ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

MIDI Envelope Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I imported the same sound just converted to adpcm. Unless I accidentally changed the loop, I'd think it should be identical since it's the same waveform minus some minor errors introduced from adpcm lossy encoding? Or you just mean because a little lossy may need slightly adjust loop spot.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The lossiness itself may cause a need to adjust the loop point (in fact it makes it very likely that adjustments must be made).

If I take a sample at 22,050 Hz and up-sample it to 44,100 Hz, all of the original samples are there (so not really even lossy) but also an additional interpolated sample. Even this is enough to cause a problem with the loops even though it’s all the original data plus 1 more well calculated sample for each.

The sample for instrument 02 is a very well behaved sample, so I feel confident you can remove that pop noise fairly easily.

L. Spiro

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's not up sampled, it's just encoded at 4:1 ratio. The waveform is pretty close just slightly lossy. If you are able to mess with that sample to fix it, go for it though.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I meant to use up-sampling as an example to indicate that any changes to the file will cause it to need to have its loop points adjusted.

GoldenEye X is GoldenEye 007 on the Perfect Dark engine? In ROM form?

I don’t have any tools that can save loop points and save as ADPCM.
If you can modify it, even if just by editing the raw data, I would just guess-and-check a few times; the loop point is probably only 1 or 2 samples off in either direction.

L. Spiro

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here I created a recording through the emulator audio plugin in .wav format for Cradle in both GoldenEye007 and GoldenEye X.
This is the other instrument sample that I was referring to a while back in the GE-X thread. I do not know what sample number this instrument is on so I need you to hopefully be able to identify what sample it is using. Now, if you listen closely to the Cradle track in both games there is a little difference in sound. Not sure if the quality of the sample needs to be higher. But if you listen right at the beginning 1 second in and then again at the 21 second mark in the GE version you hear a big "BANG" kind of sound. In GEX in the 1 second mark you hear it but not as loud or high quality as in the GE version. And then again in the 20 second mark you hear the big "BANG" sound sample but it's not so "in your face" as it is in the GE version of the track. This sample also affects other tracks as well like Silo X and Frigate X.

Make sure you up the volume on your pc to the max and listen closely to the comparisons. You can tell there's at least a little difference in sound quality for that particular sample.

Do you think perhaps the sample I am referring to needs to be readjusted or the sampling rate to be a bit higher?

P.S. I think this sample I speak of is in RAW data. So I think you should be able to fix it up and save as is.

Edit: Here are the links to the Silo X comparisons created the same way the cradle tracks were. GE GEX
I believe this is the same exact sample used in Cradle. It has that same type of big "BANG" type of sound. You can hear it at the 1 second mark in the GE version and then it repeats again in the 22 second mark. Sorry about the disruptive explosions. There is no other way to get this track to play in the original game lol. In the GEX version you can hear the sample begin at the 1 second mark as well and then it repeats again at the 22 second mark but you don't hear that big "BANG" sound like it's "in your face" loud.

I decided to upload the Silo X track as I feel you can tell the differences in sound quality of the samples on this track more clearly.

P.P.S. The sample I speak of in Cradle and Silo X can also be heard in the Goldeneye title music link you gave L. Spiro. The sample comes in the 36, 38, 40, 42, 45, 47 second marks.

Edit 2: Matter of fact here is the Goldeneye X version of the GE main title music. It's the same length 1:46 as the one you posted before L. Spiro. Now compare the differences in the samples from yours and GEX.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here are the two waveforms.

https://gyazo.com/46a00f6dfd3d44d2ff16044c50b060f1

Probably why Rare did it raw in GoldenEye, but they removed that code in PD.

I guess someone with a trained ear (not me) could try and fix the looping, or adjust the waveform to somehow make it better (not me).

One other bad thing, is it seems that the original sample was an odd number of bytes, so adpcm added some at end...

I generated better versions of adpcm, someone can try the two sets in sound 02/33 and see if it sounds better, with import raw/predictors/loop predictors for sets 3 and 4.

http://goldeneyevault.com/priv/Sound02HigherQualityLevels.zip

https://gyazo.com/f7f1511bb41fadf37534ddeb122da898

Part of the problem may be that at the end the adpcm had to have more samples. Maybe a musician can make this better.

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag a couple of questions. Are the PD instrument samples all ADPCM or just some of them are? Are there differences between the sound quality level settings between GE and PD's samples? or are do both games share the same quality level sound sampling rate?

Can these new higher setting Raw files be opened with Audacity? If so, what settings what I have to change in order to hear the instrument?

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Bad Quality Instrument Sample Reply with quote Back to top

I think this instrument is different from the last one I mentioned. This one is heard in Surface II. It has a sound where it sounds like there are "singing giants" in the background as a chorus. This instrument like the last one doesn't sound as loud or as high quality as the original version. Here are the comparison links GE GEX
In GE, the sample comes in at 25 second mark then again at 29 seconds. In GEX, the sample comes in at the 25 second mark and then again at 29 seconds just like in GE. However, there are differences in sound quality where the GE sample sounds louder and clearer than the GEX sample. L. Spiro there is no way your samples can be created in Raw format and used to replace the existing ones in GEX? Who knows what other instruments in GEX are off due to the GE samples inside the game being heavily distorted as you mentioned.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD and GE are entirely adpcm except for goldeneye sounds 02 and 33 which are raw uncompressed sound. PD does not support raw sound... In fact Goldeneye is the only game in the entire N64 library I can find that uses raw.

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag can you generate higher quality level sound for the two instrument samples I mentioned above?

Just those two.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes I did in this post, you can try it:

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?p=65508#65508

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have the necessary tools for them. The only thing I have is Audacity.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You use the editor and import the raw sound, predictors, and loop predictors under Tools->Game Configuration, Sound Tab, for sounds 02 and 33.

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright I added the PD rom to the quick rom. Went to sound tab, choose Instrument Bank 0002. Imported the raw sound, loop predictors, and predictors. Now how do I hear the sound?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Write your ROM after that. You also probably want to do sound 33, they are the same raw sound in GE. There are two versions I provided, one was adpcm level 3, the other level 4 (best).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: