ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

The Great GoldenEye Level Elimination Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Frigate +1 : The graphics are insane for a N64. I really feels like I'm assaulting a real ship and the objective about saving hostage is great even if once you know where they are, it's too easy. Maybe adding them placed randomly would have made the level more interesting, there's no real complain to have about this level. It's one of those levels who made the N64 great and way above what other consoles could bring to players.

Cavern -2 : While I don't hate the level, it's decent, the fact that guards can't shoot and see over rails totally ruins most of the level. I can't wait to play it on GE:X to see how it is improved by better guards behavior.

Dam - 16
Facility - 17
Runway - 13
Surface i - 15
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 16
Frigate - 17 (+1)
Surface ii - 15
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 11
Archives - 16
Streets - 11
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 15
Control - 15
Caverns - 11 (-2)
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 15
Egyptian - 13

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Another go at this, I suppose...

Giving a +1 to Dam. For how little they had to go on from the film, Rare did a great job expanding the location and creating some decent objectives. It's the only mission that ended up using a vehicle on path, which worked very nicely as both cover from attack, and a guide through the first few areas. It's also one of only two levels that offered a Sniper Rifle, giving you an added sense of stealth. For the introductory mission, it did not disappoint.

The unfortunate soul to receive a -2 today, will be Surface ii. Since it is the exact same background as the first Surface, but with a darker sky, it feels very similar to it. However, I prefer the objectives of the first. Feels like there was more to do on your original visit to Severnaya. Needing to go back to the same room in the satellite dish tower to destroy radios didn't help. They could have put those someplace else, such as a cabin. The cabins themselves were pretty much barren, as well. The best thing might be the ending cinema, which is easily one of the coolest.

Dam - 17 (+1)
Facility - 17
Runway - 13
Surface i - 15
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 16
Frigate - 17
Surface ii - 13 (-2)
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 11
Archives - 16
Streets - 11
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 15
Control - 15
Caverns - 11
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 15
Egyptian - 13

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, this game could definitely take a while before one level ends up losing all of its points, but it still is a fun idea, so I guess I’ll participate! *Ahem*

For me, it’s almost obligatory to give +1 to Facility. This level can be tackled in so many different ways, both stealthy and aggressive playing styles seem to work perfectly fine. Another important thing is its emotional relevance on the story. You get to meet Ouromov for the first time, and he is established as a seemingly important villain when he “kills” your buddy, 006. Gameplay-wise, it’s also one of those levels where you have tons of opportunities to fool around and fail some objectives on purpose (killing scientists in the most absurd ways, for instance, or starting a duel with good ‘ol Trevelyan). Even if you wish to complete all of the objectives, the level still throws some memorable silly moments at you, such as the guy you can kill while he’s on the toilet, or the guard with the keycard that seems to be placed perfectly for silly kills, the flasks on top of the vent, or the fact that you can get rid of Doak after he gives you the necessary item. Finally, the level provides some options for exploration (the first time I played, at least, I remember I was really checking every room to find those gas tanks) and it has a few memorable spaces that look really different from the rest of the level, such as the room with blue bricks and glass flasks, or the room with smaller gas tanks (4 of them stacked together in one object I think). That room alone was so interesting to me when I first saw it, partly because of the anticipation that was built up before it. You had to pass through two doors that seemed to be sealing off some secret, and then, you suddenly entered this large room, a dead end, seemingly, with those white gas tanks, objects that you hadn’t seen before. Yeah, I definitely made the mistake of installing my remote mines onto those when I first played, but the fact that the level started to be filled up with gas afterwards really made the experience all the more memorable, Bond wasn’t just exiting the level because he made a mistake and had to restart, instead, you could hear him coughing to dead, which was unique to facility as well.

So yeah, in short, Facility wins my vote for most memorable moments and great amount of variety.

Unfortunately, I have a few levels I don’t always like to revisit, definitely including Depot and Silo, but I guess Frigate really sticks out among those. Yeah, sure, the level is unique in that it is modelled after a boat and that it is surrounded by water, which makes for an interesting graphical look on the outside, but that was the only memorable thing to me, to be honest. The inside of the boat was always just confusing and its appearance and colours all blended together for me. Besides, aside from guards and hostages, the level always felt surprisingly empty to me. I know there are bombs to defuse and such, but the whole level didn’t feel like an actual boat, but more like an oversized engine room. No sleeping cabins or private quarters, no kitchen, whatever. In comparison, Train, which is somewhat boring to me because it is so linear, fixes that boringness by adding some much needed variety in the design. Train also has a very important, story-relevant aspect at its ending, and again, this is something Frigate lacks. Now if only Xenia had actually been on board, right? A scene where she kills the captain of the boat could’ve been used to establish her as a villain, which would be really useful, in her case. She could’ve made a typical remark of the bombs going off soon, which could be hinted at again during the end of the train level. Anyway, another big problem with Frigate for me, both gameplay-wise and story-wise is that I don’t care about the hostages – they’re not story relevant, unlike Natalya, and they don’t really interact with Bond, unlike the Scientists. They’re annoying to rescue as well and can take a while to fully ‘escape’, which makes the level drag on sometimes. Heck, even the ending feels inconsequential, Bond gets back on his smaller boat and leaves – there’s nothing that connects it directly with other missions, and there’s no feeling that what Bond just achieved in said mission had direct consequences to the story as a whole.

Briefly put, Frigate gets a -2 because, in my opinion, it lacks variety in its sometimes confusing interior level design, and doesn’t really have any memorable moments as far as gameplay and story are concerned. The exterior looks cool, but almost none of the action takes place there and there are few things to interact with, except for the helicopter, which makes the level a bland experience for me.

Dam - 17
Facility - 18 (+1)
Runway - 13
Surface i - 15
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 16
Frigate - 15 (-2)
Surface ii - 13
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 11
Archives - 16
Streets - 11
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 15
Control - 15
Caverns - 11
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 15
Egyptian - 13

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tuesday

I'm gonna give my plus one to Surface i today. The atmosphere, music, and objectives make this one the better of the two Surface levels. I like how you can activate the alarm or bunker door and can be ambushed by the commandos. The grenade launcher is a nice addition, too.

Statue is probably my least favorite of the levels. Streets at least has the novelty of driving the tank around.

Dam - 17
Facility - 18
Runway - 13
Surface i - 16 (+1)
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 16
Frigate - 15
Surface ii - 13
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 9 (-2)
Archives - 16
Streets - 11
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 15
Control - 15
Caverns - 11
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 15
Egyptian - 13
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

K1lo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to throw my vote to Archives today, largely as this was one of the handful of levels that really felt 'alive' and organic. Multiple paths, hidden passages and a really cool environment to skulk around in. Shame Ourmov wasn't one of the interrogators, but starting in a locked room felt really fun.

My downvotes go to Control today - whilst I liked the level it felt like a bit of a chore to play.

Dam - 17
Facility - 18
Runway - 13
Surface i - 16
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 16
Frigate - 15
Surface ii - 13
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 9
Archives - 17 (+1)
Streets - 11
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 15
Control - 13 (-2)
Caverns - 11
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 15
Egyptian - 13

UPDATE: Thanks Wreck Rolling Eyes

Last edited by K1lo on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^^K1lo, did you forget to update the levels you added / subtracted from? I see the brackets next to the levels, but the total was unchanged.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My plus one goes to Aztec. This is a great looking map, which features the iconic Jaws as a fearsome enemy. The difficulty is high, but once you figure out some good tactics, it becomes a nice challenge to keep coming back to (and upping stats on 007 mode). Certainly the better of the two bonus missions.

My minus two goes to Jungle. Not that I really dislike this one, but when I think about it, Jungle is a mission I don't find myself replaying very often. It can be difficult on harder settings, and making sure Natalya stays alive can prove frustrating (though she usually is in any mission she's a part of). Xenia was a decent boss, with an interesting weapon combination. It simply doesn't seem all that appealing, however.

Dam - 17
Facility - 18
Runway - 13
Surface i - 16
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 16
Frigate - 15
Surface ii - 13
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 9
Archives - 17
Streets - 11
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 13 (-2)
Control - 13
Caverns - 11
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 16 (+1)
Egyptian - 13

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My plus goes to Facility. It has great flow, is compatible with stealth and action play styles, and is fun with MP. It also has a great set piece with the ending gas tanks, which is very memorable.

I strongly dislike caverns, I think it's a boring map with little flow, and the radio objective is frustratingly unfair as the AR33 can shoot through guards and hit the explosive barrels.

Dam - 17
Facility - 19 (+1)
Runway - 13
Surface i - 16
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 16
Frigate - 15
Surface ii - 13
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 9
Archives - 17
Streets - 11
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 13
Control - 13
Caverns - 9 (-2)
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 16
Egyptian - 13

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

+1 Caverns: Ok, admittedly I'm only picking this one to counter the downvotes it has gotten, because the design of its background has always been a personal favorite. But I do really enjoy this mission! The natural rock formations, the massive carved out spiral, the walkways over the water, the hanging laterns, the unique iris/eyelid doors, the way Trevelyan closes the doors as he runs through the level. There's a lot of "3D" moments here when you can see/shoot guards on the opposite level without them seeing/reacting to you--an example of how the line of sight limitations for guards actually created fun/interesting gameplay opportunities in GoldenEye and made you feel sneakier than you realistically were. It's also a pretty fun concept, a natural cavern under the Control Center that the water in the dish is pumped from/into. That design of the room with the radio is just evil, too. And this mission has one of the most bizarre secrets in the game, with dual AR33s embedded in monitors of all things, embedded in crates...

Anyone else think the scientists feel out of place here? I mean, someone needs to man the pump controls, but scientists? It feels like they were used only because they didn't want to make a dedicated civilian worker for this mission, and that non-military characters are only being used to make the pump destruction objectives slightly tougher. Also, sometimes those line of sight limitations just lead to comically bad situations where a railing prevents a guard standing right in front of you from seeing you...a few dedicated action blocks for key locations could've solved this.

-2 Surface ii: Revisiting Severnaya makes sense from a story perspective, but unlike the Bunker where the background has been changed up significantly to make it feel less like a rehash, Surface ii is almost the exact same thing again, with minor changes to the objective locations. And it's just not as interesting to look at as the first time you go to Severnaya. It's dark and difficult to see (but the background shading hasn't been changed, so Bond seems to emanate a holy glow around him...), the unnecessary huts don't have neat unused props to gawk at, and the disable security objective feels a bit tedious in the darkness, even if it does have you go to a few locations that were pointless in Surface i. It has all the flaws of Surface i's freeform design with none of the charm, basically.

I do give the designer props for changing up how the objective inside the dish tower works, that was just mean, but only punishing to players who don't read the briefings. And how Bond gets captured walking in the front door since he can't use the ventilation tower this time... The way they gave a Remote Mine without a Detonator so it could be used as a longer duration Timed Mine was neat...even if the A+B detonation button combo still works on it.

Dam - 17
Facility - 19
Runway - 13
Surface i - 16
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 16
Frigate - 15
Surface ii - 11 (-2)
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 9
Archives - 17
Streets - 11
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 13
Control - 13
Caverns - 10 (+1}
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 16
Egyptian - 13

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thursday

+1
My +1 is going towards Silo. Despite not having anything to do with the movie, it's probably one of my favorite levels in the game. The run and gun action on 00 agent is intense - especially with the time limit.

My -2 is going to Jungle. Wreck made a pretty good point in his post - it's one of my lesser played levels.

Dam - 17
Facility - 19
Runway - 13
Surface i - 16
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 17 (+1)
Frigate - 15
Surface ii - 11
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 9
Archives - 17
Streets - 11
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 11 (-2)
Control - 13
Caverns - 10
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 16
Egyptian - 13
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Garabuyo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dam - 17
Facility - 19
Runway - 13
Surface i - 16
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 17
Frigate - 15
Surface ii - 9 (-2)
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 9
Archives - 17
Streets - 11
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 11
Control - 13
Caverns - 10
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 17 (+1)
Egyptian - 13

The Aztec level was one of the amazing levels of the game because You need fight with hard enemies, use a lot of gadgets and you can meet with "historical" characters. Another thing that I impressed is the final of the level with a incredible take off of the shuttle with a nice ending (ending secuence) music from a platform.

I don´t like the surface II because It´s almost the same level that the first. It´s my opnion.

http://bf4stats.com:8601/ps4/Garabuyo

K1lo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Caverns is a really good level and I feel it deserved more love, so it gets my +1 today. I love the feeling, the creativity of the setting, the pace and overall feel of the level - it's also huge.. is it the largest overall GE level?

Can I downvote the same map multiple times? If so, my -2 goes to Streets again. I really dislike the map as there is no explanation of how Natalia went from escaping with Bond from Archives to being captured. The tank is fun, but the level is rushed, bland and just does nothing for me.

Dam - 17
Facility - 19
Runway - 13
Surface i - 16
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 17
Frigate - 15
Surface ii - 9
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 9
Archives - 17
Streets - 9 (-2)
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 11
Control - 13
Caverns - 11 (+1)
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 17
Egyptian - 13

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kilo, feel free to down vote the same one repeatedly - the only real rule is that you can only vote one time a day.

Sunday

Archives is an excellent example of how GoldenEye's frantic run and gun action is taken straight from the scenes of the movie. Its cheat time is a challenge but a fun one.

Dam - 17
Facility - 19
Runway - 13
Surface i - 16
Bunker i - 16
Silo - 17
Frigate - 15
Surface ii - 9
Bunker ii - 16
Statue - 7 (-2)
Archives - 18 (+1)
Streets - 9
Depot - 13
Train - 15
Jungle - 11
Control - 13
Caverns - 11
Cradle - 15
Aztec - 17
Egyptian - 13
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: