ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Why do the Levels have no standard/solid size ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Why do the Levels have no standard/solid size ? Reply with quote Back to top

When I´m going to import the Tower from Dam into Runway, it´s supersized.

I scaled the Tower to 50 percent that it has a good high for walking in it.
As you can see, the original tower from dam is much bigger, and never fits to runway if i just import it.

Is there a way how to export Level to .obj that alle have the same size and also have a good size when I import them into the Editor? ( Or also have a good size when I import ir into Map Editor )

And I´m also wondering why it is like that?
Doesnt the original level designer haven´t a same size for it? Or is this size made by the Editor itselfe?

Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Use the export level scaled to obj option to normalize exports to 1.0 scale.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For GE-X, I need to rescale all the levels to 1.0, since the game doesn't use a value to scale the level files (background, clipping and pads). So something like the Facility to Runway connection is very close, needing only minor adjustments to line up. If you rescaled Runway and a Dam tower to 1.0, it would all be a better fit.

But, since you are only adding a few towers to Runway, I think what you are doing is the best way. Keep Runway the normal size, and just add in some resized guard towers.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do beware though that when importing rooms in that manner, bullets and grenades won't travel properly through the room if it is completely surrounded by another room. This is why bullets don't travel properly in multiplayer in Surface - the inner cabins are completely surrounded by other rooms and that causes bullets to travel through the walls.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If he imports the towers each as new rooms, I wonder if he can just use special visibility commands to show them and allow for proper bullet travel? Sort of like the tanks in Facility, on each side of the grey hallway. Otherwise, they will have to be merged into the room they are positioned inside. Clipping might be a touch tricky, though. Much simpler in Perfect Dark.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well yeah i wanna extend Runway. So i did the hangar and this one looks really nice..

But I also want to extend the Runway where to clsoed door is left from the big gun, and for this i need the same scale.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So I have to following Problem:

Runway has a scale of 0.0895714313

Facility has 1.2064800262

I have to original Runway importet into my Graphiceditor, so it should have the Scale 0.0895714313.

So i opened a new File in the Editor - Facility UsetupArkZ.bin with new scale 0.0895714313.

I did " Export Full Level to .obj" and "Export Full Level Sclaed to .obj"

Both .obj Files are to big. Thats strange.

I think I have to do everything again from scratch, that Runway and Facility will fit. Man that sucks , but however: I learn and getting better.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I got always the same problem: When I´m gonna to import them, facility is always to big and I export both " Export Full Level Scaled to .obj " and "Export Full Level to .obj" I opened both with 1.0 Scale.
I also tryied several settings in my .obj Importer, but it doesnt work.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
If he imports the towers each as new rooms, I wonder if he can just use special visibility commands to show them and allow for proper bullet travel? Sort of like the tanks in Facility, on each side of the grey hallway. Otherwise, they will have to be merged into the room they are positioned inside. Clipping might be a touch tricky, though. Much simpler in Perfect Dark.

I'd have to test to be certain (because its been a while since I last worked on anything like this) but if I recall, this is more of a clipping issue than a visibility issue. If you're standing on a clipping tile tied to a specific room ID and you shoot your gun towards any other point in the room, the bullet doesn't care that there's another room in the way, so it just goes right through it and hits whatever object or BG tile exists within the same room you're standing on. The Surface cabins are the perfect example - if you're standing outside of a cabin and looking through a window to the interior and shoot through the window opening, your bullet ignores the inner cabin wall and actually stops at the outer cabin wall on the other side because that wall is still part of the same room you're standing in. The inner cabin is essentially an island surrounded by 1 room which bullets ignore completely. So attaching global visibilities to the room or making mass portals doesn't fix the problem.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DF Ank1 wrote:
Both .obj Files are to big. Thats strange.

I think I have to do everything again from scratch, that Runway and Facility will fit. Man that sucks , but however: I learn and getting better.

Perhaps an easier solution is the way I've done this in the past (and I'm sure Subdrag will post here if the process is now much simpler than when I used to do this). My process went something like this:

1 - Open your setup file (Runway)
2 - Go to the Visual editor
3 - From Room Positions Mode, Export Room Positions to Text File

This will export all the bg data files as well as a room positions text file. Then close the editor, and re-open using a setup file for the level you want to "steal" some rooms from (in your case, Dam)

4 - Go to room positions mode and start deleting all the rooms you don't want, leaving just the ones you want to import (such as the tower rooms)
5 - Export Room Positions to Text file (make sure not to overwrite the file you created in number 3, make sure it is called something different), making sure to use the same folder you exported to in step 3.

Now what you should have is all the rooms you want in one folder.

6 - Close the editor.
7 - Copy and paste the room data from the room positions file for the dam to the end of the room positions file for the runway. Make sure to NOT copy the first line (00000....NULL) or the last line (@@@@@....) and then save this text file.

If I recall, Runway has something like 11 or 12 rooms. So if you import say 3 towers, you'll have like 15 lines of room data in your new text file. There is one line of text per room - the first 3 numbers represent coordinates of the room in the level, the last 3 represent the indicie/verticie files.

8 - Re-open the editor. Open your original setup file (Runway) and from room positions mode, choose EXPORT FULL BACKGROUND FILE.
9 - It will now ask you for the room positions file. Choose your modified file.
10 - The remaining are for indicie/verticie files. Use the auto-filled defaults and save those.

Once you've done this, you should now have open in your editor all your rooms, but the imported runway rooms will not be in the correct place or be the correct size. In room positions mode, you can both MOVE and RESIZE the rooms using the move/resize arrow buttons. Once you have your rooms the size you want and in the position you want.....

11 - One at a time for each new room, highlight the room and Choose "Export Room ORIGINAL VERTICES -> GE Format" and select the room number (should have a checkmark next to it).
12 - rewrite the indice/vertice files with the auto-filled data.
13 - Choose EXPORT ROOM POSITIONS TO TEXT FILE and overwrite the old file. This will put the correct coordinates into the room positions file.

Now you're almost done. The final thing I would do is tweak the numbers in the room positions file to be nice and round so everything lines up correctly. For example, if the coordinates for your new rooms look like this:

44368073 43c8ff04 4443c020

I would change them to:

44368000 43c90000 4443c000

Once you do that, you can one last time choose "Export Full background file", choose your room positions file, and export. This will overwrite the bg file and everything should be done.

Now I've never used project mode so I don't know how to save all that as a project but all your bg and room position files would be correct.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: