ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

How does the GESE handle the rooms of a .obj file?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: How does the GESE handle the rooms of a .obj file? Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everybody I have a little problem.

It´s about a new level I and Connery as Bond are working for.

There is a problem with the clipping as some of you know already, so I´ve started to split the level into rooms (on my 3D programm) instead of loading the whole one into the Editor.

Here is a overview of my 3d Editor :

So I export them and reimport them from the .obj and it was a single .obj file, for sure.

I´m wondering how the editor does know what parts of the obj file a split.

On TimEh´s Video Tuorial Part3 he´s doing it quiote easily, so he just export it. (About 0:12)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDV9n605Xh4
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You need to open the editor in visual window, open an uncompressed file set, the save as Project and re export rooms etc. Then open and import your model into it as a room. You ll need to create portals and clipping for each room. I'd suggest importing a ge level that matches the layout of your existing one. You can also convert your tris to clipping and save. You'll have to adjust them so the player can walk on them. I'd suggest using perfect dark instead to write your level into. It's clipping system is much easier and you can get away with clipping things much easier. No adjustments needed. Just make sure your model seams are tight so the generic clipping you generate won't have holes the player can fall through, etc.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mhmh well this map has to be in GoldenEye, so it will be little bit more difficult.
Maybe it will be in Perferct Dark, but I would not like this idea. Have to talk to Connery as Bond.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do you also know how many rooms I have to create or in how many parts do I have to split my custom Level?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's by group name.

Room01, Room02, ...etc (in hexadecimal)

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah but I think I´m decribe it wrong.

Should I split the Level in 5, 10 or 20 rooms or more, or what is it depending?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's a trade-off on geometry loaded versus splitting too much and adding too many triangles and more complexity.

I prefer to split into a "checkerboard" shape, so it is so much easier to portal.

I use a guide of no more than 500 triangles-ish a room.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah ok that sounds good. So a room should not contain more than 500 polygons.

Cool thanks

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say that also depends on what is in the room. It could feature something more complex, such as machinery. So there are bound to be exceptions. You can make some parts into their own room, and use special visibility commands to show them where necessary, like the tanks and other processing equipment in Facility, on each side of the grey hallway. That can be tricky, and add extra work for you, but can also be useful in various situations.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I never understood special visibility, neither see them in the container room in facility.
So, how do you see that, and use it on your own levels ? May be good to know them now since I'm doing a level at the moment and it could be useful.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can you explain those special visibility commands ? What does it do and where do I set this off/on or how does it works=?

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So I'm not the only one. I believe there's no tutorial about them yet.
Would be good to have one Smile

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It seems so Very Happy

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, that's because they can be quite tricky. Most of the time, we'd just steal something made by Rare in one of their backgrounds. It's usually along the lines of "while in this, or these rooms, allow players to see that room" or "while looking through this portal, allow players to see that room". However, there are more complicated uses, such as in Dam. I'm not sure we ever really fully documented all types, and Perfect Dark changed things and included more types. Might be something in Zoinkity's notes, but don't expect to find much of anything related to PD. He never got into that one too deeply.

The ceiling in the area of Archives with all the pillars and the execution posts (across from the mission start) is one room, while the rest of it is split into multiple. The special visibility forces it to show while in those rooms, and through the entrance portals. This drastically cut down on the number of polygons it would have taken to draw the ceiling for each room individually. However, PD has a weird issue where these forced to show rooms play no hit impact sounds. It's only noticeable when you shoot at them, but once you realize, it's very evident.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: