ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

How to import Endorphin animations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: How to import Endorphin animations Reply with quote Back to top

This tutorial will help you create custom death animations for GE. This same process can be used to import motion capture provided you convert it to GE's rig.

You will need the following tools...

Before we start we should install the required files for the editor. It is recommended that you run these as an Administrator or writing privilege will be limited.
1) Download and install the editor.
2) Run the BetaGrabberTool.exe file located within the editor directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\GEEdit3\) and download the latest version.
3) Download obj2an8 and extract objtoan8.zip\bin\(x86 or x64)\ObjToAn8.exe. Copy ObjToAn8.exe to the editor directory. It is important that you select the correct bit version that matches your operating system.
4) Download the FBX SDK and install. Open the folder C:\Program Files\Autodesk\FBX\FBX SDK\2014.1\lib\vs2008\(x86 or x64)\ and copy libfbxsdk.dll to the editor directory. It is important that you select the correct bit version that matches your operating system.
5) Download FFMPEG (32-bit Static build) and copy ffmpeg-win32-static\bin\ffmpeg.exe to the editor directory. You will need 7-zip to open the FFMPEG archive.
6) Run the editor and open the Tools>Preferences window. Set the location for ObjToAn8.exe (which should be C:\Program Files (x86)\GEEdit3\ObjToAn8.exe) and click OK.

Once you have the above tools we will get started with creating a simple animation. For this tutorial I will assume you have moderate knowledge of Endorphin and XSI. If you get stuck in Endorphin I suggest following the tutorials that come with the software (located in help). To start you will need the Endorphin to GE kit: click here to download
    GoldenEye.nmc - GE Character with accurate proportions for Endorphin
    GoldenEye Scene Sample.ens - Simple death animation sample for Endorphin
    GoldenEye Scene.ens - Default scene with character in default pose
    Default Pose.nma - Endorphin Pose file that is set to the default stance for GE
    GE_Guard.fbx - Guard model with optional AK47
    T-Pose.fbx - T-Pose file used to match the GE rig constraints
    Endorphin to GE.vbs - Script used to tie GE rig to Endorphin rig

1) Endorphin will need a custom character for GE with the same proportions. Inside the zip file you will find a custom character file. Place them inside \endorphin 2.5.2\Resources\Characters\Custom\
2) Open the 'GoldenEye Scene.ens' file using File>Open Scene. This is setup to create export ready animations with the correct ground height, frame rate and character ready to go. There is also 'GoldenEye Scene Sample.ens' which contains a simple death animation that you can improve upon. If endorphin crashes at this step, try reopening the scene (it should work after a few times).
3) Create your animation. When you are done select the GoldenEye character in the timeline and export to FBX 6.0. Set scale to 10 (it should look like this).

We are now done with Endorphin. From here on we will be converting the FBX file to a GE rig. You can use MotionBuilder if you prefer, but for this tutorial we will be using XSI.

4) Create a new scene and import the following files: GE_Guard.fbx, T-Pose.fbx and your Endorphin animation fbx file.
5) !!Important!! You must rename your endorphin animation file to 'Animation' within XSI or else the script will not work correctly, this is how the endorphin rig should look in the schematic view.
6) Open the script editor and click File>Open and select Endorphin to GE.vbs. Hit the run button inside the script editor window. This will set the starting frame to 0 and tie the GE rig to the Endorphin rig. If worked successfully the GE rig should be matching the endorphin animation, scrub through the animation to see if it is working.
7) Once you are satisfied open the schematic view and select the entire GE_Guard rig. Go to Animation>Plot>Constrained Transforms and enter in the end frame number. Press OK.
8) Once the joints have been baked it will ask to remove the constraints, press Yes.
9) Scrub through the timeline to preview the animation. You shouldn't have to adjust the animation as it should be a 1:1 match with the endorphin model. If you need to make any changes it is best done in Endorphin or you can manually fix the keys within XSI if you prefer.
10) When you're ready to export go to File>Export>Export the scene as an FBX file
11) Open the Editor's Animation window. Import the FBX file you created in XSI. If everything went well the end result should look like this.

Notes) If you want to test in-game I suggest using animation 0x21 as it is a common death animation. Importing over the first animation (Walking) will not work correctly (Y axis is clamped at 500 units for some unknown reason).

If anyone has questions feel free to post here

Graslu
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Working great, thanks for these tutorials! Here's a quick test I made.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Graslu00
Discord: https://discord.gg/tksttVC

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great news, the latest beta editor allows for new animations to be added to the game, instead of replacing unused animations.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

pavarini wrote:
Great news, the latest beta editor allows for new animations to be added to the game, instead of replacing unused animations.

That's awesome!!
How many new animations can be added? It's the same for all the games supported by the Editor (DKR, JFG, MS) or just GE and PD?

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WOW that great jump the one of his animation Graslu, that jump reminds me to the enemies that die with explosives in Turok Dinosaur Hunter where the enemies when dying cross a great distance and leave behind him a trickle of blood hehe. maybe PD is the most appropriate game to imitate this type of death since there is blood and some objects like knives and arrows can be embedded inside the enemy bodies. I hope someone makes a patch for GE or PD with their own animations.

I agree with Sogun. it's great to be able to add new animations without having to replace existing animations. that is something that I think is very good for GE-X, because on the one hand I think that it must have all the GE damage and death animations, and if on the other hand, the PD damage and death animations can be preserved without replacing nothing would be great.

I'm glad for Sogun to think about the other games (DKR, JFG, MS). since the "More Gaming Fun" threads were created, only a few patches were removed for DKR almost all together and then there was almost no more activity with these games.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

pavarini wrote:

Great indeed ! Very glad to hear that, because it's a pain to go through all of them, check how many frames they are each etc...

But how it that handled the same for GE and PD ? Well, same questions already asked by Sogun Smile

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sogun: It requires moving the animation RAM location in 21990 to a new location, then you can add as many as will fit. I don't know how to do this yet so SubDrag will have to explain how this works.

AL64 & SATURN_81: This feature has not been implemented for PD yet.

Edit: As of now the feature has had a set back. You can't add more animation as you are still limited by the allocation limit. Until that has been increased the feature is kind of useless.

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, I am getting this error when exporting an animation from XSI.

I've followed all the steps so idk what's wrong.
This is the result in geedit

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

XSI constraints are not supported in FBX, hence why it needs to be baked to keyframes before exporting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: