ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

What do you use to play custom ROMS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K1lo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: What do you use to play custom ROMS? Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

So obviously the answer to the question is either emulators or a flash cartridge - but it's that first part I want to talk about. After a long investigation on this thread I found modifying the CRC in the header was the solution to the issues I was having developing my custom Randomiser tool.

However, this has now caused no end of problems within Project 64. The version I'm using is the latest (2.3.2.202) and the issues stem from the fact PJ64 applies custom emulation options to each ROM based on a it's own ROM database (the rdb file).

I can solve these issues for each individual ROM by copying the standard Goldeneye entry, adding a new one to the RDB and changing the CRC values, however since the tool I'm working on will generate a completely different ROM (and thus CRC) every time, this is hardly ideal.

So - my question, what do you fine people use to emulate Goldeneye? How do you get around these issues with custom ROMs?

Graslu
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I use Carnivorous' 1964 Bundle for GE and PD, and Project64 1.6.1 for the rest. Never had issues with 1964 except with Perfect Dark Plus but a simple notepad edit fixed it.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Graslu00
Discord: https://discord.gg/tksttVC

K1lo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah cool, thanks I'll check that bundle out. I tried Project 64 1.6.1 this morning but it wasn't as fluid at 2.3.2.202.

I ended up adding a feature to Janus which automatically updates the PJ64 RDB when a new ROM is generated.. but it's a bit of a workaround

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When using PJ64, I manually adjust the emulator setting for each rom modification I make. Yes, it's a pain in the butt when it involves testing little things, like textures and head models.

Reason why I'm glad I discovered carnivorous which detect automatically that it is still PD or GE and make the adjustments automatically.

K1lo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AL64inthedark wrote:
When using PJ64, I manually adjust the emulator setting for each rom modification I make. Yes, it's a pain in the butt when it involves testing little things, like textures and head models.

Reason why I'm glad I discovered carnivorous which detect automatically that it is still PD or GE and make the adjustments automatically.

What is carnivorous ? I've not come across this?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

He's a user who has made great strides to improve GoldenEye / Perfect Dark emulation and mouse controls. Graslu linked to his thread earlier in here.

K1lo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, I wasn't fully awake when I read that Rolling Eyes

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I use an Everdrive 64 (which I'd recommend to anyone) to play the roms on a real N64. The ED64 knows how to save properly for most commercial games and some hacks/mods, but otherwise you have to add a setting in the ED64's save-type text file, in the format

[rom id] = [save type] (plus optional comments in brackets)

The save types are:

OFF : 0
EEPROM 4k : 1
EEPROM 16k: 2
SRAM : 3
SRAM 768 : 4
FLASHRAM : 5
ROM ID or CRC HI can be used for game detection.

It's easy to find the CRC value for any rom, you can just drag the rom (in Windows) over this batch file, and the CRC value is saved in a text file. For details, see:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6125.0

so for example, the ED64\save_db.txt file contains entries such as:

N6=1 (Dr. Mario. ROM ID detection)
0xce84793d=3 (Donkey Kong [f2]. CRC detection)
OS=1 (64 Oozumou)
O2=1 (64 Oozumou 2)
0x96BA4EFB=3 (Derby Stallion 64 Beta)
0x19E0E54C=1 (Dragon King)
0x25414DCA=1 (Glover Prototype)
0xD52FE29D=1 (Donchan Puzzle)
0x6D9D1FE4=1 (Eleven Beat: World Tournament)
0x4248BA87=1 (Kuru Kuru Fever)
0x315C7466=1 (Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth Arcade)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: