ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye N64 controller question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloodyscientist
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Goldeneye N64 controller question Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys,

I am new here so I would like to introduce myself, this past summer I got my hands on a ED64PLUS flash cart for my N64. Which got me back to playing my old N64 games such as this one Goldeneye which I own. Back in the day when this came out I was too young to appreciate it, found it a bit intimidating but my brother took a liking to it and was obsessed with it. So now I am playing it again, I think my controller joysticks aren't all that great they seem a little loose which is as we all know the most common flaws with these. I know this is a extremely common question in the N64 community and Ive done my research but I would like to know from those of you who play the game in the console which controller do you use. Did you swap the joystick for a gamecube style? Did you swap it for the original style? Are you using 3rd party controller? Are you using a gamecube to n64 controller converter by Raphnet?

Personally Ive tried swapping the joystick for the original styled ones but it was horrible, broke in like a couple weeks and never really felt right (too stiff). Then I bought one of those cheap chinese controllers, but it moves without me touching it and sometimes it doesn't move to one side etc. I tried calibrating it holding down L R Start, and it worked once but now its back to not working. So Ive considered swapping joysticks to the Gamecube style ones but Ive heard they are too sensitive and don't feel right especially for games like Goldeneye and Smash Bros. That would make them useless to me since those are 2 of my favorite games.

As for now I am using one of my original controller which I think works fine, but I don't want to kill it. For this reason I would like to get you guy's input. What would you do? or What controller solution would you go for overall long term/performance?

Thanks guys

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3GYtAyRCOo

This is a good video to start with. Gamecube stick replacements are way too sensitive for goldeneye, but if you want you can purchase it here. There also has been a kickstarter for a new company that plans to recreate the joystick parts using plastic molds, but it's a kickstarter so who knows if it will ever be release. And then there is this where you replace the PCB for the GC style replacement stick and it restores it to the original sensitivity, but requires soldering. Edit: I still use my original and have never felt the need to replace them.

Last edited by pavarini on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jhirmer614
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You just need one of these bad boys http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/

And a wavebird GameCube controller and you will never want to use a normal N64 controller on the system again.

bloodyscientist
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@pavarini

Yeap I know, I think I had already seen that video. That is what I have heard that gamecube joysticks are too sensitive. What controller do you use?

@Jhirmer614

Right!? That is what I am thinking of doing but I do love the N64 controller and I wonder how a Gamecube controller would work for other games. Is that what you use? Does it work well for you?

Jhirmer614
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Really for me it works wonders, luckily you can remap and save controller configurations to the dongle and works really well with Goldeneye, trying to strafe with the C sticks is really nice as well, you will not be interrupted by looking up or down. also Mario Kart 64 plays 10X better, and you will not experience any latency with button presses.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Jhirmer614 thanks for that info! I've always looked at these, but living in NZ the exchange rate makes me instantly cautious of anything! Although I am really waiting for the next batch of those PCB sticks as the N64 at my place still gets used about three times a week Very Happy

bloodyscientist
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There should be an installation service for that pcb mod because I can't solder worth @#$# LOL

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

By far my favourite joypad for the N64 is the Mako Pad 64 (or Makopad 64), which is simply the transparent version of the Superpad 64, and it's fantastic; due to the redesign (it has two prongs, not three, unlike the official N64 controller) all controls and buttons are accessible without you moving your hand, unlike the official N64 pad.

For a review, see:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7186633/1/

(the review is of the Super Pad 64, the top right hand one in the first photograph, one black one with two prongs - the Makopad 64 is the exactly the same but with AUTO-FIRE and SLOW DOWN buttons, and is transparent instead of black.

I've had mine for more than ten years, and it's still as responsive now as it ever was - I've hammered it with Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros., and countless other N64 classics. The analogue stick is made of metal, unlike the official controller, so it has not yet even started to wear away.

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/015814

Or see the video at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1bQfu-HAqc

(and ignore the post in the comments section where it says "There wasn't ever a game where you hade to use the dpad and the? analong stick at the same time" - lots of games used both the analogue stick and the D-Pad, such as Duke Nukem 64, Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, and Jet Force Gemini, all of which used the D-Pad to select weapons).

Sadly, you'll probably have to look through ebay, local newspapers, or local secondhand shops to find a Makopad 64 nowadays, but of course that's true of all N64 stuff. And the Makopad 64 comes in two types, the Makopad 64 which is transparent and has a couple of "cheat" switches (Slowdown and Autofire, I think - I've never used them), and an opaque black version called the Superpad 64, which lacks the cheat switches. The back opaque version of the Makopad 64 is called the Superpad 64, see the review at:

Beware though, as there is at least one other joypad for the N64 called the Superpad 64, which is *not* what you want.

I cannot recommend this joypad strongly enough.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Come to think of it I've been meaning to try and squeeze the N64 controller into a PS2 controller because I've enjoyed using that style of controller during emulation. Although I still really like my amberdexterious one Very Happy

EDIT: @bloodyscientist, I think he does sell some of them assembled with the pot sticks too, so all you'd have to do is replace the parts from the GC stick - it'd still be a bit more expensive. The other thing I've found with the new mounts is that some of them don't quite fit the z-trigger so you lose that nice "thonk" of a good button press - it's because the prongs on the inside of the trigger foul the contact, trimming off either the top or bottom one tends to resolve the issue.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That GameCube controller port convertor looks interesting. I still have my platinum GCN controller, which I use to play GameCube games on the Wii. Might be interested in trying that out.

Just wondering how the C-stick feels in comparison to the C-buttons? Especially when it comes to sensitivity. Like slowly moving the stick won't make you slowly strafe or look up/down, or does it? If not, how far must you move the stick before it causes the controller to do the task? And aiming the stick up and to the left, will that let you move left and look down (assuming inverted aim) at the same time? Like up and down cooperate with right and left, and won't fight each other or cancel one another out?

Guess I am thinking of 1.1 controls, where something else could work better in this case.

It will cost me over $50 CAD after shipping and taxes, so I would like to make sure it is worth it. I still love the N64 controller, after all.

Jhirmer614
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You might be able to find one on eBay, atleast that's where I found mine for a little bit cheaper. From my experiences with the converter, if you have a legitimate controller that was made by Nintendo you won't experience any lag in your input, you might say it controls better than a fresh n64 stick which was very impressive when I first tried it out. I have not tried to see when the c button is "pressed" when I move the c-stick but really I don't see if as being very awkward. With GoldenEye X Challenges i find it really easy to complete the harder difficulty missions in than with a normal controller on vanilla controller settings if that helps any.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I just purchased one a moment ago, so hopefully I'll like using it. I also grabbed an extension cable for the Wiimote, since I always felt the Nunchuck cable was slightly too short. Not sure how much use it will get nowadays, but it was pretty cheap.

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you're desperate enough like me, you can actually insert a Gamecube joystick inside a N64 controller, since I'm so used to it.

Functions well, but takes quite awhile to get used to. If someone was crazy enough, they could make a 3D printed version of the parts used.

I just wished there was a Dualshock-to-N64 adapter. As those controllers fit swell in my baby-sized hands.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just an update from my previous post, the company I posted about before has more info on their twitter page, and recently progress. https://twitter.com/ENKKO_/with_replies

There is also another person that I discovered recently who is manufacturing stainless steel replacement parts. You can also follow their progress here. http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7463997/1/#new https://twitter.com/SteelSticks64/with_replies

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty neat. I like all the different colours available, too. You can really customize your controller to your liking. I wouldn't mind creating my own "dream" N64 setup one day, and those steel sticks could be involved.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: