ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

MIDI Envelope Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you can notice a problem with it, fix up 33, but it’s an extremely well behaved sample with the loop point inside a low-volume valley between huge peeks.
Pops are unlikely. It’s one of the easiest samples to loop without artifacts.

If you are curious how to hear it in the game to see if you can notice any pops, it is the buzz/synth sound you hear in Bunker I from the very start of the song. I don’t think it is used anywhere else in the game.

http://lspiroengine.com/Misc/GoldenEye%20007%20Bunker%20I.wav

On the other hand, if it’s easy to reconvert it etc., go for it.

L. Spiro

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thundera8589 wrote:
SubDrag, I don't recall if I asked you but can the higher quality sound levels you posted be used for the other instruments as well? Will those levels affect the sound quality of the other instruments too or are the only for instruments 02 and 33 specifically?

They were the only RAW format files, the rest were imported without any conversion so they are the same. The loops are fine, I went and moved them and I can say they are accurate to the original sample (A B). I even went and phased them and they are pretty much the same. There is not much you can improve upon as the sample is in a format which PD doesn't support (or any other N64 title). If anything the biggest difference you're hearing is the way PD handles audio.

Now back on topic...

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry we are kind of hijacking your thread, L. Spiro, but it is going toward a good cause, and stays within the MIDI topic.

I imported the "level 4" sound, predictors and loop predictors. At first I could not tell a difference. Then I decided to try wearing my headphones. So here is what I found weird. The normal GE-X tracks may have a little buzz to them, but with the new files imported, it was actually more of a crackle. Worse than before, from my testing. Both the elevator songs and Citadel are very obvious. Now I am more confused than before. Confused

I just tried the level 3, and it seems better. I don't hear any crackle, and not much buzz. Is this the one you guys tried and felt was an improvement?

The Experience of Love (MI6) is less buzzy, but it has something else going on that almost seems more noticeable and annoying...

I don't know anything about MIDI, but could certain affects that are being applied possibly be handled in Perfect Dark in a different way? Doing something to the samples?

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag, I don't know how you inserted these instruments to the mod. If you left them at the same sound quality level settings they were in GE or not. What I ask is there are two instruments #40 and #59. They are in correspondent to the tracks I mentioned previously in other posts. Thanks to L. Spiro I now know their instrument numbers. So what I wanted to ask is if it's possible if you can try and maybe try and increase their sampling rate to see if the sound quality will be much accurate to how they sounded like in GE. I already posted comparison samples of the tracks those two instruments are used in. These are the only two other instruments that I notice REALLY need to be enhanced in terms of their sound quality.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I looked at both instruments you listed and they match 1:1 with GE samples. The data and loop positions are the same. Resampling and increasing their sampling rate would introduce other issues. Thundera8589 if you want to continue this discussion please create a new thread thanks.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What I did, was take PD's instrument bank, and overwrite all the instruments with the GE versions (from 0-0x4D or whatever it was), using the raw data (in a tool, not manually). Then I manually replaced 0x2 and 0x33 using adpcm. So every instrument but 0x2 and 0x33 are 100% identical, there was no conversion, no change, etc. ADPCM data is 100% identical. The midis are also pure binary imports, no change at all. If they don't sound the same, it's just something between the engines (other than 0x2 and 0x33).

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh okay gotcha. Did instruments 02 and 33 get fixed up? I seem to remember SubDrag fixing them up last time.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Does the tool (GEEdit 3) have a way to export MIDI samples from games?
Or where can I get a Perfect Dark MIDI sample set?

L. Spiro

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MIDIs and instrument tables can be found under GEEdit3\Resources\Midi\

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can't remember if I exported those before or after I supported internal loops. You may want to re-export all the midis one by one in Perfect Dark mode, under Tools->Game Configuration, under I think Model tab.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I meant, how do I export the samples?

L. Spiro

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I found it. I’m afraid to touch buttons and ruin my ROM, but it is the “Save Sound” button on the Sounds tab I wanted.

More releases:
http://lspiroengine.com/Misc/GoldenEye%20007%20Archives.wav
http://lspiroengine.com/Misc/GoldenEye%20007%20Bunker%20I.wav
http://lspiroengine.com/Misc/GoldenEye%20007%20Dam.wav
http://lspiroengine.com/Misc/GoldenEye%20007%20Egyptian.wav
http://lspiroengine.com/Misc/GoldenEye%20007%20Facility.wav
http://lspiroengine.com/Misc/GoldenEye%20007%20Silo.wav
http://lspiroengine.com/Misc/GoldenEye%20007%20Surface%20II.wav

L. Spiro

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Last question SubDrag. Are the PD Instrument samples in a higher quality than the GE ones in terms of sampling rate, bitrate, kbps, etc?

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nevermind.

Would love to hear more GE music releases from L. Spiro though! Very Happy

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Been looking at instrument 02's wave and not only is the loop point in GE slightly mis-aligned, the sound is flawed in the first wave (sound is made of 2 waves, 1 lower frequency than the other).

I have tested a fix and while I still maintain that ingame the music is fine to me, I think I heard the "riple" in the sound, my test got rid of this ripple by only using the good second wave.

Edit the istrument to use
LoopStart: 000000E0
LoopEnd : 0000014F

I had originally thought the keybase would need to be reduced to compensate, however it sounds fine in-game.

Trev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: