ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Help with GoldenEye custom levels please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBL187
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Help with GoldenEye custom levels please? Reply with quote Back to top

Certain GoldenEye custom levels crash when I select the difficulty. I have patched them correctly and I usually use 1964 with Jabo's Direct 1.6.1 video plugin. The ones that don't crash work fine.

One thing I have noticed is that it's often ones that do not change the original name of the original mission slot the custom level is using.

For example, Darkness uses Archives which is still called Archives when I run the Darkness.z64 patch, and it crashes when I select any difficulty, sometimes with the menu music still playing, whereas Cliff Base, which overtakes Caverns, is called Cliff Base when I run the Cliff Base.z64 patch, and it works perfectly fine with no lag even.

I've tried patching them as a .rom file, but still the same.

The ones which crash on me so far are:

(2007)
Darkness
Free For All
Hide and Seek
Janus Nuclear Facility
Meeting Room
Path Land
Streets Negotiations

(2009)
Chinese Frigate
Dam Overture

Does anyone know what I can do to make them work? I have tried redownloading and patching them again, as .z64 AND as .rom. I always patch each GoldenEye custom level or mod to the GoldenEye (U) (i).z64 rom I downloaded from Archive.org, as advised to in tutorial vids showing how to patch and play GoldenEye custom levels and mods that are on YouTube.

PS, after seeing videos for Free For All, Hide and Seek, Janus Nuclear Facility, and Path Land, I am not bothered about them particular levels. I do want to play Meeting Room, Streets Negotiations, Chinese Frigate and Dam Overture though.

Please, someone help!

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have you tried a different dump?

PBL187
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

CrashOveride wrote:
Have you tried a different dump?

How do you mean? I'm not the most up on the more advanced workings of roms and emulators, I don't know anything about the dumps. How would I try a different one?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The name and / or level select photos will only be changed if the original level author edited them. In many cases, especially older releases, the names remained the same, and photos untouched.

Are the patches for those missions all in IPS form? That can cause problems, if the ROM isn't arranged correctly. Some need the ROM to be byteswapped. The Editor does have an option for that under Tools, I think. The Xdelta patches should be alright, but IPS can give more trouble.

PBL187
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
The name and / or level select photos will only be changed if the original level author edited them. In many cases, especially older releases, the names remained the same, and photos untouched.

Are the patches for those missions all in IPS form? That can cause problems, if the ROM isn't arranged correctly. Some need the ROM to be byteswapped. The Editor does have an option for that under Tools, I think. The Xdelta patches should be alright, but IPS can give more trouble.

Thank you I will try that. I'm sure there will be videos on how to do that on YT Smile

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Dump" as in ROM dump, as in a different ROM.

PBL187
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:

I'm such a n00b!!! Byteflip the GoldenEye.z64 rom, not the patched custom level!!!!! Anyway, it seems to have worked, at last. I guess this topic can be locked now, another n00b saved! Thanks so much bud Smile

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No worries - these are out of the box things that even I still screw up! Also: Enjoy Dam Overture, that was my childhood dream that I managed to make there.

Funny story: The boat replaces the tank...which is really whack in streets Wink

HackBond

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can't remember what I did for these levels, it's almost been a decade and I definitely do not have the source files anymore.
For reference, I was 13 when I made Chinese Frigate. I'm 22 now.

Tempted to give it a DL and see what I was like back then

PBL187
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spyster wrote:
I can't remember what I did for these levels, it's almost been a decade and I definitely do not have the source files anymore.

Tempted to give it a DL and see what I was like back then

It's good, a bit short, but good, not too hard lol

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spyster wrote:

lmao

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PBL187 wrote:
I'm such a n00b!!! Byteflip the GoldenEye.z64 rom, not the patched custom level!!!!! Anyway, it seems to have worked, at last. I guess this topic can be locked now, another n00b saved! Thanks so much bud Smile

Glad it worked out for you. Hope you enjoy the missions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: