ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Where is the Facility/Runway in relation to the Dam?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenix
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Where is the Facility/Runway in relation to the Dam? Reply with quote Back to top

I'm planning on making map for another game and thought it would be cool to recreate a Dam/Facility/Runway combo level. But I am scratching my head on where they should be placed in relation to each other...

Bond bungees down the dam to reach the Facility vent access point at the base. This would place the Facility close by at the very bottom of the dam. Additionally, you literally walk out of the Facility and onto the Runway, so those two are right next to each other - still at the base of the dam.

Yet I get the feeling that the game places the runway level (and by extension the facility) high in the mountains. And the film even more so!

I realize it can easily be chalked up to them being disconnected levels/sets from the game/movie. But if you had to position all three levels in the same space, where do you think they would be in relation to each other?

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great question!

I think your assessment is basically correct. The runway and facility connect directly to one another at the bottling room (and in fact, I have successfully directly connected the two in-game by importing the connecting rooms and making some scaling and bg modifications - they do connect nicely.

But where these stages fit in connection with the dam is a good question. I just took a closer look at the landing base at the bottom of the dam:

I admittedly had never, until now, looked closely at that particular spot. Question I have is, is that plate literally the opening to the facility vents? If it is, then it is a question of orientation of the facility. Only 2 options really - it is either out in the open at the bottom of the dam, OR, it is literally underground and below the large body of water that is on the other side of the dam.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To give you a better overhead visual, I've put together a rough layout of the Facility/Runway (probably not exactly to scale)

Now exactly where the dam fits into this is anybody's guess, but here is the overhead shot:

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always assumed it was the same valley, however as mentioned, the movie is more "open", therefor I would state that the runway was in an adjacent valley.

Of course, you cant really match any of it up to real life since the dam bond jumps off is in Switzerland (Contra/Verzasca Dam) but the story is set in Arkangel.
The facilility is a miniture model filmed on a scenic plate of somewhere in the Alps.
The runway is Leavesden Aero-drome, again, set to a photgraphic plate of the Alps

So, to put this into a physical state, I would have the dam where it is, with facility going under the mountian and runway being in a "hanging valley"

Given the map above I would have to extend the vents maybe to push the runway into the next valley.

Trev

fredspider
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Watching the movie I always thought the facility and runway were in the bottom of the Dam (since Bond jumps off to it). But it is also weird to think that there is a whole facility laboratory and airplane stuff in the bottom of a fully water-filled Dam.

When playing the game I assumed that Runway is at the end of the Dam! I mean, they are connected by that huge metal door next to the tank on Runway.

I know it sounds weird and make Bond's bungee jump completely non sense because he could have just jumped over the gate but, again, it was only my imagination.

Fenix
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For what it's worth fredspider, I used to think the exact same thing for the longest time. Despite the Dam not having the same metal doors you see in the Runway, I also used to think the archway was the same and connected.

Obviously it can't be, but yeah.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I beleve there to be a square-spiral tunnel with ramps going from the runway to the dam.

Trev

Ryani
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's a question I've often asked myself but never had an answer to. It's definitely not at the bottom of the Dam in the game. Maybe in the film it is, but in the game the mountainous area closes off any logical location for the runway itself. IT'S CONFUSING, LIKE AN EPISODE OF THE SIMPSONS WHERE THEIR TV ROOM IS SUDDENLY CONNECTED TO THEIR DINING ROOM INSTEAD OF THE LIVING ROOM.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think the reality is the movie setting makes no sens, so does the game that just try to do something out of the levels.

Maxout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When I write stories I leave breathing room. I want to leave the details to the readers and this is a classic case.

To answer the question it isn't impossible since moutains can be thousands of feet high. You could consider the airplane scene the last fall before sea level. Though anyone can google how tall those mountains really are.

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: