ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

1964 60FPS bundle for GoldenEye/Perfect Dark (2022/01/19)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnivorous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No - engines are hardcoded to run at 60. Wait for decomp and for someone to write an interpolation layer over game logic.

TauAkiou
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a huge fan of gyroscope aiming, an aiming configuration typically used in Splatoon 2 and primarily pushed on PC by Jibb Smart and the community built around the feature. More information on gyro aim can be found here: http://gyrowiki.jibbsmart.com/

The original KB/M plugin worked with third party programs like JoyShockMapper but with some limitations, such as only being able to use the system KB/M, locking the game to one player at a time.

So, I took the route that any sensible human would take and wrote a new version in C++ using SDL2. Did I have to, and should I have? Probably not.

The end result is a plugin that works with pretty much every input device but also uses the motion sensors on various controllers to emulate mouse movement if they're available. It also comes with a few experimental tricks, like decoupling the gyro and right stick in a way that allows the gyro to control the crosshair independently from the camera.

I'm primarily bringing it up here because the plugin exists, can be built, and works, but is incomplete. It's a huge mess and needs some serious refactoring work done. I don't know when I'm going to be able to work on it again, but I figured that anyone curious may want to take a look at it.

Github: https://github.com/TauAkiou/1964-plugin-joyshock

Also, Carnivorous + Stolen, a personal thanks to you for writing and developing this plugin - it's probably one of the best things to have happened to these games short of the full decompilation projects.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats for managing to read that code - it's my first project and frankly I'm embarrassed that people are reading/modifying it 5 years down the line.

I don't know C++ so I cannot comment on your refactor, but I can imagine how frustrating it must have been to get it functional with modern C++. If you restart this project in the future, consider targeting Drahsid's fork of mupen64 instead. They've added scripting capabilities for mouse input, and adding additional SDL input calls to the wren interface wouldn't be too difficult. And the fact that it isn't tied to windows is a plus.

Anyway, great job - sorry about the mess you had to work with.

TauAkiou
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I certainly wouldn't say porting the code was all that bad. The only code I absolutely discarded was the WinForms UI and config saving code, since I found it far too difficult to work with and extend the ways I wanted. This came with its own horrible headaches (QT is a absolute nightmare to get working statically, and the GUI doesn't work right, though I can blame my own inexperience for that). The rest of the major code went through quite cleanly.

I'd say that the end result, however, getting 4 players in-game with full mouse-like controls on gyro-enabled controllers was worth the effort. I'll definitely see if I can port this to Drahsid's fork, however - the Linux support is pretty important to me and WINE doesn't cleanly support passing through SDL controllers to windows apps. (The plugin 'sees' them, but won't process input properly.) I'll definitely keep everyone here in touch, as well.

I took a video awhile ago that demonstrated the 'free aim' hack, which worked far better then it really should have (Barring a few unusual bugs, such as a constant rightward drift). Here if is if anyone was interested in seeing how that worked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcUWD-GlJMc

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed when using Shunyuans Direct input Perfect Dark only runs at 30fps but when using Nrages input plugin PD runs at 60fps. Is this something that could be fixed/adjusted?

I find Shunyuans plugin to be more suitable for the Xbox one controllers I use when I have friends over for multiplayer matches.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm unable to recreate the bug so unfortunately I cannot debug/fix this - sorry

Xii-Nyth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Perfect Dark texture pack gradually unloads itself Reply with quote Back to top

When using the pack provided by Trov, the textures will show the first time they are displayed, then will revert to the original. (for example the stars and thumbnails on level select will show but once I load a level then abort it they will be gone)

What is strange is the htc files remain the same, Ive tried setting as read only. Yet if I reload 1964 they still wont be loaded. If I replace the files from a backup, with the same names and file size (identical besides date accessed, they do get loaded one time again.

Its probably something to do with glide, but I was wondering if Trov still had this issue when his textures were not in the .htc format, since that would be an easier way to solve the problem assuming you could easily package all the textures to load with the rom (I'm not familiar with n64 texture packs).

The problem exists on multiple PCs so it should be easy to re create. The only other thing I suspected was that reshade was drawing the old textures on top of the new ones but toggling that off made no difference.

Thanks!

Edit: found out in the newest build of glide n64 (2021) there is a toggle and reload key added. Toggling off and on will keep the textures, but once reloading them they stop appearing (they do re appear after reloading 1964 in this case). I dont have reshade on this pc so that definately isn't it.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, could you try redownloading 1964 and seeing if the problem happens with GLideN64 2020/2021?

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

would it be possible to make this emulator more compatable with frontends? Like ive tried to set this emulator up with LaunchBox but i dont think the comands are working to open a rom up via comand lines.

these are the line im trying to use but do not seam to work.

1964 [-f] [-v video_plugin_filename] [-a audio_plugin_filename] [-c controller_plugin_filename] [-r directory] [-g rom_full_filename]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carnivorous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Full command line arguments with examples are located in the BUNDLE_README.txt FAQ

Xii-Nyth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Suggestion Reply with quote Back to top

Would it be possible to force the high res textures in perfect dark in low res mode? This would be a huge help if its possible because I'm getting 50 fps with my reshade maxed out.

Or keep the high res textures but disable the horizontal resolution doubling?

Also minor issue with discord rich presence not working for me, I could just be doing something wrong as I'm not an expert at discord related stuff

Images are sorta big so Ill just post this gallery:
https://imgur.com/gallery/C1gQ9jn

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Xii-Nyth wrote:
Would it be possible to force the high res textures in perfect dark in low res mode? This would be a huge help if its possible because I'm getting 50 fps with my reshade maxed out.

Assuming by 'low res mode' you mean the in-game video option called 'Hi-Res', the font texture pack should work no matter what setting this option is set to. Not to mention, 'Hi-Res' mode has little effect for HLE video plugins such as GLideN64, as the plugin is rendering to an arbitrary resolution anyway - this only benefits LLE video plugins/console.

Xii-Nyth wrote:
Also minor issue with discord rich presence not working for me, I could just be doing something wrong as I'm not an expert at discord related stuff

Ensure you have downloaded the correct 1964 build from github.

Xii-Nyth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Low res/high res and discord stuff Reply with quote Back to top

Carnivorous wrote:
Xii-Nyth wrote:

Assuming by 'low res mode' you mean the in-game video option called 'Hi-Res', the font texture pack should work no matter what setting this option is set to. Not to mention, 'Hi-Res' mode has little effect for HLE video plugins such as GLideN64, as the plugin is rendering to an arbitrary resolution anyway - this only benefits LLE video plugins/console.

Just for clarification yes I did mean the button under video in perfect dark.

As far as I knew it did still change some of the textures in game like it did on an n64 (such as the stem of the eyepiece in a menu). And I'm referring to the games textures, not the user interface ones from the texture pack (which are working for me now).

I may have missed a change in gliden64 which doesn't have this happen anymore but I know for sure the same thing happens with high res in other games such as rogue squadron so it would've had to be a specific 'fix' for perfect dark.

Edit: they are still on the menu for sure at least, changes to ui are minor like the width on the health bar being slightly wider
https://imgur.com/a/hq1sUBF

[side note a texture pack with the perfect dark recon hd textures would be cool if possible, retaining the current fonts thumbnails and icons ofc]

Xii-Nyth wrote:
Carnivorous wrote:

Ensure you have downloaded the correct 1964 build from github.

Yeah not sure whats going on, I redownloaded just in case and still no luck. Tried using this tool to make my own and its working. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH1HcjTOg6A&t

I might just be being a dummy and missed something saying to add a specific file in discord and not 1964.exe, but I was also assuming that whatever is supposed to do it is automatically detected by discord. (maybe it just cant see it since it doesn't have access to look at my n64 folder which is directly in my C drive? 7zip has similar issues even while running as admin)

Not of huge priority anyways since discord seems to mess some stuff up where I could get a repeatable crash in PD when loading into a level while streaming, and have the screen flip upside down for a single frame in Rogue Squadron, etc.

And for the time being netplay with this doesn't really exist the same way it does with m64p since its just too much work for 2 games I guess (I think there was a input plugin that added it or something lol).

Oh right and entirely unrelated, I just remembered that when looking down loing hallways such as the firing range the textures seem to get all shuffled as if there is no anisotropic filtering, not sure how that stuff works in perfect dark since the depth buffer is only over your weapon, not sure where to mention this to gonetz sorry.

Edit: did a fresh install of discord and run 1964 from a different directory, to no avail sadly.
https://imgur.com/a/laBcuAG

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi-res mode does not change the textures, it only changes the video output and framebuffer effects [which HLE handles interdependently anyway]. The textures are the same regardless of output resolution.

Quote:
Edit: they are still on the menu for sure at least, changes to ui are minor like the width on the health bar being slightly wider

This is due to the slight ratio change from the output resolution. Hi-res mode is worse for HLE overall - don't use it.

Quote:
Oh right and entirely unrelated, I just remembered that when looking down loing hallways such as the firing range the textures seem to get all shuffled as if there is no anisotropic filtering, not sure how that stuff works in perfect dark since the depth buffer is only over your weapon, not sure where to mention this to gonetz sorry.

Depth buffer is reset when the rendering pipeline starts drawing view models, but for GE it is handled differently. Because PD has reload animations that makes draw sorting triangles impossible they opted to using z-buffer. This is simply a design decision and unavoidable.

Quote:
Yeah not sure whats going on, I redownloaded just in case and still no luck. Tried using this tool to make my own and its working. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH1HcjTOg6A&t

I might just be being a dummy and missed something saying to add a specific file in discord and not 1964.exe, but I was also assuming that whatever is supposed to do it is automatically detected by discord. (maybe it just cant see it since it doesn't have access to look at my n64 folder which is directly in my C drive? 7zip has similar issues even while running as admin)

Discord rich presence SDK that the mouse injector uses is now discontinued - I will be removing this in a future update. Sorry.

Quote:
Edit: did a fresh install of discord and run 1964 from a different directory, to no avail sadly.

The description for Perfect Dark Rev A ROM implies this version of 1964 is from over a year ago. If this is a new install then you downloaded 1964 from the wrong github repo, or from a mirror that I have zero involvement with. Please redownload 1964 from the link in the first post and see if this resolves your issue.

Xii-Nyth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote Back to top

Carnivorous wrote:
Hi-res mode does not change the textures, it only changes the video output and framebuffer effects [which HLE handles interdependently anyway]. The textures are the same regardless of output resolution.

Quote:

This is due to the slight ratio change from the output resolution. Hi-res mode is worse for HLE overall - don't use it.

Quote:
Oh right and entirely unrelated, I just remembered that when looking down long hallways such as the firing range the textures seem to get all shuffled as if there is no anisotropic filtering, not sure how that stuff works in perfect dark since the depth buffer is only over your weapon, not sure where to mention this to gonetz sorry.

Depth buffer is reset when the rendering pipeline starts drawing view models, but for GE it is handled differently. Because PD has reload animations that makes draw sorting triangles impossible they opted to using z-buffer. This is simply a design decision and unavoidable.

Quote:

Discord rich presence SDK that the mouse injector uses is now discontinued - I will be removing this in a future update. Sorry.

Quote:

The description for Perfect Dark Rev A ROM implies this version of 1964 is from over a year ago. If this is a new install then you downloaded 1964 from the wrong github repo, or from a mirror that I have zero involvement with. Please redownload 1964 from the link in the first post and see if this resolves your issue.

Oh yeah just grabbed that rom off of the n64 rom archive v2 by ghostware on the internet archive. IS it better to use the one from the old 1964 GEPD internet archive page? or is there one on github I'm missing? Havent had any other issues besides the rich presence which you mentioned is because the input plugin no longer supports it (its still called discordrpc.dll? lol).

Thanks for the heads up about the hi res mode! I guess I've been hurting my performance for no reason other than to make this have an outline on the octagonal prism and to have a less blurry texture on the piece hidden behind the menu.

Maybe the doors on attack ship have a different lod also? They get very blocky but I might've just never noticed before since I don't like that level xD.

As for the thing with anisotropic filtering, does this mean I should shut it off entirely in pd to save performance? or is there something that it still works on? (not a huge noticeable hit in performance anyways when looking at frametimes with speed sync off)

Finally during cutscenes or with the camera of the slayer perfect dark goes from seeing the depth buffer of just the weapon model and the hand to the whole scene. (not with camspys), more curious why this is since really the only one which causes a slowdown when I don't want it is the slayer in multiplayer, basically forcing me to shut my reshade off if we are playing with slayers. Again more of a question for gonetz but he is hard to get a hold of.

Other than the above, specifically the textures, any other minor issues are due to 1964 being old like the game getting stuttery after loading saves states, sometimes until you close 1964 and reopen it,
or that specifically the crossbow, or when looking at extreme angles, the back of the platforms of the elevators in the ci building have some aliasing unless I go from 8x to 16x msaa,
the experience is perfect and better than the xbox version.

By the way do you or gonetz have a patreon or something? Thanks for all the work!

Quick edit: is there a way to resize the window? why using scaling in windows you have to do this

And that makes the text too big to fit in the window, and for some reason the width of the game name section keeps resetting to the default.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 51 of 53

Jump to: