ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Race Game in Combat Simulator of PD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Race Game in Combat Simulator of PD? Reply with quote Back to top

This thread I do to know the opinion of if someone has ever thought of using PD as a racing game ?. In the game for the moment I do not know any way to count the laps (unless someone discovers some form of approach with the "Action Blocks") and also on how to do referee to count the laps. You can incorporate several Hovermoto in some level of some game of races, for example Wario Stadium or Yoshi's Valley and in these levels what if you can is to play a kind of Battle similar to the one of mario kart 64. the persecutions armed by all A level of careers must be a spectacular spectacle.

On the other hand, levels like Wario Stadium may seem at first a fairly linear level for Combat Simulator if we follow the route of this level, but if you look at this level you have enough mountains and hills to hide behind them, and maybe you can do That we can climb and walk through them. At this level you can also remodel the stands and walk them, something similar to the multiplayer level of the Duke Nukem64 rugby field.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've thought to do a pursuit at the end of one of my level, where you have to chase a car or another moto and replace the hoverbike by a racing moto.

But at the moment, it couldn't go further than inside my head, since I have lots of other things to do.

For those lookings for laps, yes maybe do something simple, like they did for the racing part of Blast Corps. If I remember well, there are 4 invisible checkpoints inside each maps, and you have to trigger them all and then it count as laps+1. Quite simple mechanic.
Look for Blast Corps AGDQ on youtube, it was done this years and commented by one of the developers. It is very interesting.

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I imagine that you are thinking of a map in Solo Missions mode so you comment Al64inthedark, which would be great if someone made a good level with some chase on the bike (I think of the model ported to GE's GEX) or The HoverBike.

I was thinking about the Combat Simulator Mode where human players each take a HoverBike and start a race track chase, and I say a race circuit because no level in GE, PD or GEX is prepared to run with a vehicle without Stop (an exception may be the Streets level), I mean that the levels of these games do not have enough space to maneuver a vehicle at high speed.

Yesterday I was watching a part of the video, but I need to pay more attention because of my low level of English. If you can send me the minute or the part of the video where he speaks essentially of what you want to tell me.Thank you.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes I was talking about a solo mission for my plan.

I'm sorry but I couldn't tell which part it was, I'm not even sure where it was, but I'm 80% sure it was at about 70% of the video, quite near the end. And they talked about that during one of those race.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You'd probably need a series of pads representing checkpoints, and many action blocks to keep checking your location. To prevent the completion of a lap by going in reverse, checks to see if you have crossed through the wrong pad, and setting objective bits to maintain the proper order. Testing which room you are inside is an alternative method. It would require quite the setup to pull it off, but seems very possible. Cooperative mode may be trickier, but so long as it tests the correct player ID each time, might be just fine. Heck, even counter-op, but I don't recall if they can actually use a hoverbike. Since they are unable to pickup weapons or shields, the bike could be off limits, too.

I'm thinking more of Perfect Dark than GoldenEye for this.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Non-lapping, long linear courses would make the most sense. Really feels like anything else requires new code.

This idea has come up a few times in the past (like racing through the city outside the tower), but pretty sure nobody has sat down and tried to do it.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Be patient I'll try Wink
It's way too early to ask, but I wonder for a very long time, how hard it is too generate some basic traffic. Like cars going from point A to B then disappear. Then they reappear at point A and go to B again.

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In what I thought at first was at the simplest, ie a racing circuit inside the Combat Simulator, initially without referee or some way to count the laps. It would only be a circuit with several hoverbikes available so that human players can be chased to death by level.

Wreck in the Counter-Operative Mode the HoverMoto itself can be used by the player who manages the enemies.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A completely linear course wouldn't be as much fun, and offer less chance for whichever player falls behind to catch back up. Navigating the turns is where somebody is more likely to crash into an object or wall, giving their opponent an opportunity to surpass them.

I do think it is totally possible to rig up through action blocks, but it won't be easy, especially with all the checks to make sure you aren't just going in reverse. You could place bumper objects behind the player once they reach a checkpoint (and remove later), but that's no good for P2 should they be too far behind, as they'd get trapped behind it.

I do think a race track in Carrington Institute was a wasted opportunity. You could practice with weapons, gadgets and fighting, but the hoverbike was rather limited. A bigger track-like area in the basement, or exterior, to learn how to control the bike, would have been great.

Since this is more about Perfect Dark, let's move this thread into a more appropriate forum.

Last edited by Wreck on Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've also had this thought before like Wreck, but I never actually tried to do it. I think some semblance of this is possible though.

Something along the lines of constantly checking within units of a lot of pads spaced throughout course, in order, and incrementing the "course position" byte action block variable until you go all the way around.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
Non-lapping, long linear courses would make the most sense. Really feels like anything else requires new code.

This idea has come up a few times in the past (like racing through the city outside the tower), but pretty sure nobody has sat down and tried to do it.

I have wondered in the past if at the end of mission 1.3 of PD, you were originally supposed to escape the dataDyne tower and evade capture by piloting a flying craft yourself. This would explain why the city is defined so well (the city's buildings exist to a much larger extent than the small section you see from the cut-scenes and from the dataDyne tower), as otherwise why would Rare have taken the trouble to define such large sections of the city if they didn't intend to make use of them.

I mean, the final cutscene of mission 1.3 doesn't seem right, as Joanna is only a few feet from the female guards, then she leaps into the jump ship and then instead of sheltering in the jump ship she stays exposed as she shoots the guards. This is despite the fact that she's outnumbered by the guards who are practically at point blank range and are shooting at her with shotguns.

To me, the cutscene seems forced and unconvincing, and I suspect that the cutscene was created late in the game's development, possibly when Rare released that they wouldn't have time to get the flying craft chase/fight sequence part of the level working, probably because the game was already overdue for release. The only playable vehicle in the game, the hoverbike, doesn't seem to have much point, other than a couple of "Well, we have the hoverbike made and working, so we might as well put it in this level" instances. So perhaps the end of level 1.3 involved you escaping from the dataDyne tower using a hoverbike (which in this case hovered hundreds of feet in the air, like the flying car), with you being chased and attacked by enemies on their own hoverbikes.

I'm probably wrong, of course, but it's fun to speculate.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

While it is possible they planned that early, and dreamed to do that, I think the modelisation of the city is more a case of doing the most out of it, so it easier for the person doing the cinematic to create a decent scene from that.

But yeah, it's more than possible that someone wanted such a playable scene to be there. Could be amazing and run at a good framerate (there's a joke hidden somewhere, can you find it ?) ^^

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I picture it just like regular interior buildings. Think of just how many areas in Archives there are that play zero part in the objectives. You can completely ignore these places entirely. The attic only comes into play should Natalya become startled and run off up there. The designers created the locations, and the setup creators utilized it. So the exterior city is probably the same concept. They had fun building the city surroundings, and left it up to whoever planned out the cinematics to use the spots they felt would make for the best scenes. After all, this was the very first thing you see in the game. I'm sure they wanted to leave an impression of what's to come.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: