ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

MIDI Envelope Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I understand what you're saying. However, it does not matter what sound mode you choose if the instrument banks themselves have missing or the wrong data. They will sound off compared to the original no matter what sound mode you use.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here are some early results of what I am doing:
http://lspiroengine.com/Misc/GoldenEye%20007%20Title%20Temp.mp3

Notice anything special about this recording?

I got the files, pavarini, thank you.

I spoke with one of the musicians who worked on GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark and he said he is not aware of any changes to the formats related to samples.

I haven’t heard this “different sound” for myself so I reserve my comments. I will just keep an ear out for it when I get to Perfect Dark.
I still have a lot of work to do on remastering GoldenEye 007. The above file is close but not perfectly exact since I used a few placeholder settings here-and-there. Now that the whole sound bank is loaded onto my system, I will make 2 more passes over it first to perfectly adjust the settings that are currently placeholder and then to fix any pops created by faulty loops (none are present in this recording).

These 2 issues apply only to about 20% of the sounds. About 80% of the sound bank I created is 100% finished, so the above file is very close to done. I just wanted to give a little teaser.

L. Spiro

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder if these are the same sound samples that were put into GE-X.
Also this recording does sound different to the GE-X one.
I would be able to tell if this was a sample of Jungle or Control if the pops are there or not.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They aren’t. These samples are not public and I can’t release them, unfortunately.

L. Spiro

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can your samples be used to help correct the ones in GE-X? In case GE-X uses bad samples, faulty loops, etc.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They can be used as a reference point to “hear out” faulty sounds.
This is what I plan to do when I get to Perfect Dark since there are apparently bad sounds.

Loop points have to be readjusted for each different file, but the loop points I have can at least serve as a starting point.

Again, I can’t send any files to anyone, but I would certainly be willing to make adjustments if necessary and send them back.

L. Spiro

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay I see. Cool, sounds good to me.

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

pavarini wrote:
Thundera8589 wrote:
One thing I want to note is the sound. The music in the M16 headquarters has a loud buzzing noise to it. It's unbearably loud. Can there be anything done to fix it? Also some sounds seem to be missing from tracks that were in the original game. The sounds needs to really be looked into and fixed.

I investigated this and I come to the conclusion that Perfect Dark's engine interpolates samples differently. The loops and sound bank are matched perfectly, it's the different sound engines. Perfect Dark doesn't filter the samples the same way GoldenEye does so there is some aliasing on playback. Here is a comparison from an emulator GE GEX. You could put a high end rolloff on all the samples, but that wouldn't change the way PD interpolates individual samples.

TL;DR: It can't be fixed.

L. Spiro that's the issue GE-X currently faces with the samples. Listen to those two comparisons and you might probably know what the issue is. There is also that other sample that affects tracks Silo X, Cradle, Surface II, Surface II X, and Frigate X. I had posted youtube links in the GE-X 5e thread with the exact starting point where you can hear the differences in sound how loud and clear they are in GE and how not so loud and clear they are in GE-X.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I took a look and compared every sample and parameters in Goldeneye and GoldenEye X. There is only one discrepancy, which was known, in that instruments 02 and 33, were both raw data in Goldeneye but PD does not support that type, so it had to be reencoded as adpcm. I didn't check if those instruments are in your song, but the data is very close so I don't think it would be, plus there's nothing that can be done. I don't see any parameters or sound wav data, predictors, loop predictors etc off besides the change mentioned above. There's not much else to be done though, must be a difference in sound engines as l Spiro mentioned and nothing to be done about it.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thundera8589 wrote:
pavarini wrote:
Thundera8589 wrote:
One thing I want to note is the sound. The music in the M16 headquarters has a loud buzzing noise to it. It's unbearably loud. Can there be anything done to fix it? Also some sounds seem to be missing from tracks that were in the original game. The sounds needs to really be looked into and fixed.

I investigated this and I come to the conclusion that Perfect Dark's engine interpolates samples differently. The loops and sound bank are matched perfectly, it's the different sound engines. Perfect Dark doesn't filter the samples the same way GoldenEye does so there is some aliasing on playback. Here is a comparison from an emulator GE GEX. You could put a high end rolloff on all the samples, but that wouldn't change the way PD interpolates individual samples.

TL;DR: It can't be fixed.

L. Spiro that's the issue GE-X currently faces with the samples. Listen to those two comparisons and you might probably know what the issue is. There is also that other sample that affects tracks Silo X, Cradle, Surface II, Surface II X, and Frigate X. I had posted youtube links in the GE-X 5e thread with the exact starting point where you can hear the differences in sound how loud and clear they are in GE and how not so loud and clear they are in GE-X.

It sounds as though there is a faulty loop point on the bass (instrument 2).
It is an extremely short sample (literally just a single wave up and down) and it contains a kind of pop noise just outside of the correct loop range. If looped incorrectly (for example looping the entire file) it buzzes like that.

L. Spiro

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there anyway that can be looked into in GE-X and possibly fixed?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
L. Spiro wrote:
I got these values from GEEdit.
I notice that the ALEnvelope structure is missing decayTime.

Luckily I have those values, but it makes me consider that these are not the most up-to-date values you’ve released?

Also, do you have the instrument tables for Perfect Dark as well?

L. Spiro

I see decay time in the editor? Maybe you don't have the latest beta, though I don't remember changing much in a long time.

https://gyazo.com/add4931c57dac24e00539486f37e2a36

Where do I go in GEEdit3 to get these?

L. Spiro

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tools - Game Configuration

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey L. Spiro, I know this is going to sound crazy but now that I cranked up the volume to max on my pc I can hear popping noises in the GE recording that was linked before. I didn't really hear it before but I hear it now that I got my volume up to max. So if my theory is correct the popping noise you hear in the GE emulation game uses the same sample instruments that was used in GE-X. The converted bass instrument "02" into ADPCM file changed from a pop (RAW format) to a buzzing sound (ADPCM format) in the Perfect Dark sound engine. If you listen closely it sounds like the pops in the GE link and the buzzing sound in the GE-X link come about the same time the instrument sample loops in both games. If the popping noises heard in the GE RAW format sample can be fixed so that the popping noises are gone. Would that mean once the GE Raw format sound sample (now updated) getting converted to (ADPCM format) would get rid of the buzzing sounds then as well?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is one of the sounds SubDrag mentioned had to be converted.

Any time you convert a sound to any other format its loop points need to be adjusted.
The new wave form is almost guaranteed not to quite align at the loop points. It’s an even larger guarantee if the conversion involves compression.

There are 2 possible fixes:
#1: Adjust the loop points sample-by-sample until you get rid of the pop. If you have to guess-and-check, I would move the loop end back one sample, forward one sample, back 2 samples, etc.
#2: I can convert the original sample to ADPCM. It may or may not fix the pop, but the final sound would be more accurate. The sound that ended up inside of GoldenEye 007 is already heavily distorted.

It’s the same bass sound used in the link I posted above, if you want to compare how it sounded before being compressed into the game.

L. Spiro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: