ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Grenade Launcher Reload: Your Thoughts...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How should the Grenade Launcher reload?
One grenade round at a time
76%
 76%  [ 16 ]
All six rounds at once
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Grenade Launcher Reload: Your Thoughts... Reply with quote Back to top

We're interested to know what you, the players, are thinking about the Grenade Launcher reload. There are various options, but part of that decision comes down to how many grenade rounds are inserted into the weapon.

One at a time would be similar to the Shotgun. You'd load a grenade round into the spinning cylinder, spin it, and repeat. This process would stop when either the player presses the fire button, or when the weapon is fully loaded. It might look cool this way, but could possibly become frustrating (similar to the shotguns). However, since it is so destructive, that might add some balance.

Loading in all six rounds at one time, similar to the magnum. You'd dump out all the remaining grenades and/or casings, then use a speed loader to insert all six together. It's a much quicker process, and gets you back to action sooner.

I've made a poll to see which approach feels more appropriate. However, it would still be nice to hear your thoughts more in depth. So please feel free to post with ideas.

Graslu
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think all six will always be better than going one by one, it helps to keep the fast pace feel of the matches.

As you said the shotguns in PD were always annoying because of how long they took to reload, at least personally, I always avoided using it because of their slowness.

If it's of any help, in GE:S what we did to balance the Grenade Launcher was add a delay between the shots so you pull the trigger, the drum cycles and then shoots. The reload was also slowed down compared to other guns so it stays out of screen for a little longer, but since there are animations there it'd depend on how fast the speed loader is used I suppose.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Graslu00
Discord: https://discord.gg/tksttVC

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with graslu. Not only that but when you take into consideration the GL reload without animation reloads all 6 rounds at once so it gives the incentive that it should reload all six at once and not one by one. One by one would be too much of a pain I feel and would ruin the fun the GL once had. I think making the reload animation similar to the Cougar Magnum in terms of time would be more better suited for it. Not something that is going to take forever to reload one grenade round at a time.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm I think that One grenade round at a time would be a good balance to a such OP weapon.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I really hate how fast it is in Goldeneye, it has to be slower.
It looks better and it is better for balance one round at a time.

Really appreciate you consider asking us.

Fenix
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The quick loader for the magnum made sense to me since they were small bullets. But thinking about something similar for large grenade rounds felt unrealistic to me, and off putting. But then I did a quick google search and found that they do in fact exist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uvn3EDFN-8

Still, if it were a matter of personal preference, I would cast my vote for loading one grenade at a time. I think it looks a lot cooler and balances its power via the reload time in a believable way.

But I acknowledge it'll be a pain to implement.

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Better reload one to one, COOL!

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Guys don't forget that Wreck was lucky enough to slow down the reload process for simulants that were using the shotgun. I don't think he would get any luck this time with the Grenade Launcher.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The reload for Simulants is just a timer. You can stretch it out to a certain length. Pretty much as long as it took to completely reload your Shotgun in PD, which had 9 shells instead of GE's 5. The time between shots was harder to deal with. I was fortunate enough to get the standard Shotgun to more closely match up between shots (since humans use the pumping animation), but the Magnum and Grenade Launcher are still troublesome.

Personally, I am leaning toward single round reloads, but it has to be done right. If it's too long, it will be frustrating and annoying. The GL is really the most destructive weapon in GE, having six rounds. You need to insert a new rocket between each RL use, and I don't think there have been any complaints. It's a way to strike balance between power and speed.

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like this style weapon reload

Fillerthefreak wrote:
I actually do agree it's pretty generic, but there was some very generic animations in PD, too. Such as the Sniper Rifle. I mostly want to emulate the rough feeling of older 3D model animations. PD may of had it a bit less rough than some games, but it can still look pretty awkward-looking.

Anyways, added GE:X player arms (from the character I always use the most, the male Aztec Moonraker. Had to make the hands a single texture due to issues with Blender causing model seams when models have multiple textures on a single-rigged model). I tried my best to position the model in the same way as the original N64 game.

Also, never said this, but I actually did rig and model up the second arm position, despite the act that even if you tried to use something like the single-standing aiming feature. It would be hard, if not, impossible to see the other hand.

I also actually animated the other hand, the player released their trigger finger off holding the weapon. Dunno why I did so, but attention to detail matters.

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

ctrl_room57
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

all six at once FTW

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I voted 1 at a time because it looks and feels better. Might not be good for bombarding someone, but then it adds balance to other weapons.

At the end of the day it comes down again to GE = no reloads, PD/GEx = reloads.

RE Quickloader - Ahh, that's how it works, however look at the date, 2013, not pre-1995

Trev

Fenix
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it was among the first results from a lazy search. Very Happy

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot I did that animation awhile back, became stuck and didn't deal with it later on. I still think one at a time would be better.

I actually have a bunch of different animations for other weapons I made too (such a the Phantom), but I later on just edited them to work on the GE:Source models, instead.

EDIT: Off-topic, but I found that you upwrap on the stairs when you climb up them in Control. Not with the money bounty like SM64, sadly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: