ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE-X 5e Patch Released! @ 12-24-16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Wreck,
Thanks for posting. I was looking at this as a technical problem which I thought I could solve (and think I have on those terms). You make excellent points which I hadn't considered regarding the Sims and dual wielding issues. I think the body armour is essentially similar to how you have done it.

I guess the pistols thing is minor. I suspect the reason I looked into it (and maybe the same for others) is simply that it was my favourite setting. GE-X is such an impressive feat and I wanted to see if it was possible to fully recreate it using the updated engine.

Using a similar system my suggestion is essentially 2x weak, 2x fair, 2x good, 1x almost best, 1x best (GG) and 2x armour.

As Thundera says, I mentioned the menu as an afterthought when I was possibly getting a bit carried away. I am aware that such a change would be an entirely different problem. I am, however, pretty confident that the solution would work across the board. If you wanted to try an alternative version then I think it could be reworked to put the body armour last and keep to 1 Golden Gun but it would mean the pistols were still slightly wrong.

At the end of the day it is entirely up to you. If nothing else, it was interesting academic excercise.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I put together a rough and ready spreadsheet to test out the presets, mine or any others that use the PD engine. Hopefully it may also be of use to anyone constructing their own PD map:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jo5bvcq0utw4yuj/weapons.xls

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've downloaded your example and will run some tests very soon.

As for other updates on GE-X, I really don't have any. Pavarini had sent me a new reload animation for the Phantom a while back, but I have yet to import it. I've been neglecting the project while focusing on some other things (PD Plus, a custom GE mission, and Resident Evil 2 modding). I've spent nearly a decade on and off GoldenEye X, from the very early days of initial testing. So to keep myself from going completely bonkers, I try to do other stuff. It's a project that feels like it will never end, and it's met with more critiscms with each release. While I appreciate the continued support, with people only trying to help improve the experience, it just puts more stress on the next patch expectations. There's never more than three of us working on GE-X content at once, in our spare time, with whatever knowledge we've procured over the years. I'd love to have more progress in the mission campaign by now, but there are still a lot of unknowns in Perfect Dark, especially when it comes to enemy characters. It's incredibly awesome and impressive to see what is happening with GE modding nowadays, but until PD is better dissected, GE-X will not truly live up to its great potential.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I'd love to have more progress in the mission campaign by now, but there are still a lot of unknowns in Perfect Dark, especially when it comes to enemy characters. It's incredibly awesome and impressive to see what is happening with GE modding nowadays, but until PD is better dissected, GE-X will not truly live up to its great potential.

As Miyamoto himself said : “A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”

Take your time with the project, while I'm sure everyone is eager for the next patch, we must all understand that we all have our own daily lives and own personal projects, it'll come when the time is right, be it tomorrow, next month or in a few years, as long as the end product lives up to expectation, I personally have no issues with waiting.

Everyone that has contributed to this project deserves a "Thank you.". We all highly appreciate the work that has been put into this project.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hear hear!

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I've downloaded your example and will run some tests very soon.
Thanks Wreck. I tinkered with Temple and Complex (using the PD versions as I don't have the GE ones) for proof of concept and the system works with all weapons variants.

As to time for patch, I echo PaRaDoX in that we can be patient. I'm sorry if you get so much criticism, I hope I speak for us all when I say the project is fantastic and the work that has already gone in to it definitely shows. In my line of work when we publish something we are told that criticism is the highest form of praise. I don't know if that is true or just something to makes us feel better. Like being crapped on by a bird is supposed to be "good luck"... Also, apparently optimal compliment: criticism ratio is 5.6 or more.

For my part with the weapons sets, it wasn't my intention to be critical. I was thinking of this as a bug fix. As I mentioned before, if you're not happy with the aesthetic I have an alternative solution which works for Golden Gun but doesn't fix the pistols.

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WOW! it's finally nice to hear something in regards to GE-X coming from the man himself. After nearly a year (which is pretty damn long time) we hear something back on it. I think I can speak for most GE-X enthusiasts here like myself in that we appreciate the efforts you take in releasing these patch updates. You don't have to go bonkers to begin work progress on GE-X. I think we all would appreciate even the smallest update patch release if it came to it. So there's no need to go crazy fixing every single bug. Little by little jot them down and work on them. Even if it means you fix one bug in this patch and then fix another for another patch release. I think we can all appreciate that. And by the way, I'm not trying to make you go bonkers with the list of bugs to look into in the last page. That's just me trying to help you to have them on your notes so that when the time comes you can look at each one little by little when you have the spare time.

Wreck you mentioned something about the dual wielding with sims and only having one Golden Gun but you forget two things. 1. If someone already has a Golden Gun and you just happen to have one yourself you can grab theirs and then duel wield them. 2. If you see that sims have advantage of mowing you down quick with duel wielding or the KF7 Soviet then one can always increase the player handicap percentage. I tried it against sims and I last longer and can remain with the Golden Gun for a longer period of time. Especially if able to grab body armor.

And i also would love to see the Pistols weapon set fixed as well for the next patch. That way it evens both weapons out across the maps and creates more of a chance to duel wield both the Dostovei and PP7 Silenced.

Also I think Pavarini wanted to send you the fix he did for the buggy instrument sample. I'm not sure if he's fixed it a lot more since but months ago he wanted you to add it into the next patch when work progress begins. Not sure if he ever did send it to you.

Well I hope we do hear more from you Wreck in regards to progress on GE-X. And like I said even if it's a small update I will take it. Heck I think any GE-X player here would. Just take your time and work on the project little by little. Smile

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We can only hope people with competence to do so, will switch to PD's engine and make some research on it.
With GE:X at its current state, we only need to understand IA better and there won't be any more reason to make custom map on GE's engine.
Everything's just better on PD's engine.

The fact that you can play with scale with GE doesn't even count, since the main complain about GF64 is that level are too big lol.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After much messing around and failing to alter the rom when injecting files (as I'm too much of an amateur to work out what I'm doing wrong) I have 3 roms as proof of concept.

I'm afraid I lack the finesse to do it as one rom so have done one each for Complex, Temple and Felicity (the only "GE" levels I can tinker with in PD). I have put together rough and ready weapon sets to simulate what would happen in GE (F2=PP7, F2scope=DD44, Magsec=Klobb, CMP=ZMG, Cyclone=D5K, otherwise self-explanatory). Apologies if there are errors here, if there are it's just in my execution. I worked out how to alter the weapon sets but I wasn't sure how to save them so had to redo them for both roms.

There were also a couple of minor changes, Complex weapons are sometimes in different locations but nearby so I haven't bothered to move them. Same true for Felicity although I've moved one out of main corridor back into room.

There are a few extra weapon locations (Complex: top floor of what I call the "ridge room", ground floor of the room between "ridge room" and vent; Temple in the passageway near the GG room; Felicity in room with the pillar) which I have assigned weapons which seem vaguely appropriate.

As before they are in the dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7e7qyt9jsegbzrt/AABtX2KjtagCm_2e-IskBOz3a

killedbyurmom
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for everything Wreck, Subdrag, Pavarini, Trevor (and the rest of the team)..I've had a lot of fun over the years with GoldenEye X. Like mentioned before, even the smallest last update would be appreciated

Last edited by killedbyurmom on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I started on a small Christmas related treat, and am hoping Trevor can lend his talented hand to it. Now, I am not promising a December release, but hopefully not too far off. Depends on what can be done, what we get into, and what time we have to actually focus on the project. I got a small shot in the arm while watching a recent live stream on YouTube, so my attention has been redirected to GE-X.

Here is what may make its way in right now...

2 more missions in progress
1 new character (body and head)
Dam WIP Map by MRKane
Platinum Gun in VR

There are other things shown or mentioned throughout this thread, which I won't get into here. I highly doubt any new maps will make it in for VR, although I had my eye on something before. We'll see...

The instrument "fix" was tested, and I found different issues with it. Nothing seems perfect, and playing with headphones certainly makes it stand out worse.

Should Dark Reyn's weapon set adjustment do the trick, I do not plan on redoing the locations to match GE. I stick by my decision to move some to new locations, and to spread identical pickups apart further. While you can get a pairing by picking up a fallen weapon (should it be the sister version), it still requires you to move around more. Hmm, this also makes me wonder if Dark Reyn's formula still allows for proper dual wielding, as I can't recall if picking up two separate "F0" guns does it, or if one would need to be an "F5" for it to work (based on the standard layout).

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Should Dark Reyn's weapon set adjustment do the trick, I do not plan on redoing the locations to match GE. I stick by my decision to move some to new locations, and to spread identical pickups apart further. While you can get a pairing by picking up a fallen weapon (should it be the sister version), it still requires you to move around more.
I agree. Just from what little I did for the 3 maps, illustrated that some weapons do fall close together, body armour is sometimes too close to weapons and some changes they made for the PD versions made more sense. I too found myself making minor tweaks.

Wreck wrote:
Hmm, this also makes me wonder if Dark Reyn's formula still allows for proper dual wielding, as I can't recall if picking up two separate "F0" guns does it, or if one would need to be an "F5" for it to work (based on the standard layout).
Good point, I hadn't considered that. I have just checked and it makes no difference. Two F0 locations enable dual wield.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, so after some pretty thorough testing in Archives, I can confirm that Dark Reyn's new arrangement does exactly as it was intended. All weapon sets matched GoldenEye, including both Pistols and Golden Gun. Pairs can also all be used, even if the initial weapon ID matches between them. I'm not nearly as bothered by the way the weapons appear inside the select menu as I first thought I might be, either. Now I will have to go through the process of updating all the setup files. I've already dealt with the weapon sets, but will also have to deal with all thirty assignments. Might be a little bit to take care of it all and test, especially as not all setups match GE in weapon placement or ordering. Hopefully this will satisfy those players who have been wanting the two sets modified to reflect the original game better.

Thank you, Dark Reyn. I apologize for not taking more time to try this out when you first got into contact with me. Glad you joined up here and brought the subject back up again. Smile

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Woops, wrong one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 42 of 64

Jump to: