ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Super Mario 64 LAST IMPACT has been released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Super Mario 64 LAST IMPACT has been released Reply with quote Back to top

Super Mario 64 spawns a NEW GAME though yes emulator-only

This isn't your typical puny rom hack this has new moves abilities functions enemies

It's got everything .

v1.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG4PCVfu4qo

v1.1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho0CHVAT4jM

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Mario 64 LAST IMPACT has been released Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:
Super Mario 64 spawns a NEW GAME though yes emulator-only

This isn't your typical puny rom hack this has new moves abilities functions enemies

It's got everything .

v1.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG4PCVfu4qo

v1.1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho0CHVAT4jM

Thanks for this, I've heard it's fantastic (and it does look really good). But I don't like N64 emulators as they are so flaky and often don't 'feel' right to me, so I stick with the N64 console, and a flash cartridge (an Everdrive 64). In the future, emulator users will be using totally accurate N64 emulators like CEN64 and the MESS N64 emulator, and then this mod won't work on them unless someone has gone to the trouble of fixing the mods.

I've tried other Super Mario 64 mods in the past that didn't work on the real N64, sadly, and for some reason no one seems inclined to fix them. It does seem strange that mod creators are happy for their mods to need inaccurate emulators and not run on the real hardware.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I mean there's some new mechanics , I'm assuming it's not compatible with the real thing

I have the mega 28mbit.rar and Major_Collection_Pack_Todos_los_Hacks_MODs_SM64_(20-03-2016).arc packs waiting for extraction+tests .. but been waiting for GE:X =}

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Historically, SM64 hacks haven't worked on console due to their editor not conforming to aligned memory addresses. Now there's a whole line of patches for a specific build of PJ64 that could only ever run on a PC.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
Historically, SM64 hacks haven't worked on console due to their editor not conforming to aligned memory addresses.

I understand that (the emulators of the time didn't crash/fail when they encountered that situation, whereas the real N64 does, so when the Mario 64 editor was written, it was allowed to create mods that created this situation (since the editor and it's (early) creations were only tested in an emulator) and as a result the mods crash a real N64), but does the fact that the mods use illegal address placing give the mods any special advantage? Other than them working on an emulator, I mean. If not, then just relocating the addresses and code would fix the problem, surely?

Granted this would be far from trivial, since there's no doubt many addresses to be shifted, and each one would result in the rest of the RAM above that address from being shifted too (or some complicated work round), but is it theoretically possible? Or does the editor (or the hacks) do other things that the real N64 can't cope with, such as too large a texture cache etc?

And if the mod's pre-compiled data is available (as it surely must be for most of the mods, especially later ones like SM64 LAST IMPACT), then can't it be run through a fixed version of the editor, to create fixed SM64 mods?

I know there's no easy fix, but it just seems strange that people are still making N64 mods that are incompatible with real hardware, when for a while now, this problem has been known about, and there have been several reasonably priced flash cartridges available for modders to use to test their mods on the real consoles.

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

0llllo here:

This game looks fantastic. i wonder if we can use the high definition Texture pack with this , i am aware that this game might feature new textures, but having 60% better textures around is better than nothing.

This next part is a bit ''ranty''
For years i realy liked my N64, and i still have it, i made metal parts for 8 controllers and Oldyz kept a back up of all of our game-saves with a DEx-drive.

that said, the lack of a decent 720 p output, the fact that the controllers are wearing out all over (broken columns inside, carbons wearing out) the slowdowns, no higher resolution textures nor polygons, limited memory and a hassle to use cheats with the gameshark, condemns my console to be gathering dust in a closet.

I like that idea of an accurate emulator, but said emulator MUST allow to expand games beyond of what they where originally -

case in point- the dolphin emulator can even allow you to use VR, you can play mario Kart 64 while "freelooking " using your head with the occulus rift

for me the best solution would be to just make "EX" versions of all N64 games, like with Doom64 or Turok, and leave them open to all expansions and modifications under the sun

my ideal "N64" Would be a Zotac mini PC with 4 Hori Pad EX2 controlllers

and games that have been modified to allow the use of six axis for 1st person shooters in VR mode, not just their default controller configuration.

ON the other hand
the cost of modifying my n64 for HD is about 130 dollars, the flash cart is 300 plus shipping. there is no Stereo 3D, no netplay and is a hassle to carry around, not to mention that if it gets stolen , it will be harder to replace.

An pre-configured emulator folder that i carry on a USB and 4 cheapo 6 button controllers that i carry along most weekends,so far has set me back about 150 dollars.

The n64 has great games but it truly shines in multiplayer.
After modifying the WwF no mercy and wrestlemania 2000 games with textures and new movesets, there is no way the console will get any use nowdays.
mario kart 64 is still enjoyable without 100 percent graphic accuracy.
Perfect Dark is best enjoyed in the 360
GE X works fine in the emulator
Starfox looks better in 4 player mode with texture packs
MOrtal Kombat trilogy runs fine with minor glitches
and KI gold runs fine if you lower your resolution

the only reason i keep the console are the Lucas Arts games that cannot be emulated, but for multiplayer emulators have taken over
My console is degrading, and is time consuming to keep it functional and useful @ the same time
I prefer emulation/simulation with enhancements. Time space and money do not give another choice.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Woah, I did not even realize this was even a thing till now. This looks amazing and I am gonna have to play though this rom mod when I can. I am extremely excited to see that Super Mario 64 still gets a lot of love over the years by such a small modding community. It's quite impressive.

Personally, emulating the Nintendo 64 does have it's issues, which is sad since it's been pretty much under the shadows compared to a emulator like Dolphin, which runs Gamecube/Wii games like a beast with no issues at all. At the very least from my experience of course. The Nintendo 64 emulation scene just lacks support and motivation I guess. At the very least Cen64 is looking pretty sharp, but even then it will require a pretty beefy computer to even run it at acceptable framerate. Which should not be a problem for me since I own a extremely powerful Skylake i7 processor. But besides that, higher polygons, better looking textures and a higher resolution ain't a needed thing for me. Since I've been used to how the games look for years, and it really does not bother me as much as it would to others. Along with the framerate drops, now that is something I can agree with.

As for the controller, I personally still use my Nintendo 64 controller with a USB converter. The one I bought a while back has been working flawlessly for me since day one. And I highly recommend checking it out if you plan to emulate Nintendo 64 games on your computer.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=82

Unlike other USB converters I've tried in the past, this actually treats the C-buttons as actual buttons and not a Z analog. Which makes this USB pretty dang compatible with a lot of Controller plugins I've tried it out with.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

0llllo, I agree with most of what you say, and it is a shame that the HDMI add on for the N64 is so expensive, and it's strange and annoying that Gamecube and Wii emulation via Dolphin is more compatible and accurate than any present N64 emulator.

But at the moment, the fact that N64 emulation is so unsatisfactory is reason enough (to me) to use the real N64. And the N64 is mostly still great for use, provided your TV can display it properly (which some modern TVs can't, sadly). On the other hand, N64 emulators can display the games in higher resolutions, which tends to look utterly fantastic compared to the low resolution and slightly blurred images of the real N64.

Maybe when CEN64 and other totally accurate N64 emulators are finished, and can run on then-modern PCs, then I might be tempted to use emulators exclusively, but for now the N64 is absolutely fine for me. You fell differently, and that's great, we all have our own opinions and tastes, of course.

Quote:
...Perfect Dark is best enjoyed in the 360...

Not to me. I don't like the changes to things like the explosions (which are over too quickly, so don't allow the 'tactic' of shooting through them at an enemy who can't move through the explosions or he'd die), and the way the Combat Boost operates. There are other changes I don't like, but I can't offhand remember them, it's been so long since I played the 360 version. For me, the N64 version is THE version to play.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I joined a Super Mario 64 hacking forum today, and asked why this problem existed (my post is at: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=86336&)and why it hasn't been solved after all this time. The bloke (I assume, as his/her username doesn't seem to appear!) says "The current maintainer of the major hacking tools doesn't have much interested in console compatibility and keeps the source closed", which isn't hopeful.

He also posted a link:

https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=78265

which contains some interesting information (most of it over my head), but the reserch/work seems to be progressing slowly, so we'll have to see if anything really becomes of it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks pretty cool, but I don't really care for the name. Though I'm sure there are people who questioned my choice of GoldenEye X. It doesn't feel like something Nintendo would call a Mario game. Other than that tiny nitpick, and the fact these hacks don't run on console, I'm sure it would be a great treat for SM64 fans to play.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well I gave this rom hack a good run, Collected every star and boy I must say I had a lot of fun. Sadly after the first area of the game is completed. And you get passed the first key door, the game just up's the difficulty hardcore.

I'd died many times due to how high the difficulty got. But knowing me, I love a hard game haha.

Once I made it to the third and final part of the game. That was pretty much my breaking point. The stages got way to dang hard, and the 15th course was just to much for me. I've actually had moments of shutting down the game and taking a full blown two day break due to how much hell this level put me though. The final stage is complete bull. Managing it on a single run took me ages of perfecting the dang stage. The amount of game overs I've gotten due to it just ruined my fun entirely.

Besides all of that, I would say the rom hack is actually really fun. The game looks really nice, and I've not run into that many glitches thank god. The levels we're all well thought out too and I had loads of fun exploring them all. Except course 15 though. That level can just go straight to hell itself.

Here my complete game progress from a image I took.

It was nice that the game actually kept the stats of how many game overs and how many hours spent playing though the mod itself.

This game was done 100% without savestates.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WOW you figured it all by yourself Shocked Pffft only 19 deaths

Is collecting 100 coins in a level a star still ?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Seems like Mario games are often given the high difficulty treatment on ROM hacks. Which is fine for experts, but can be extremely frustrating for anyone else. At least you kept at it, and managed to complete the game without resorting to any kind of cheats.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's a whole class of SM64 hacks that require you to use those silly glitches, etc. Waiting for the first that requires triple or quadruple PU. At some point some jerk will just string together random stuff with no thought to how it could be played, claim it's a TAS-only mod, and people will find a way to win.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:
WOW you figured it all by yourself Shocked Pffft only 19 deaths

Is collecting 100 coins in a level a star still ?

Yeah 100 coin stars are still collectable in Last Impact.

And Mario rom hacks are indeed often given the "Kaizo" treatment. Which is fine with me as long I am warned before playing it. The final world did not give off that treatment, but it was intense and very hard if you do it all without any savestates.

I also dislike the need to use any glitches to finish a rom hack personally, I try to avoid those type of roms because I think it's complete bull haha.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: