ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Why am I the only one who can't add decent number of texture
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Why am I the only one who can't add decent number of texture Reply with quote Back to top

So, it's definitive. I cannot add as much textures on a PD rom as the other.
Whatever I do, it stop working after 0DE8 or 0DE7.
I did erase beta and unused data on the rom, but still, whatever type of texture I try to add, the rom got corrupt after that point. This happen for the third time, everytime with totally new set of textures.
Is there hope somewhere, because it's just ruining my health (for real sadly) to try to create content for this game.
I'm very sad, I spend so much time learning N64 and PD engine, but giving up is the best way now, unless some genius can help me with it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately I can't offer any help or advice, as I have never attempted to add new images to the end of a Perfect Dark ROM. I've always replaced things, but I can see where that can become a problem, especially if you have a large number of textures to add and don't want to affect anything else in the game. Hopefully SubDrag or Sogun can be of assistance here.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did had some private message with Sogun already , and it works for him Sad

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had an idea. Could Sogun use the "Export All Images" option on his ROM, and you could import it into yours? That way, you can replace his extended list with your new images. You think that might work?

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure since I would be limited to the same type of texture I think. But don't know. It's worth trying.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You should be able to replace any texture type with a different one, I believe. If you just right-click on the image and choose the type from the list. The important thing is to extend your image list, then you can begin sticking your own custom textures in over the newly added ones. You can also "Export Raw Image" of your images and import them as raw over other ones. Worth a try.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In pd you don't want to add textures, only replace. It's only ge that really supports it.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@Wreck Well that's a solution I have to try. I was very very exhausted yesterday after spending the whole day on it.
I did try again today with different type of texture, even 1x1, just for a try and I can't go further than 0DE7 whatever I try Sad
I hope this will work.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
In pd you don't want to add textures, only replace. It's only ge that really supports it.

Is there really any hope that someday it will be possible ? Because, honestly, Goldeneye is so inferior to PD I don't want to play it anymore, and once GE:X will be complete, I bet no one here would play it again.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I bet many people will still keep going back to GoldenEye, even once GE-X is close to completed. It's the original, and has a lot to offer. Some of the details that could be considered inferior (guards not seeing over railings / gaps, no reload animations, not being able to drop off of edges, etc) can bee seen as interesting quirks or a difference in gameplay mechanics. They'll certainly be unique enough from each other to make both relevant. I never went into GoldenEye X with the idea of making it a replacement of sorts, but an alternate choice. Mainly to try and put my favourite game back on the same playing field as Perfect Dark, which quite a few gamers still find superior (for many of the same reasons why GE-X is enjoyed).

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I had an idea. Could Sogun use the "Export All Images" option on his ROM, and you could import it into yours? That way, you can replace his extended list with your new images. You think that might work?

How this is supposed to work? I did 'Export all Images' on my rom with lots of textures and a +3MB PDAllImages.bin file was created.
Then I opened an original PD rom and did 'Import all Images'. Nothing seemed to happen.
I tried again Deleting Debug and J text first, but nothing seemed to change.

@AL64inthedark
I've sent you a PM with my patch. I hope it works for you and you can just replace my textures by yours.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm. Maybe the full image set only works within the original amount of textures. I think I used it once before, but as I have never tried extending the list, am not sure how that would work out. I still find it bizarre that Sogun could add so many, when SubDrag himself has said you shouldn't really be able to, at least not like with GE.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I remember I did try that function too but didn't understood how it work.
Thanks Sogun, I'll try tomorrow and see if I can progress with it.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The PD issue was always compression. Adding the images to the end of ROM made randomly one of the files too big depending on the offset the images ended at. I think the ROM corrupts from that point on.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I still randomly run into compression issues when importing files into GE-X. I haven't had it happen in a while (knock on wood...), but when it does, I try to replace unused files with small ones. It must just land on an address that causes the file to compress too large. Hasn't been a problem lately, but it is certainly annoying when it does. Thankfully it has yet to halt progress.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: