ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Level Texturing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Level Texturing Reply with quote Back to top

How would one go about re-texturing a level from GoldenEye? I cannot find any tutorials on the Vault or on the forums and am definitely interested in finding out how.
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That would depend greatly on what exactly you want to do.

If you want to just swap textures you can do that in PerfectGold, if you want to use different textures and re-map them, you will need to export the level, open it in your favourit modeler and then remap the textures there.

once you have re-mapped the textures return to PG and open the level, and find the option "Convert obj to level and export" (this despite saying export will actually import the obj into PG and the visual window should update)

Providing you kept the mesh names as exported "Room01, Room02..." etc. everything should work fine.

If you are unfamilular with UV mapping then this will be a topic you will need to study in respect to whichever modeler you choose.

Trev

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For instance, if I go into PG and change textures, how do I export the changes?

Also, say I go into room positions mode and delete a triangle? Like a mountain, etc. how would I get those changes to reflect in-game?
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

click file
Save as Project and re-export rooms

save to a new folder somewhere.

find a base GE rom

save

then click file again

Inject Project

it will ask for a filename for the new rom (dont use your base rom)

done

Apparently you can also go to Tools>GameConfiguration and go to Stage Options and then import from visual, however this doesnt seem to work for me as it is greyed out.

Trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just make sure nothing happens to the level special visibility. You may need to export the visibility to bin file, and import it back in before you go to save the new changes. It may be fine, but I've personally lost the visibility before when exporting. Those options should be available when right-clicking in Edit Portals mode.

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay,

I'm attempting to change the texture of the floors. Everything looks good until I try to import it by visual or by project mode.

Before:
http://imgur.com/mYrw35d

After:
http://imgur.com/uFN3F9a

After it converts it, certain triangles just look mapped wrong. I don't know what could be causing this issue? Considering both images are tile images, I assumed it should go in rather nicely.
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe uvs got too big? Check using uv editor if in range.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Could be too big. I had similar issues before with a modified level. If you check out the Edit Vertices menu, when you right click on the tile, it will tell you the U/V coord values. If something says like 32.447800, you could try changing it to 12.447800. You may also have to adjust other U/V's to compensate for the difference, or else it could get more / less repeats. It can be tricky, but after enough screwing around with it, you should be able to get it fixed up. Prob an easy way, but I don't always go for the easy method. Razz

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What size is your texture?

UV's on the N64 are texel based, and texel counts are limited to 1023.967/-1024
So, if your texture is 32x32 then the maximum UV for any triangle is +/-31.99 (1023.967 / 32)
If your texture is 64x64 then the maximum UV for any triangle is +/- 15.99 (1023.967 / 64)

Likewise, if your texture was 1024x1x4 then the maximum UV would be 1.99 starting at -1, ending at 0.99

I have added this to my texture doc available here
http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=6802

Trev

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
Maybe uvs got too big? Check using uv editor if in range.

Yep, that seemed to be the problem. I ended up selecting all the points in the UV Editor for the entire floor area and adjusted them on the graph until I got the desired look. Looks really cool in-game.
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: