ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Another Approach to GE X multiplayer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldyz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Another Approach to GE X multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

Ollllo here:
i have been trying for the past few days to edit the single player level 'demos'
in GE X with not much success -

My multiplayer death-match experience is like this:

4 player split screen is rarely used now-days

In the rare ocation - as of late- that i get to play with a friend, i always load up Combat simulation/VR with the following setup:

Random weapons, random level, pretty much the same 2 characters, you only live once. that way we go trough all levels in about an hour and call it a day

unfortunately, mos levels in GE X are incomplete versions of the true levels- frigate feels specially claustrophobic without the outside.
Fortunately, i see that complete versions of most levels have been included in the latest patch, and they run perfectly in coop or counter-operative mode. Clouds, Rain, Snow..

What does this mean then?

Well in my case, this is perfect, all i have to do is add ammo crates, weapon re-spawn points, some motorcycles on the surface levels, body armors and i got complete levels in which i can play a battle with another human player with seemingly no restrictions.

Boot the ROM and battle away using Coop mode, keep the tally with pen & paper.

the goal is to turn the single player missions in to combat arenas, filled with as many random elements as possible -

As a starting point:
random spawn points, random weapons appearing in random places, random ammo crates, destructible doors and objects.

I ask for nothing more.

unfortunately i have not been able to edit these demo levels to add this things, the editor does not seem to have a way to open up a level for editing from the patch or patched ROM itself - and editing a PD ROM or adding a barebones patch from a GE level project its not doing the trick.

i need some help either with instructions, or i humbly request that you share the single player project files used for the latest patch for GE X

Later on , i wonder if its possible to hack 4 player gameplay & add multiplayer options to the single player menus, if it is then we are looking at the posibility that those restrictions that Combat sim mode has will be a thing of the past.

The conscequence tho, is that we would end up with 2 ROMS, one that would be used exclusively for multiplayer, and another ROM for single player missions & Coop missions plus simple & limited Combat simulator levels

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You'd need to patch the ROM, enter the Game Configuration (39850 Modifications) menu in Perfect Dark mode, once it opens, select the GoldenEye X ROM under the ROM selection, then you can edit things.

Under Stage Options, is where you can easily access the files for each level. I don't have a stage ID list handy right now, but you can figure out which is which by going through both the multiplayer and mission level lists. Choose the level from the Stage Option list (upper left), and it will automatically show the associated files (Setup, Multi Setup, BG, and Clipping). Just click the little square button to the right of the file name to select it from the main file list. You can choose to save file. Put them all into a new folder, and you can make a Project file, which can be opened in Visual. That's where you can edit just about everything in the level.

oldyz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info, the method i used varied a bit from your description and i think it got me half-way there.

i can't see the changes after trying to inject the patched rom with my custom patch -

i have provided the files to you, Sub & Sogun , hopefully you can verify if my project is correctly saved and also see if its not an editor bug.

I did get missing .bmp error messages

Either way, i think a video tutorial is in order, i will attempt to patch the ROM again with older versions of the editor tomorrow -

but it is very important that the folks know how to re-edit the patched ROMS so they can remove or add things if they please.

0lllllo out & about

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The same way you extracted the files, is how you replace them. Once you have edited your levels files (setup, pads, BG, clipping) and saved them, open up the PD Game Configuration (39850 Modifications) menu, and choose the GE-X patched ROM (starting with 5d beta). Then choose the level from the list in Stage Options, click the square next to the file name, and when that is selected in the main file list, click on the Inject File button. There, you pick your updated replacement file and inject it. Do that with all related files and save as a new ROM. Pop it open in an emulator and hopefully your edits were successful.

(I never use inject project into ROM or save as project + re-export BG. I always save each file separately while in Visual mode, and inject them separately using the Game Configuration menu. So I can't offer assistance if it's an issue with that method.)

Oh, about the missing textures issue. That had something to do with a few GE images not being compressed properly. Didn't seem to be an issue in game, but the Editor reported them being bad. That has since been fixed for the next release of GE-X.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The easiest way to edit a patched rom is like this:

-Open Editor (use v3, althoug v2 shoud work just as fine) and go to Tools -> Game Configuration (39850 (PD) Modification in Editor v2).

-At the top of the new window that pops up click on 'Choose ROM' and select the patched GE: X rom. This will load the rom so you can edit it.

-In the 'Stage Options' Tab, select the level you want to edit in the level slot (by default it's the box where it says '00 - Main SOS'. It keeps original PD level names). This will change the name files that can be edited or saved.

-Then click on 'Edit Solo Level in Visual' if it's a mission level or 'Edit Multi Level in Visual' if it's a multiplayer level. The Visual Editor should open with the level of your choice with all the edited stuff in it.

-Now you can save the project using 'File -> Save as project + Reexport Rooms' just in case the Editor crashes and you lose all your progress. Put a name to the project, select a folder to save it and select the patched rom as base rom. You really don't need to do this, but it's better to know it's doable, hehe.

In Visual Editor do all the stuff you want to do, then return to the Game Configuration window and click on 'Import Solo level from Visual' if it's a mission and you only changed setup and not clipping or background; 'Import Multi level from Visual' if it's a multiplayer level. Or 'Import Solo/Multi Level + Reexport rooms' if you changed something like textures, portals, clipping, etc. This would update the GE: X rom with your new content. But you still need to save it.

-At the bottom of the Game Configuration window there's a 'Write ROM with 3050/38950 Mods'. Click on it and you can either overwrite the GE:X rom or name a new rom. Use the saved rom to continue adding your content if you exit and reopen the Editor.

-Now you can open this new rom in your emulator of choice. But be sure to change the rom settings back to the PD rom settings or you'll have lots of performance errors or the rom won't boot at all.

--------------------------------------------------

As for the bmp issue. It's a bit of a headache and I don't know if it's fixed by now. But here's what I do:

-For Greyscaled textures re-save them with paint as 24 bit color-depth bmp. This one wroks fine.
-For 8-bit and 4-bit color textures use Irfanview. Open the bmp you extracted from editor, go to Image -> Reduce color depth. Use 256 colors for 8bit textures and 16 colors for 4bit textures. Then save as bmp. These files should work with Editor.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure the texture issue was from the compression of a few of GE's images. I had to do something to them in order for the Editor to decompress them properly. They're fixed on my end, and will no longer be a problem in the future. Same exact textures, just corrected compression. Think it was they had extra unneeded zeroes or something at end.

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

0lllo

well, Sogun's method worked to some extent.

i made parts of the ship invisible, and those changes do show, but the guards and things that i added do not appear, i made the level barebones before hand, by the way.

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Olllo,

Full levels for multi with random elements sounds fun, it is also something Ive been thinking about for a while. But I know its hard on original hardware.

And even though I have an everdrive myself, sometimes its hard to beat the 60fps and hi resolution of emulators.

However I have zero abilities with the editor short of patching. If you do figure it out, hopefully you can share the patch.

best of luck.

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

0llllo

Well, more questions.

i have been looking trough the tutorials &
can't seem to figure out wha the MP setup file does
then i went full atomic and did what Wreck said,
i used level 21 rescue for the BG file and the clipping file
the setup file got injected with ravine-frigate multiplayer setup file
the MP setup file also got injected with RavineĀ“s
and the pad file also got injected with ravine's

after all this ,i wrote the rom with the mods. a change did happen but the level would not load
so i figured that it needs a single player starting point , so what i did is that i attempted to use the game configuration menu to load the newly patched ROM to edit the level like in Sogun's instruction, problem is the patched ROM makes the editor crash.

So what i attempted next was to export ravine-frigate multi's pads to .txt files,the import them in to 21-rescue-frigate's.

the little cubes appeared along with blue doors.

next i exported a preset/pad file from ravine-frigate and imported them to Rescue 21-frigate. in one of the lonely cubes i inserted a guard elvis. i added a player one start point at the frigate's bridge and saved the project plus rooms, then went to game configuration and imported level from visual, when i attemted to write the rom , i got a message error that says: shrik or it will crash, and something about firing range

so my copy paste techniques and importing attempts have not worked,
next what ill try is to manually add a different starting point , a door, a guard, a multiplayer ammo crate and a multiplayer weapon spawn point from scratch and see what happens.

by the way adding doors from scratch seem to be really difficult, i add the pad to the doorway but when i place the object it is resized and the rotation is all wrong-

also adding things from scratch seems grueling,

in the future, when a level features guards and other objects, there seems to be no way to merge mutiplayer pads with whatever setup already exists.

example ,open a future level with furniture and all, erase all guards, paste the multiplayer's version of the sim paths,the multiplayer version of the pads, and multiplayer crates and weapons, save the project and inject.

maybe delete the multiplayer character spawn points, in case they would crash the level loading....

it would seem that by simply making a copy of all pads, by selecting one by one, and then pasting them would be sufficient, and it is weird that you cant select them (the cubes) all by holding the U key.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The normal setup file is used for solo missions, coop missions, and counter-op missions. The mp setup is what is used in Combat Simulator (VR in GE-X).

You could probably put the solo version of Frigate BG and clipping in the multiplayer VR level version. If things get mixed and matched between them, it could crash during load. Like if the clipping and BG files have a different number of rooms, it will fail. If you have objects or maybe even pads outside the level clipping, it can fail. You need to be cautious with what you're sticking together.

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:

You could probably put the solo version of Frigate BG and clipping in the multiplayer VR level version.

That would make it pointless, , i experimented with some gameshark codes that allowed me to use the single player/coop to load a combat sim setup file in to a main level (in perfect dark), and things seem to run pretty well even if the level is bigger. that's because the game is programmed to use better resources in single/coop mode as far as i know.

but now it seems to me that it can't be helped, you CAN put things in combat sim level that where meant for single player

example (destructible shields/body armor) with not much of a struggle (simply right click and choose the object) but it seems that for some reason, combat sim things including doors, are not showing up in single player mode.

in fact editing ravine-frigate in multiplayer mode , shows the door objects propperly, but switching them to edit in single player mode , turns them blue...

and there seems to be no way of making a conversion between these modes
(like convert multiplayer Doors to single player doors) then copy and paste

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought you wanted a full Frigate in VR? Not the interior only optimized version available in multiplayer now? Putting the solo Frigate BG and clipping into multi would allow that. It's a starting test.

There is no difference between doors in either missions or multi. Why they aren't showing in your tests, I can't say. Either human error, injecting wrong file or at wrong spot, or you need to better familiarize yourself with the files and how it all functions.

Yes, you can place shields as regular destructible objects in the setup file (like original GE). I decided to make them instead as part of the weapon set, like PD did, so players could choose to not have any armour, if they don't want it.

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, here is the theory.

there is a GS code tht allows you to load a single player mode WITH combat sim - the problem is that even when you load the level with only 2 players, the game-play lags , because it is said that combat sim runs in 4 mb memory mode. it can even run with 4 players but there is some problems that arise, like objectives that cant be completed , end of level crashes, etc. & super lagginess

I the other hand, loading a combat sim level in single player/coop mode, with the 4 player single/coop mode gameshark code activated, allows the game to run in high mem mode, problem is that - i think you cant control player 3 and 4, but the game should run faster

NOW what i can try, is turn a combat sim level completely into a single player level with guards and everything, and compare how it runs in 2 player combat sim mode vs how it runs by forcing it trough single player mode-

the whole point is not only to have the bigger level instead of an optimized one, it is to have also objects, chairs , weather, lights, even forced coronas using the gameshark, to create a dueling arena (at least for 2 players) that would be difficult, if not impossible to run in combat sim mode, but that would also work with elements like ammo crates and weapon re-spawn points and the random player re-spawn points -
all of which should work better in high memory mode.

the result would be be a level where player one is the Terminator, player 2 Controls RObocop , in a level very similar to Depot, in snowy weather, lots of exploding barrels, computer terminals , chairs, vehicles, light switches terrified bystanders. maybe even apply a five lives limit. and a time limit that brings out guards from nowhere after 8 minutes (like in Bomberman 64) so one player ultimately wins.

In Goldeneye terms it would be Trevelyan vs Bond in a full antenna level, where a helicopters (jumship) come out at the 8 minute mark and kills everything that moves.

i see now that random spawns of ammo crates and weapon pickups seem to be impossible to do.

to accomplish such a thing i was thinking of making Contra-like floating things that would be able to move all over the levels (destructible G5 androids), that way you shoot them and they would drop a random gun/ammo/item , but it seems that is also not possible in the editor either, characters and objects can only be programmed to drop an specific kind of object when you kill them as far as i can tell.

random spawn points for multi is not that hard , just place them all over the level and it works, hopefully they will not slow-down the game.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't believe there is any difference between missions and Combat Simulator memory wise, when playing with the expansion pak. Performance should be identical, I imagine. You should be able to have any level filled with doors and other objects in Combat Simulator, but the more that is on screen at one time, the harder it will be on the framerate. Not just in Combat Simulator, but also in coop mode. You need to cut down on at least some of the stuff to help performance, just like Rare did in GoldenEye's multi.

oldyz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ollllo Update:

what I will do for now, is to turn optimized arenas in to full arenas for those who play matches with just another person.

i dont know if its best to release them as injectable files, or as patches.

A request that i have for Subdrag: there does not seem to be a way to select whole sets of pads. they have to be selected one by one.

importing pads or setup files replaces what the level already has, i was wondering if import could include a ''merge'' function or have a
select all - pads, paths, action blocks - option

Secondary disarm function patch is almost complete, i just need to use the slap animation from goldeneye
PROBLEM:
there seems to be no way to export the slap animation from Goldeneye, the editor only has guard and some object animations, i have identified the weapon as 7f064EEc Slapper but the the weapon statistics in the Goldeneye version of the editor do not provide more details.

If someone has a .fbx animation file or the animation binary that belongs to the 'slapper' animation, this will complete Brosnian karate chop of disarming disorientation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: