ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE-X 5e Patch Released! @ 12-24-16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Having said I would tag out for a bit... I don’t think you can call anything unprofessional when it is not a profession but a hobby. Perhaps in hindsight if Wreck had said he was putting the project on hiatus for a year or indefinitely that would be clearer. But the reality is, no doubt, that he’s keen not to disappoint anyone but needs to recharge his batteries before he comes back to it. I can think of many things where I’ve done the same, said I’d do something soon but it’s open ended and not top priority.

Maybe having someone else taking the reigns would make sense but I suspect that it’s such a large project with so many disparate pieces that the handover / catching up process would be as long as Wreck doing it himself and the same would likely be true on his return. If someone wanted to take it on or take a version in a different direction, I don’t think Wreck would object, it’s all open after all. I would have loved to have the time to do Golden Dark multiplayer which I’m naively assuming would involve clearing a lot of the single player data in order to make space for PD maps and weapons and possibly some work on reducing texture numbers.

Whether or not it’s what people want at this point, we have to remain patient and accept that time frames are merely estimates with best of intentions.

As before, I would prefer to look at the positives, and again put out there the option of playing GEX online to get the most enjoyment out of it. That’s what this is about really isn’t it? Multiplayer has far and away the most replay value, especially against humans. I’m sure that as passionate fans we end up spending more time discussing and making things than actually playing and enjoying them, which is ironic really. Please don’t let us descend into arguments over something we all agree is a fantastic piece of work and that Wreck has put so much work into already, we don’t want to seem ungrateful. I do appreciate the work done which must have been onerous indeed.

Sincere thanks Wreck, if resuming the project is open ended, fair enough, I will wait, with eagerness and enthusiasm. If I had the time to feel impatient, then I could learn to work on modding and do something about it, but unfortunately spare time is in short supply.
All the best and stay safe everyone.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dark Reyn wrote:

Sincere thanks Wreck, if resuming the project is open ended, fair enough, I will wait, with eagerness and enthusiasm. If I had the time to feel impatient, then I could learn to work on modding and do something about it, but unfortunately spare time is in short supply.
All the best and stay safe everyone.

Beautifully said and I could not agree more!

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lol

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would also like to throw my two cents in, Wreck has been nothing but a class act towards me personally, anytime I’ve ever messaged him or emailed him any questions or concerns I’ve had with my own mod, he has gone above and beyond to answer or even make the changes necessary himself. So while Wreck might be known most for GoldenEye X, chances are he has his hands in numerous other projects at the same time.
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Trickle
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In its current state, the multiplayer is still fun as hell to play.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd just like to thank those of you who have stood up for my work and my character. It's a small community, and always nice to have people cooperating with one another. Silly arguments and squabbles are unimportant and do more harm than good.

I do have one response, though. I feel worth saying, anyway. I am not professional in different ways...

I have zero education in the field of programming. I've considered myself a "dumb" hacker for many years, now. I have good instincts, and have a knack at figuring out things with patterns. But can I write assembly code? Absolutely not.

I don't get paid. There was no Kickstarter, no Gofundme, no Patreon, no monetization through Facebook or YouTube, no charitable donations. In fact, other people have made money off of GoldenEye X, rather than anyone who actually had a part in making it. Guys putting the ROM onto a cartridge and selling it on sites like Etsy. Hell, I bought a GE-X cart sticker off a site, just so I could have something physical to show. Even popular streamers who do live videos can be gifted money by their audience while playing various mods that have been released over the years. GE-X has been a free to download mod since the beginning, and I've never asked for (or received) a cent from it. I just want gamers to have a new and enhanced way to experience one of the best FPS titles ever released.

And I'm also not a Skelux, or Kaze, or Mark Kurko. These guys who can somehow juggle multiple projects, all while keeping people up to date and in the loop. But they also have a much larger following of fans and supporters. Dealing with Mario or Zelda tends to gain far more attention than just about anything else when it comes to game mods. While GoldenEye was a massive success and still talked about, the community is tiny by comparison. And speedrunning is in another category. There are many GE runners out there, but most of them could give a crap about mods. We're in very separate worlds, with little crossover.

That's that. All I wanted to say.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Things that make sense.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

F

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To ask the forbidden question: What can we add to a rom hack to make it so that it cannot be distributed by bootleggers?

Trickle
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I'd just like to thank those of you who have stood up for my work and my character. It's a small community, and always nice to have people cooperating with one another. Silly arguments and squabbles are unimportant and do more harm than good.

I do have one response, though. I feel worth saying, anyway. I am not professional in different ways...

I have zero education in the field of programming. I've considered myself a "dumb" hacker for many years, now. I have good instincts, and have a knack at figuring out things with patterns. But can I write assembly code? Absolutely not.

I don't get paid. There was no Kickstarter, no Gofundme, no Patreon, no monetization through Facebook or YouTube, no charitable donations. In fact, other people have made money off of GoldenEye X, rather than anyone who actually had a part in making it. Guys putting the ROM onto a cartridge and selling it on sites like Etsy. Hell, I bought a GE-X cart sticker off a site, just so I could have something physical to show. Even popular streamers who do live videos can be gifted money by their audience while playing various mods that have been released over the years. GE-X has been a free to download mod since the beginning, and I've never asked for (or received) a cent from it. I just want gamers to have a new and enhanced way to experience one of the best FPS titles ever released.

And I'm also not a Skelux, or Kaze, or Mark Kurko. These guys who can somehow juggle multiple projects, all while keeping people up to date and in the loop. But they also have a much larger following of fans and supporters. Dealing with Mario or Zelda tends to gain far more attention than just about anything else when it comes to game mods. While GoldenEye was a massive success and still talked about, the community is tiny by comparison. And speedrunning is in another category. There are many GE runners out there, but most of them could give a crap about mods. We're in very separate worlds, with little crossover.

That's that. All I wanted to say.

The attention to detail, project leadership, and time dedicated to the smallest of fixes make your work remarkable for the community. You're right about the names you mentioned, I have NO IDEA how they have that much time to juggle so many projects. I have video game ADD as it is, so I actually get overwhelmed by the amount of ROMS they pump out. I'm more impressed by hacks that are optimal for real hardware and they seem to finally be going in that direction.

But GoldenEye X is easily in my top 5 favorite hacks of all time and I mean that across every retro community I've stumbled upon. I'm fortunate enough to still have a handful of friends that actually like to play on older consoles still, so we've spent many nights finishing Assignments in Goldeneye X. When I was as young as 14, I've always wondered what Goldeneye 007 would be like in the Perfect Dark engine and your contribution made that a reality. I don't agree with the way some people badger you to continue on with a project you only do out of love, I've been in that place before. But just know that also means they love your hack that much Wink

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thundera8589 wrote:
I do agree and hope that one day GE-X will be enjoyed in all it's full glory

its***

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Apologies, as this is slightly off topic and strictly speaking belongs in the emulation section, but my friends and I have finally got round to setting up an emulator that we can all use from different locations (Retroarch on a server with parsec to connect). I’m really looking forward to some 4 player GEX (also co-op, PD+, GE, F zero X etc etc...). I was trying to work out how to apply multiple mods or codes (specifically to GoldenEye: Dr No, constant alt crosshairs but in theory, others too), is there a way of searching through the mod file to work out where the location that needs changing is? I’m still far too amateurish at the Editor to do it myself but could probably change a cheat code if I could work out how to search within the mods. I tried with Renegade64 but couldn’t seem to do it with the mod itself. Anyone know how I should go about it? Thanks.

Gamma
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dark I don’t know the answer to your question.

Wreck I saw a speed run of Caverns today and had an idea for a new multi level. Why not make a level based on the spiral staircase section of the level? It would be good for sniping! You could add a room before and after it. Thanks for your hard work Wreck.

sumbodyshero
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MEGA MEGA THANKS to Wreck, Subdrag, dragonsbretheren, and all the other 4-star goldeneye modders out there for all of your hard work.

We don't deserve anything. We are not entitled to anything.

If they want to set up a patreon, I will gladly support. I think many would agree.

I hope ten years from now this forums is still going strong. Sorry that I've been MIA. My life just didn't allow enough time for GE modding. I did make and upload some action blocks, and made 4 levels but never uploaded. I will start contributing more as my career winds down in the near future. Fingers crossed!

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well schitt, it has been so long since anyone typed in here I thought I'd ask the usual obligatory "Has there been any new progress on GE:X?" since we're coming up on half a year of radio silence.

I've pretty much dropped out of the N64 community so I don't know if you have been working on other projects in this time or life stuff was in the way but despite all of this I still hope for the day that GE:X gets updated/finished so here I am asking.

One thing that fascinates me is the prospect of the community learning new things in the hacking scene so in all this time have new discoveries been found for Perfect Dark that can help improve GE:X and if so could you go into detail for each one?

Thanks Wreck, I hope this pandemic crap hasn't brought you down like it has for a lot of people including myself and that you're staying safe. Hope to hear some good news!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 57 of 64

Jump to: