ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

US retail version of 64DD FOUND with mysterious disk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: US retail version of 64DD FOUND with mysterious disk Reply with quote Back to top

This is a curious find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b64Bx0WKh7M

If you watch towards the end of the video - he has no idea what is on the disk and no way of reading it. Any theories?

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That should be a retail drive. Will need a dev drive to read that disk out. Will know for certain when somebody gets near it with a 64drive and dumps out the ASIC registers.

That particular error is created when a seek operation fails. If it's a retail drive, that's likely due to the fact it's a dev disk and the rather thankful condition that the stupid thing had something approximating valid data at the byte read to determine disk type for further seeks.

If it is a dev drive then it's basically reporting a hardware failure. The seek failed due to the drive arm not actually seeking to the prescribed point or inability to read the track information at that location.
There could be a number of causes though; I had a retail drive where one of the ribbon cables backed out of its slot and would return this error. Sticking it back in fixed the drive. Likewise, could also be caused by too many attempts to read a dev disk with a retail drive and the mechanism getting damaged.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I find this incredibly interesting. While the disk is probably a very common game, the device itself being in what would appear to be a "final form" is really interesting, and that it remained "undiscovered" for so long is even more crazy.

Hey - Zoinkity - you going to investigate this one? Wink

And could it perhaps be a copy of UT on the N64? We know it was under development...

Although it's probably Sim City

Last edited by MRKane on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is insane! I'm am extremely impress over the fact that this guy found the Nintendo 64 Disk Drive NTSC hardware. To bad not a single game will load on it as far as I can tell. But if he can find someone who can dump the BIOS and the ISO of that disk. That would be fantastic for those who are experience with the Disk Drive.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So as an update, @Hard4Games has agreed to send Metal Jesus their 64DD dev kit to read that blue disk! We might finally find out what it is. So everyone: bets out and however wins gets...a round of applause?

https://twitter.com/metaljesusrocks/status/758036678049042432

Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I still want to know why a blue disk was in a retail machine in the first place. I can only assume they were testing said blue disk in it which wouldnt have worked unlesss this retail DD still accepted the Dev Cart on top?
But then you would be running 2 OS's...

Trev

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Because shoving a disk into the slot when you walk away with a piece of hardware is slightly easier and safer than sticking it in your pocket?

Dev disks are physically laid out differently than retail disks, and the drives physically operate differently. They are incompatible. The software driver though is the same; no code modifications are needed to run a retail program burned to dev disk or vice-versa.

A dev disk will not run in a retail device or vice-versa.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Update video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe-fs1COgr0

I won't give any spoilers.

The comments section is interesting - one person claims to have 2 blue disks, another claims to have 2 blue ones and a RED one. So if either of these claims are true, there could be more disks to be checked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: