ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Please help - what N64 games have version differences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Please help - what N64 games have version differences Reply with quote Back to top

In a thread on another forum (http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6179.msg48068), I'm trying to list all of the N64 games where one version is noticeably better than another, such as:

- The NTSC version of Mario Kart 64 is faster than the PAL port,

- The NTSC version of Space Station Silicon Valley crashes if an expansion pak is present, wheres the PAL version works fine

- Version 1.0 of the PAL version of WWF: No Mercy has a bug whereby it can lose the save-games, but v1.1 doesn't have this bug,

and so on. If you can think of any N64 games where it's better to play one version than another (whether it's variation by region, or game revision, or whatever) then please post here or in that thread, as it would be great to build up a list of of which games have superior versions, for both present and future N64 gamers to consult.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Console game patch notes are hardly existent ..

I'd love to know what Star Fox 64 v1.1 did .. what RE2 v1.1 did ..

Turok 1 had two revisions even Turok 2 has v1.1 ER SO I READ .. though no sign of that rom

Space Station NTSC crashes with the RAM xpack ? Whoa ? Have not experienced that .. how do I do that =}

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is a very interesting topic.
I tried to do something similar but adding emulators, plugins, cheats and hacks to the mix. But really, choosing the right rom and using improvement hacks and cheats and not try anything crazy is the best way (widescreen hacks have a lot of issues). Of course, emulation is far from perfect and playing in the original hardware will work 100% of the time.

99% of the times I prefer the NTSC rom just because of the higher framerate. You can argue that PAL version usually runs at a higher resolution to compensate, but that's not true in lots of cases. I can get used to the slightly smaller resolution, but I notice the framerate a lot. It also helps with input lag and reaction times.
Even if the PAL version was translated into Spanish (which didn't happen until late. We even got Ocarina of Time untranslated!) I don't mind playing in English.

Contributing to the topic. One interesting game is ISS 2000, especially for Spanish users. You have Spanish comentators (I don't know if text too, maybe some of it is translated) in the NTSC US version, but not in PAL (there's English, German, French and I think Italian). But the PAL version has an extra game mode that lets you create a player from scratch, train him and improve his abilities in a RPG Japanese conversation novel kind of thing. It's very addicting. Luckily you get a password with your player's data and I think you can transfer it to the NTSC game.
The Japanese version also had this career mode, but if was in a different fashion and I don't understand the language, lol.
I tried to port the Spanish dialogs to the PAL game but the files don't match.

So maybe there are more games like ISS 2000 where additional content was added to the PAL version.

Some other games that I think have a best version and why:

Blast Corps - NTSC U -> I think this is one of the few if not the only one Rare game that wasn't optimized for PAL. I recall black borders and I think gamespeed wasn't adjusted.

Conker's Bad Fur Day - NTSC U -> Probably PAL is same with lower framerate and higher resolution.

Diddy Kong Racing - NTSC U v1.0 -> Higher framerate. I don't know if resolution was fixed but beeing a Rare game it probably was. I'm not sure about gamespeed but I think NTSC and PAL run equal (this could be checked with the Time Trial times).
V 1.1 had some small graphic changes for the worst.

F-Zero X - NTSC U -> I think PAL runs at higher resolution than NTSC and aspect ratio is corrected, but gamespeed is slower. And missing the 60 fps would be a crime.

GoldenEye 007 - NTSC U -> I prefer it because of the higher framerate even if it has black bars. PAL version runs at a higher resolution (no black bars with corrected aspect ratio) and has the same gamespeed, so some people may like it more. PAL version also added/fixed some intro cameras. A patch for those changes in the NTSC version would be nive. Also, in my Spanish translation I changed the helicopter textures to match the one in the film, so that's another improvement. Razz
Zoinkity's 'Never Say Never Again' actually is a superior verison. Sadly it's unfinished.
But hopefully GoldenEye X will be the ultimate GoldenEye experience!

Jet Force Gemini - NTSC U -> Better framerate than PAL. I think everything else is same (no black borders and correct aspect ratio and gamespeed).
I've read that in the Japanese version certain cutscenes can now be skipped in the Japanese version, such as the cutscenes for when the characters' ship descends on a planet. That would be nice to have too in the West versions.

Mario Golf - I prefer PAL because of the metric system XD. Putting is hard for me; I can't think in feet!
Japanese version also uses the metric system but lacks Metal Mario. Although it seems there's a special cartridge that has it. I haven't looked for it and I don't know if it's findable.
I need another patch to have my ideal copy, hehe.

Mario Kart 64 - NTSC U with Zoinkity's patch recovering the original banner textures and cheats for fixed gamespeed and music in multiplayer. There's even a real anamorphic 16:9 cheat.
http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?p=64356#64356

Mario Party 3 - NTSC U -> Probably PAL is same with lower framerate and higher resolution.

Mario Tennis - NTSC U -> Probably PAL is same with lower framerate and higher resolution.

Pilotwings 64 - NTSC U -> Lower framerate in PAL and I'm not sure if gamespeed was corrected (probably not). Also bigger black borders and probably aspect ratio wasn't corrected.

Perfect Dark - NTSC U v1.1 with the improved audio patch from pavarini.
We need to create a compilation patch with the improved audio and more multiplayer stages (like the Solo missions from the 00Dark patch and the GE levels from GE X). That would be amazing!

Sin and Punishment - NTSC J (obviously) with Zoinkity's translation patch.
Actually I prefer the Spanish translation patch because is my native language and having dubbed dialogs isn't very usual on N64 games. They did a superb job.

Star Fox 64 - NTSC U v1.1 -> Higher framerate and gamespeed than PAL. Not sure about black borders and resolution. BUT the PAL version lets you choose between English voices and Lylat voices (they sound similar to the SNES ones and they are hilarious, hehe).
I wonder if there's a patch to add them to the NTSC rom or a way to make the PAL version run as the NTSC...

Star Wars Episode I RACER - NTSC U -> Probably PAL is same with lower framerate and higher resolution.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron - NTSC U -> Probably PAL is same with lower framerate and higher resolution.

Super Mario 64 - NTSC U -> Black borders are bigger in PAL version, aspect ratio wasn't corrected (image is squeezed), framerate is lower and game-speed wasn't fixed (it takes longer to get to places).
The Japanese Shindou Edition is actually the best version since it has all of that plus Rumble Pack support. But it's in Japanese and no one has been able to translate it.

Super Smash BROS - NTSC U -> Probably PAL is same with lower framerate and higher resolution.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - There are some patches out there that improve the game, but there are so many of them that I haven't tried them and there's probably not a best one for everyone.
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5161.0
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5281.0

The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask - Same as with Ocarina. There are some patches over there that improve the game but I haven't tried them.
I discovered a few years ago that even if the PAL game runs at a higher resolution than NTSC, gamespeed wasn't fixed. It was a big letdonw for one of the late N64 games.

Wave Race 64 - NTSC J Shindou Edition -> Lower framerate in PAL and I'm not sure if gamespeed was corrected. Also bigger black borders and probably aspect ratio wasn't corrected.
The Japanese versions have Fanta advertisement which I fin more atractive than N64 logos in banners and also features Rumble Pack support and ghosts in Time Trial.
They remixed Sunny Beach and Southern Island tracks (I prefer the original ones, meh) and it has Japanese text and female voice, so a patch replacing those would be fantastic!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q-AI-p_ASU

I have checked some of the differences in this website. It's very useful:
https://tcrf.net/Category:Nintendo_64_games

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:

Space Station NTSC crashes with the RAM xpack ? Whoa ? Have not experienced that .. how do I do that =}

Do you have the NTSC version of the game working on a NTSC N64 with an expansion pak?

I've heard that the bug was fixed in later NTSC batches of the game, but I've not found a v1.1. of the NTSC rom.

Sogun, that list is very comprehensive. I'll look through it tomorrow when I have more time, and post in the thread on the Everdrive 64 forum.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TCRF probably has a lot of what you're looking for.

PD US had a 1.1

https://tcrf.net/Perfect_Dark/Version_Differences#Revision_Differences

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You'll see a number of games from the same development period (PD among them) with v1.1s due to a bug in the SDK's save support.
There was an earlier, somewhat similar situation with controller pak support, but can't remember exactly which batch that was.

Here's a list of titles that have alternate versions, so you don't have to track them all down:
  • NAGJ1 AEROGAUGE AeroGauge (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NAYE1 AIDYN_CHRONICLES Aidyn Chronicles - The First Mage (USA) (Rev A)
  • NBCE1 Blast Corps Blast Corps (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NBIE1 blitz2k NFL Blitz 2000 (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NBKE1 Banjo-Kazooie Banjo-Kazooie (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NCTE1 Chameleon Twist Chameleon Twist (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NCUE1 Cruis'n USA Cruis'n USA (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NCUE2 Cruis'n USA Cruis'n USA (USA) (Rev B).n64
  • ND3E1 CASTLEVANIA Castlevania (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • ND3E2 CASTLEVANIA Castlevania (USA) (Rev B).n64
  • NDME1 Doom64 Doom 64 (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NDYE1 Diddy Kong Racing Diddy Kong Racing (USA) (En,Fr) (Rev A).n64
  • NDYP1 Diddy Kong Racing Diddy Kong Racing (Europe) (En,Fr,De) (Rev A).n64
  • NFXE1 STARFOX64 Star Fox 64 (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NGSJ1 G1STABLE Jikkyou G1 Stable (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NJ5J1 PAWAFURU PUROYAKYU5 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 5 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NJ5J2 PAWAFURU PUROYAKYU5 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 5 (Japan) (Rev B).n64
  • NK4J1 Kirby64 Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NK4J2 Kirby64 Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Japan) (Rev B).n64
  • NK4J3 Kirby64 Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Japan) (Rev C).n64
  • NKIE1 KILLER INSTINCT GOLD Killer Instinct Gold (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NKIE2 Killer Instinct Gold Killer Instinct Gold (USA) (Rev B).n64
  • NKMJ1 KIWAME 64 Pro Mahjong Kiwame 64 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NKTJ1 MARIOKART64 Mario Kart 64 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NKTP1 MARIOKART64 Mario Kart 64 (Europe) (Rev A).n64
  • NMFJ1 MarioGolf64 Mario Golf 64 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NMKE1 MortalKombatTrilogy Mortal Kombat Trilogy (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NMKE2 MortalKombatTrilogy Mortal Kombat Trilogy (USA) (Rev B).n64
  • NMXE1 EXCITEBIKE64 Excitebike 64 (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NOBE1 OgreBattle64 Ogre Battle 64 - Person of Lordly Caliber (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NOBJ1 OgreBattle64 Ogre Battle 64 - Person of Lordly Caliber (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NP4J1 PAWAFURU PUROYAKYU4 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 4 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NP6J1 PAWAFURU PUROYAKYU6 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 6 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NP6J2 PAWAFURU PUROYAKYU6 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 6 (Japan) (Rev B).n64
  • NPAJ1 PAWAPURO 2000 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2000 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NPDE1 Perfect Dark Perfect Dark (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NPEJ1 PAWAPURO 2001B Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Basic Ban 2001 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NPOE1 POKEMON STADIUM Pokemon Stadium (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NPOE2 POKEMON STADIUM Pokemon Stadium (USA) (Rev B).n64
  • NPOP1 POKEMON STADIUM Pokemon Stadium (Europe) (Rev A).n64
  • NPSJ1 PERFECT STRIKER2 Jikkyou J.League 1999 - Perfect Striker 2 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NREE1 Resident Evil II Resident Evil 2 (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NRSE1 rogue squadron Star Wars - Rogue Squadron (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NRSP1 rogue squadron Star Wars - Rogue Squadron (Europe) (En,Fr,De) (Rev A).n64
  • NRWE1 Turok: Rage Wars Turok - Rage Wars (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NSFE1 S.F. RUSH San Francisco Rush - Extreme Racing (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NSJJ1 TACTICS SOCCER J.League Tactics Soccer (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NSWE1 Shadow of the Empire Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NSYE1 SCOOBY-DOO Scooby-Doo! - Classic Creep Capers (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NT2E1 Turok 2: Seeds of Ev Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NTFE1 TONY HAWK PRO SKATER Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NTHD1 Toy Story 2 Toy Story 2 - Captain Buzz Lightyear auf Rettungsmission! (Germany) (Rev A).n64
  • NTME1 MISCHIEF MAKERS Mischief Makers (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NTTE1 Tonic Trouble Tonic Trouble (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NTUD1 TUROK_DINOSAUR_HUNTE Turok - Dinosaur Hunter (Germany) (Rev A).n64
  • NTUD2 TUROK_DINOSAUR_HUNTE Turok - Dinosaur Hunter (Germany) (Rev B).n64
  • NTUE1 TUROK_DINOSAUR_HUNTE Turok - Dinosaur Hunter (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NTUE2 TUROK_DINOSAUR_HUNTE Turok - Dinosaur Hunter (USA) (Rev B).n64
  • NTUP1 TUROK_DINOSAUR_HUNTE Turok - Dinosaur Hunter (Europe) (Rev A).n64
  • NTUP2 TUROK_DINOSAUR_HUNTE Turok - Dinosaur Hunter (Europe) (Rev B).n64
  • NUTJ1 ヌシヅリ64 Nushi Zuri 64 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NW4E1 WWF No Mercy WWF No Mercy (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NW4P1 WWF No Mercy WWF No Mercy (Europe) (Rev A).n64
  • NWDJ1 WIN BACK WinBack (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NWGE1 W.G. 3DHOCKEY Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NWLE1 Waialae Country Club Waialae Country Club - True Golf Classics (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NWLP1 Waialae Country Club Waialae Country Club - True Golf Classics (Europe) (Rev A).n64
  • NWNE1 WCWvs.NWO:World Tour WCW vs. nWo - World Tour (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NWRE1 WAVE RACE 64 Wave Race 64 (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • NWRJ1 WAVE RACE 64 Wave Race 64 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NWRJ2 WAVE RACE 64 Wave Race 64 (Japan) (Rev B) (Shindou Edition).n64
  • NWSJ1 J.WORLD CUP 98 Jikkyou World Soccer - World Cup France '98 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NWSJ2 J.WORLD CUP 98 Jikkyou World Soccer - World Cup France '98 (Japan) (Rev B).n64
  • NYWJ1 ボクジョウモノガタリ2 Bokujou Monogatari 2 (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NYWJ2 ボクジョウモノガタリ2 Bokujou Monogatari 2 (Japan) (Rev B).n64
  • CZLE1 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA) (Rev A).n64
  • CZLE2 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA) (Rev B).n64
  • NZLE15 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (USA) (Debug Edition).n64
  • CZLJ1 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Zelda no Densetsu - Toki no Ocarina (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • CZLJ2 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Zelda no Densetsu - Toki no Ocarina (Japan) (Rev B).n64
  • NZLP1 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (Europe) (En,Fr,De) (Rev A).n64
  • NZSJ1 THE MASK OF MUJURA Zelda no Densetsu - Mujura no Kamen (Japan) (Rev A).n64
  • NZSP1 ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es) (Beta).n64
  • NZSP1 ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es) (Rev A).n64

Chameleon Twist is an odd one. The script in 1.0 uses cases, but 1.1 is all-caps. There's also more typos in 1.1 for some reason.
Ogre Battle 64--or at least the USA one--had a save glitch that could be triggered (and exploited) by arranging your army in particular ways. They fixed that, and a couple Japanese-speaking towns, in the second release.
Among the bugs closed off in Pokemon Stadium (USA) was a glitch that would permanently remove any PP Up you may have used if it ever wrote back your save file.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: