ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Error reading .bmp files while loading map into editor.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Error reading .bmp files while loading map into editor. Reply with quote Back to top

Hello.

I wrote some days ago about my problem here:

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7073&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

So I tried to looking for a solution and searched here on the forums via the searching tool.

So I know now that some guys had the same problem and there were two main issues:

1: .bmp is not 8 bit so Editor can´t read it.
2: textures.txt contains wrong info / preset number.

So i only had to fix the first problem using paint.net to safe them as a 8-bit .bmp . There is still this problem, so now I really don´t know what to do now. Could there be any other reasons for it?

I´m using original textures for it.
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I tried it several times with different 3d Programms and textures etc. I can´t get forward. I would really appreciate any help !!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Upload a small test obj/mtl and bmp if you can.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Best thing I've found, thanks to Sogun, is to add the textures to the rom first.
Then Name them by ID.bmp. Avoid any issue related to textures when importing a new map.

Just choose "...+ already added textures" when importing your map.

Quote:
You encouter an issue I already had and thanks to Shogun I managed to find a way to make it work. It's boring to do but it works. With this method, no such thing as "xxx texture not find".

First thing to do is to add all textures to the rom. Get the ID of each texture.
Every texture used on your 3D modelling software has to be named with the right ID.
Textures used on your map (even in 3D modeller) will have to be named 0CD1.bmp 0DD3.bmp etc... no such thing as "name_that_I_want.bmp", only ID names.

So, make a copy of every texture used, and rename them with "correctID.bmp". There should be an option in your 3D modeller to change every texture at the same time, with the new named textures.

The .txt file asked for textures, when importing map should look like this
0CD1 0CD1.bmp
0DD3 0DD3.bmp

and so on...

If done well, you won't have a "xxxxx texture is missing" when importing your .obj and they will be displayed fine.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So I did what you tell to do. It really worked, there are no importing problems anymore.

I think it´s because you really can´t name a .bmp like you want.
It has to be names like its preset from the Image Tools.

Unfortanaly I got the next problem: My Level is not visible.

Here are the test .obj files I´m woking with:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1T8A8KQdPX5ajEzNDg1VFljdjA

I have also a short video how I did it on youtube:

Maybe it´s because of the roompositions.txt or because of the scale of 1? The testcube.obj is quite big so it should appears in the editor
https://youtu.be/O0qMUTAv_oQ

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are your rooms named correctly? That usually happens when no rooms are imported. Room XX if you are doing one room only, use convert room instead of convert level, so it doesn't look for Room XX pattern of object names.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I also tried that and it´s the same problem: Nothing is here. (Or I just to it really wrong. I can´t remember that this was that diffiuclt when working on Antenna Cradle Source)

I also notices a new error when I try to "convert obj.......and add textures"

It says : Error converting bitmap C:/<PATH>

I thought it´s because a 24 bit.bmp( it´s this bmp when I export it from the image tools), so I tried to convert to 8 bit, but same error.

Maybe it´sbecause of its name and/or its because this texture already exists ( this does not matter to me at first, I just noticed that)

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You are missing like I said, in obj
g Room01

Add after mtllib ./test.mtl

It's not grouped into rooms. So group in modeler or manually add for now. You have to tell it what geometry goes into what room, that's what missing, so it can't find any geometry for any rooms.

So it groups geometry to Room 1.
Then Convert Model File to Level and export (if already added textures)
pick
textures.txt
test.obj

Then it shows

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ha now I got it Very Happy - Just as you said: I had to make groups in my modeler software and them export objects as groups.

I have to test it for some more rooms, but for the while, this is looking good Very Happy

Thank you everyone ! And special thanks to you SubDrag !

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes everything works fine !

Now level up and learning how to do portals and clipping Smile

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glad it worked. Can't wait to see more people creating custom maps. Never give up. Just make pauses if it drives you mad. Well, that's what I try to do haha.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

#I´m highly motivated and if everything goes well , there should be a great level out in some weeks Very Happy

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: new error Reply with quote Back to top

I have a new error here when importing clipping.obj :

What is the reason for that and how to solve that problem?

The translation of triangles is little bit strange, well it´s the same name, but I can quess what the editor does mean:

There are no triangulates there in the 3dprogramm , but the setup editor only can handle clipping with triangles, so I have to change all squares to triangles to get it work.

I thinks its because of that.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, editor only supports triangles for clipping import. Triangulate in your modeling program (but ensure you still follow the clipping rules).

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Solved it Very Happy

Just did it fast. Works very good in my 3D programm. I just had to press Alt+X Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: