses AA

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the explanation SubDrag, but I'm still confused with the resolution the game is rendering at.

When you say the frame buffer is now 640x480 I undesrtand that the "internal resolution" in which the game is rendered is indeed 640x480 pixels.

However when displaying the image on a CRT TV, because there isn't enough bandwith to display all those pixels, you get two fields with half the vertical resolution alternating between each other each frame.
The first frame will display the even vertical lines (2, 4, 6, 8.... 480) while in the next frame only the odd vertical lines will be seen (1, 3, 5, 7...479). The rest of the lines are kept in black. Because of the constant swithcing you get flickering.
This is what 640x480i (interlaced) is called.

640x480p (progessive) means that each frame displays the 480 vertical lines, but you can't get that with your usual CRT TV and composite cables.

Videogames from the 8 bits, 16 bits and most of the 32/60 bit era doesn't have that much vertical resolution, so they work on what was called 240p.
The actual image has a resolution of aproximately 240 vertical lines, so when it's been displayed on the screen all the frames are just using the same set of lines (2, 4, 6, 8... 480) while the rest (1, 3, 5, 7...479) are black (scanlines), resulting in a stable image with no flickering.

When you say that the game is really running at 640x240 (which is the PD hi-res) I understand the internal image is 640x240 and when displayed on screen it's using the 240p method.

However the text ingame is so small that it makes no sense the game is running at the same vertical resolution than the original game but twice the horizontal resolution (internally speking, as you can't display more that 240 lines on screen in any case).

Sorry for the long and boring explanation that you probably already knew, but I don't quite get it yet, hehe.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not really an expert here, but the frame buffer is 640 x 480, while it renders 240 lines on the tv. So maybe it's that 640 x 240p. Either that or it blends every two lines before sending to tv.

Trickle
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm excited to try this. Could we possibly get a GF 64 version as well?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trickle wrote:
I'm excited to try this. Could we possibly get a GF 64 version as well?

Since you need 0x12C000 of space free to quadruple the buffer size, I'm afraid there's not enough space available.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: