ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community


Goldfinger 64 Released!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhirmer614
Agent
Agent


Joined: 19 Mar 2008
Posts: 116

 PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AL64inthedark wrote:
Check the option menu and you'll see sounds are at zero, and everything else is set wrong (like display ammo is off).
That is because there's a problem with the save. Did you force Goldfinger to save with a 4kb savefile by editing save_db.txt on your save folder ?


When I went to the Save folder it did not have the save_db.txt file but I created one and added the command and it still did not fix the problem
 
View user's profile Send private message
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Posts: 7102
Location: Ontario, Canada

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm very pleased to see this be released to the public. It's been many years of quiet work, keeping people in the dark about most of the game. Only earlier promo shots showed off a few levels and characters in progress. I was fortunate enough to assist on a few fronts, mostly writing and promotional materials, and ninth inning stretch testing (blame me if you dislike the cheat target times, if you must!). I only ever was in direct contact with SubDrag, and no one else on the team. So I want to thank them for their hard work and dedication to the project. It was a big effort, and a true labour of love. Hopefully players can recognize that as they progress through the missions.


zoinkity wrote:
Alright Wreck: Goldfinger:X when?

Haha, I will aim for a two-thousand and never release, to celebrate the infinite anniversary of the original film. Razz

However, I may not be opposed to porting a few select things from GF64 to GoldenEye X, mainly for the multiplayer portion of the game. We have a couple empty weapon slots left to fill, so that's a possibility. A level and a character or two could be fun. That's obviously if it is okay with their original designers, of course. A little cross promotion is often a good thing.
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kerr Avon
007
007


Joined: 26 Oct 2006
Posts: 876

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jhirmer614 wrote:
AL64inthedark wrote:
Check the option menu and you'll see sounds are at zero, and everything else is set wrong (like display ammo is off).
That is because there's a problem with the save. Did you force Goldfinger to save with a 4kb savefile by editing save_db.txt on your save folder ?


When I went to the Save folder it did not have the save_db.txt file but I created one and added the command and it still did not fix the problem


No, the 'save_db.txt' file goes in the ED64 folder on the SD card. See, the Everdrive 64 knows how to save properly for most commercial games and some hacks/mods, but for newer games and hacks you have to tell it what save type to use, which is why the file 'save_db.txt' exists.

Remove the SD card fom your Everdrive 64, put it in your PC or laptop, open the file:

save_db.txt

in the SD card's \ED64\ folder, add the line

GF=1

and now Goldfinger 64 will save and load properly on your Everdrive 64.


This is because the ED64 knows how to save properly for most commercial games and some hacks/mods, but otherwise you have to add a setting in the ED64's save-type text file to tell the ED64 how to save for a particular game. There's an explanation about how this works, and how to do it at:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6125.0

The following is the contents of my save_db.txt file, containing every known necessary setting (to my knowledge, up to 17th September, 2017), if you wish you can delete the contents of your save_db.txt file, and copy paste the following into it, giving you all the settings too:




OFF : 0
EEPROM 4k : 1
EEPROM 16k: 2
SRAM : 3
SRAM 768 : 4
FLASHRAM : 5
ROM ID or CRC HI can be used for game detection. (check "ROM Info" menu for details)
-----------------------------------
N6=1 (Dr. Mario. ROM ID detection)
0xce84793d=3 (Donkey Kong [f2]. CRC detection)
OS=1 (64 Oozumou)
O2=1 (64 Oozumou 2)
0x96BA4EFB=3 (Derby Stallion 64 Beta)
0x19E0E54C=1 (Dragon King)
GL=1 (Getter Love!!)
0x25414DCA=1 (Glover Prototype)
JG=3 (Jinsei Game 64)
SB=1 (King Hill 64 Extreme Snowboarding)
0x21548CA9=3 (Mini Racers Prototype)
PM=1 (Premier Manager 64)
PT=1 (Puyo Puyo 4 Puyo Puyo Party)
R7=2 (Robot Ponkotsu 64 7tsu no Umi no Caramel)
IB=3 (Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing! Definitive Edition)
T3=2 (Shin Nihon Pro Wrestling Toukon Road 2)
0xBC9B2CC3=5 (Starcraft 64 Prototype)
0x1F95CAAA=3 (Donkey Kong 64 (E) [f1] Boot&Save)
0x0D93BA11=2 (Kirby 64 - The Crystal Shards (E) [!])
0x46039FB4=2 (Kirby 64 - The Crystal Shards (U) [!])
0xFD6907F0=5 (Starcraft 64 German Prototype)
0xD52FE29D=1 (Donchan Puzzle)
0x6D9D1FE4=1 (Eleven Beat: World Tournament)
0x4248BA87=1 (Kuru Kuru Fever)
0x315C7466=1 (Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth Arcade)
0x90AF8D2C=1 (Tower & Shaft)
0x2F57C9F7=1 (Vivid Dolls)
0xB73AB6F6=1 (Sin and Punishment - English Translation)
TX=1 (Taz Express - http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=147.165)
0x7f43e701=1 (Top Gear Rally PAL - http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5385.0)
0x0160E9E5=1 (Last Legion UX (English Translation - 4k eeprom save))
0x6D75410B=2 (Yoshi's Story - modified controls - http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6087.0)
0x0AC29131=2 (Kirby 64 - The Crystal Shards (U) [!] Analog Controls)
0x0D40E9C6=2 (Conker's Bad Fur Day Modded 28-1-2017 - Altered Colors and Deathmatch modes)
0x1974961C=4 (neon64 NES emulator v3 - Press L and R for savestates)
GF=1 (Goldfinger 64 save game)
 
View user's profile Send private message
Trevor
007
007


Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 919
Location: UK, Friockheim OS:Win10-Skip PerfectGold:v4.3

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Id like to defend some decisions made by the team, but they are sort of already stated in the readme.

Firstly Id like to suggest to everyone, if you havnt already, Watch the movie. It will help.

Also, while Glen Plant got lost, he did state at the end that this was the style of GE unlike modern games that walk you through on rails.

Can anyone remember playing GE for the first time? I got lost in Facility my first time, so watching others makes me smile because it truly is a new experience.





Quote:
* Reduce the amount of empty space on maps, this was rather notable in the first level. Second level had some lack of enemies, but it was far better. This could be done by adding things like walls and such.

* Levels are a tad maze like, and sometimes repeat far more than it needs. Maybe cut them down for smaller levels.

* The colour choices on the textures are mostly very drab. While GE used a lot of grey, there was different colours to add in. Seeing cream coloured guards in maps that are mostly cream and grey makes the eyes want more.

* There was some parts of maps where I could feel way too much polygons were used, pushing the engine. (The buildings near the end of the first level were pretty bad)


Maps are meticulously based on Movie sets and locations.
I think there are plenty of enemies in the second level, the basement system is reminiscent of dam interior.

The world is mostly drab, military vehicles use Olive Drab, grass is green, sky and water are blue, concrete is grey....
Also, you say drab, yet you have played the first 2 levels, which have some brilliant latin American colour schemes.

Yes, trying to push polygons through the N64 is difficult, its why the gamecube, then wii, then wiiu and now switch all came out. However we decided that we preferred detail to "drab" backgrounds and a little slowdown doesn't hurt. Presides, if it bothers anyone that much, they can play it on the 60fps emu and be sorted. But emu's have a caveat of not fully and accurately rendering N64 graphics.

The levels were not made in order, so don't look for trends there.

With all that said, I do hope you continue to play and see the rest of the game. Not everyone enjoys the latest COD so I don't think for one moment that any of us believe that no one will dislike Goldfinger, it is after all a new game and should be treated as such.

It was made with love and that's all that really matters.



Jhirmer614 wrote:
AL64inthedark wrote:
Check the option menu and you'll see sounds are at zero, and everything else is set wrong (like display ammo is off).
That is because there's a problem with the save. Did you force Goldfinger to save with a 4kb savefile by editing save_db.txt on your save folder ?


When I went to the Save folder it did not have the save_db.txt file but I created one and added the command and it still did not fix the problem


What Everdrive OS do you have?

save_db.txt is for OS 2.10, if you cannot update your OS then follow this
Start Everdrive
Move to highlight Goldfinger v1.n64 (or whatever you named your rom)
Press Z
move to options
the first entry should say something like "No Save"
press A untill it says 4KB EEP
press B
Press B
Press Start and enjoy

Trev
_________________


Last edited by Trevor on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
 
View user's profile Send private message
CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent


Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 339

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

While I appreciate the accuracy to the film, I feel that a game should be able to stand on its own and be a fun experience without requiring to watch a 1HR and 30MIN film.
Also, GE's levels were linear, but designed so they didn't feel linear.
A game is supposed to stand on its own regardless if its based on a film or a book or ANYTHING, really.
Quote:
Cant please everyone.

Please stop with the overly condescending responses.
_________________
Playing old, low poly games since 2003
 
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Posts: 7102
Location: Ontario, Canada

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There are locations Bond never visited in the film (shipyard, Chinese factory, Goldfinger's hideout, etc.), and events that are new to the game story (such as Tilly's demise). So it certainly is not an exact conversion, just like GoldenEye was not. You don't have to watch the film in order to complete the mission campaign. While some levels may be large and feature areas you do not need to venture into for an objective, once you learn the layout, these places can be easily avoided.
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kerr Avon
007
007


Joined: 26 Oct 2006
Posts: 876

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As great as Goldfinger 64 is (and it really is, I'm loving the single player campaign, thanks so much for all of the hard work and time), there's one problem for many of us, and that's that we probably won't get to play much, if any, of the new multiplayer, owing to the unwillingness of our mates to play a game so old (even though in years past they couldn't get enough of Goldeneye's multiplayer) or for them to learn again how to properly use an N64 joypad ("It's only got one analogue stick! I can't go back to this").

So I have to ask on behalf of myself and my fellow solo-N64 gamers, is there any chance that Golfinger's multiplayer will be ported into the Perfect Dark engine, either in Goldeneye X, or Perfect Dark? That way, we'll get to play against the sims (bots) and using any weapon sets and game modes that we chose, instead of having to agree to the consensus that we'd have to follow if playing against real humans.

I know there are probably no plans to do so, which is fair enough, but if you are looking for a new project, or something to do to further build upon Goldfinger 64, then please consider this. I'm sure it would be appreciated by quite a few of us.
 
View user's profile Send private message
Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent


Joined: 29 Mar 2014
Posts: 305
Location: Canada

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So I finally finished the hack, and I gotta say after looking back on my general negativity.

It's really good once it kicks in.

Generally, the only real complaint I have is that if you pass Goldfinger's car Grounds, it's possible to deload the whole level and get stuck in a skybox.

Now, for the more minor nitpicks:

* The fact that in Miami, some parts just end in a void.



* While I've came to accept how the other levels look after I saw how much better they look on console. I dunno if having Airport's walls, ceilings, and floors being the same texture is appealing. Got lost in the map a couple times because I didn't know where I was.



* It's possible to crouch under the gate in Forest, and enter a object-less map. Dunno if that was intentional or not.

Now, for the positives, and does this hack have a lot of 'em after playing it:

* A lot of the new weapon models are made very well. I really like how the gangster-like tommy gun looks. My only issue (if it even is one) is that the Grenade Launcher's model could be moved a bit when in first-person. As you can't really see how much detail was put into the model other than the barrel.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

* I also really like how Oddjob's hat is a weapon, and that you can throw it. Gave me a pretty nice laugh.

* The maps are very detailed at times, I really, REALLY love how Club looks, and the view from Alps is amazing.





*While I did complain about the music before. Now that I've realized that Goldfinger is a pretty old film, I'd say some of the musical styles are pretty accurate to their times, and generally are pretty nice while being simplistic in nature. Specture Island sounds really good (would it be possible to get a MP3/USF dump of this hack's OST?)

*While some have said they don't like how large the levels are. They're pretty easy to navigate once you track down the landmarks. I mean, who else got lost in Streets, Statue, and Surface when they first played GE?

*Very impressive use of vertex shading, everything has shadows, and many things are defined with some nice lighting.

*More cheats = more fun (Wish there was All bonds. I assume it wasn't put in due to memory limitations)

*Also, this hack runs on console! That's impressive enough with the detail already.

Replay Value is pretty high like GE. As you can play on multiple difficulties, try to unlock the cheats, and miss things you didn't realize when you first played it.

My final rating? I give it a 8/10. While there was some flaws, it generally plays like a sequel to GE that I've been craving that still features the Bond theme. I'd suggest people who got turned off by the game due to the flaws to play some more so you can get used to it.
_________________
This is a signature, why did you read this?
 
View user's profile Send private message
Trevor
007
007


Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 919
Location: UK, Friockheim OS:Win10-Skip PerfectGold:v4.3

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fillerthefreak wrote:
The fact that in Miami, some parts just end in a void.

hahaha Laughing must have forgot the gate there Razz

As for airport, please accept that this is one of the placeholder levels. The real airport is well... an airport haha.
This tunnle portion is only a tiny part of the level, and it will definatly be lit properly once done. Just imagin and damp dim section like Dam interior.


Fillerthefreak wrote:
It's possible to crouch under the gate in Forest, and enter a object-less map. Dunno if that was intentional or not.

Shocked I'm going to say ... no? Rolling Eyes

Fillerthefreak wrote:

My only issue (if it even is one) is that the Grenade Launcher's model could be moved a bit when in first-person. As you can't really see how much detail was put into the model other than the barrel.

The M79, as you will see in the watch, is designed for lobbing and therefor held low. The guns have been moved a few times and the M79 is probably in the best place since raising it would have a buttstock clipping the viewport.
I may take another look at the values while doing the final BSP since I notice the M1 Garand looked lower than the rest.
I know that when I used a measuring tape to measure gun positions to myself, they all got a little small, so they were brought closer back to Rares positions.


Fillerthefreak wrote:

The maps are very detailed at times, I really, REALLY love how Club looks, and the view from Alps is amazing


Alps is very good but it has yet to be finished, so again, take it with a pinch of salt. I'm sure the final will blow us away since the current version was "rushed". Shocked

Fillerthefreak wrote:

While some have said they don't like how large the levels are. They're pretty easy to navigate once you track down the landmarks. I mean, who else got lost in Streets, Statue, and Surface when they first played GE?

Exactly Smile


Kerr Avon wrote:
will be ported into the Perfect Dark engine

I cant say myself, however I have been informed that PD simply cannot run these levels without serious modifications to the PD engine.
Don't get me wrong, I think it would be fantastic to have more intelligent guards, more animations and simulants. it just simply isn't possible.

What I would say is that perhaps, if anyone takes up such another project, they might be inclined to use the PD engine.

Trev
_________________
 
View user's profile Send private message
Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent


Joined: 29 Mar 2014
Posts: 305
Location: Canada

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here's how it looks like OOB beyond the gate in Forest, it's basically Foundry with no assets.



Maybe there could be an invisible wall at the gate to stop you from crouching under it? Then most of the Foundry leftovers could be removed to speed up loading times for this map.
_________________
This is a signature, why did you read this?
 
View user's profile Send private message
zoinkity
007
007


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 1666

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with porting to PD had something to do with a certain Zoinkity that never patched scaling into its engine. (PD doesn't use stage scaling like GE does)

As somebody who will not have anything to do with it, porting MP stages doesn't sound too hard. Steel Mill, Offices, and China would be the better candidates. Prison is an excellent stage but would require some objects imported. Island is a great map, but probably too similar to Labyrinth.

Honestly, I'd suggest watching the movie firstly because it's one of the better Bond flicks, but secondly to get a really good grasp of how well the original enviroments were converted.

I will say some areas are too large in scale, such as the silos at the beginning. That particular area itself would work better designed as-is, but scaled smaller to be more managable (without changes to the town, intro, etc.). The only area that's too large in general would be Knox, since you're talking 90% of that stage serves no purpose whatsoever. Fun otherwise, so long as you know where you're going. Hunting roving cars in the non-suburb area could be fun as an objective, but the suburbs on the right are way too large for just some cursory body armor. Nice to look at from a distance, but no functional use.
Vault is what Control should have been. Control was annoying, but Vault is great.
_________________
(\_/) Beware
(O.o) ze
(> <) Hoppentruppen!
 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 360

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In response to the things mentioned (more or less), I'd like to give a few parts of my somewhat revised opinion (seeing as I have now spent quite some time with the game), and maybe try to explain some aspects in a more nuanced way.

* The fact that most maps are extremely large seems to be brought up frequently, that, and the fact that people easily get lost in them. I have to say, this definitely caused some initial frustration with me, but after having started to play the mod for a second time, things definitely went better in the majority of the maps. In terms of intuitiveness and learning the general lay-out of the map relatively quickly, there are only a few maps that I still find somewhat tedious to traverse, including Grounds, Ranch, and Knox. The last one is the only level of which the size really bothers me to a more severe degree, especially combined with the inaccurate weapons you get. I feel like focussing the action more around the vault entrance couldíve fixed this issue. In any case, these are outdoor levels with wide, open areas that just don't have a whole lot in them, give you few options other than just traversing it, and are not fun to explore (for me) because of it. They aren't flawed because they don't hold your hand like your average shooters do these days, but there's just not that much incentive to actually explore them fully. Even now, I only have a general idea about which direction to walk in order to complete the objectives, (the bare minimum requirement), and I don't have the levels mapped out in my head all that well. On the other hand, levels like China, Bodega, and Club, for example, are much more enjoyable to traverse during a second playthrough. On a side note, I got lost in facility too during my first time, but almost every room had something to play with, be it glass flasks or gas canisters, and this is far less the case in the open fields of levels such as Knox.
Well, at least Iím glad other do seem to feel the same after playing the maps a few more times! And I'm also very glad more experienced members of this community seem to agree about Knox being a bit of a time waster.

* I do have to agree that the team did a fantastic job in recreating scenes from the movie. As a translator, I know how difficult it is to faithfully transfer certain aspects that make a work of art (either a movie or a book) really what it is. Small details like the room number of Goldfinger's suite or the electrified fence that causes Oddjob to die go a long way in establishing a certain atmosphere, and definitely give the impression that the team, just like I do, fully respects the original movie.
Also, levels that aren't finished yet, like the airplane level, have fourth-wall breaking jokes, and it's always nice to see creators admit that they can't deliver perfect work, so in that regard, I don't think the team has any reason to be actually condescending towards anyone who has feedback at all.
Even with newer levels that didnít happen in the original movie, the team did a fine job. They feel like they would fit in, story-wise.

* Visually, my only complaints are, again, with the open fields. I believe the team created some very pleasing colour pallets, but the open fields in the Knox level, for example, all look very similar and rather uninteresting because of it. The indoor parts combined with the many props are definitely where the mod comes to shine in its visual aspect, for me. The level of detail in the hotel rooms of Bodega is crazy, as well as the elaborately designed rooms in Club, to name a few examples.
Some interesting effects and gimmicks as well, such as the aquarium room in Miami, or the overhearing scene of operation Grand Slam from the basement, which I felt was 100% visually accurate to the movie.

* Gameplay is mostly fine and I feel it even adds a touch of cleverness in most levels compared to the original GoldenEye, but I did have a few moments of "okay, what now?" I also had these moments with GoldenEye, but sometimes, I guess it can be discouraging to feel lost in such gigantic maps, such as the Shipyard level, where you essentially have to look for needles in a haystack.
Also, I had the feeling that the action blocks of some levels were more advanced than others. For instance, the scientists and workers in China all seem to run away after you point your gun at them, but the Civilians in Cartel just keep awkwardly standing there while repeating the same sentences over and over again. That, or I missed something Razz Also, in Ranch, the way miss Galore just walks to the other end of the ranch while guards are firing at you is very strange. Maybe I triggered the actions too soon, but I feel they should start attacking AFTER youíve had your talk with her.
Also, in some maps, such as foundry I believe, it is too easy to accidentally fail your objectives or end the mission too soon by just opening a door. I get that watching the movie might prevent you from doing this, but as mentioned before, the movie should be the support of the game and the source of its atmosphere, and not, say, a walkthrough.
Bugs and similar issues are minimal, and I only broke a level once due to a problem with the clipping
The weapons, which are an important part of the gameplay in a shooter, all feel very unique and fun to play around with, except for the MP40, which I feel is misplaced in some levels. I looked up some of the stats in game configuration, and I thought I saw somewhere that this gun has indeed a very high level of inaccuracy, which is weird, considering it appears in some gigantic levels. I think a carbine or different sort of long-range rifle wouldíve been a better choice. I get that this doesnít fit the movie, but still. I do like the fact that the guns are somewhat historically and geographically accurate though.
I looked up the times required to beat the level in order to get a new cheat in the game configuration as well, and I do think these are insanely difficult to get in some levels Razz But I guess this really gives a lot of incentive to explore even the most gigantic of maps for shortcuts and such, so I get why this decision was made.

!!
In regards to cheats and unlocks though, I have a question. Is it true that you canít unlock all cheats and levels for testing purposes via the game configuration? I tried selecting these options, but only a handful of the cheats were unlocked, and no levels at all. Iíve been advancing through secret agent now, almost up until the last few levels, but for the sake of testing ALL weapons and ALL levels, I was trying to see if I could change these settings.
!!


* Music is fantastic because of how well it seems to fit most levels. There are maybe a few tracks that I donít like as much, such as Knox, because while it is fitting, it sounds rather simple and even somewhat incomplete, if that makes any sense. I think itís because a large part of the song is just drums, and Iím not quite used to this, as GoldenEye does have some impressive themes for the time period. The theme from Plane is one of my favourites though, because it has such a distinct Ďfinal missioní feeling to it, similar to Cradle, which is also my favourite theme from the original game.

* Overall, for sheer effort alone, this mod deserves being called outstanding, especially when compared to other mods for GE. In that aspect, it truly is a whole new game that has been keeping me hooked for the past two days. The fact that I always want to return to it to discover new things is definitely a solid indicator of the modís success.
However, if we do consider it as if it were a standalone game, I think itíd still be fair to say it has its issues when compared to the original game. People who are either a) unfamiliar with the movie or the genre as a whole or b) somewhat rusty when the original GE is considered and have been Ďspoiledí by modern games, or heck, spoiled by their nostalgia of the original GE (and thus remember it to be greater than it actually was), might have to take some time to really get into this game and appreciate it for what it is. Still, I think itís safe to say that the polish and overall quality has been improved upon in certain areas, compared to GE (visual detail and scale is much larger, thanks to the extra meg patch, and Iíd say the writing is cleaner and more clever as well), but it has some flaws in other areas, mostly level layout and level intuitiveness (the latter issue fixes itself through multiple playthroughs, but still, exploration and wasting time are sometimes difficult to distinguish), and I feel like a few action blocks could have been a little more advanced or polished as well. That being said, if this were released back then, alongside GE, Iím sure it wouldíve been remembered as a classic today.


Last edited by SilverEye on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
 
View user's profile Send private message
SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent


Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 419
Location: spain

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm really surprised by the release of this mod. has done a great job, impressive artistic and technical work. I could not imagine that he had been creating for two decades, but now I understand why in the past there were not as many advances as there are now with the GE-Editor and there were not so many discoveries. now I hope every new mod does not take so many years to complete.

All or almost everything is very detailed in the game. The levels are very large and I have gotten lost in them.

I am delighted that GE-X is going to count in the future with some Goldfinger weapons, among my favorites are the colt, Thompson, Luger POB.

I am currently stuck in level 4 shipyard, because I do not know how to complete objective B.
 
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Trickle
Agent
Agent


Joined: 28 Oct 2016
Posts: 49

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

While I can't give a full review of GF 64 right now, I have been really enjoying it so far! I have been playing on my Everdrive 64 on Secret Agent and have made it to Miami (pro-tip, go to Auric's hotel before he plays cards to grab all the weapons in that one room before the bodyguards see you as a threat Razz). I talked to Jill and that affectedly ended the level before I can kill all the bodyguards lol.

I see some people complaining about the size of the levels and a lot of unused areas, but I kind of liken this to levels like Surface on GE 007. There is a massive clipping glitch in Miami though, you just need to strafe run into the little door where the bartender is serving by the pool. Once there, you can walk far above the beach on the outside.

But overall, I can't get over the amount of detail in these levels so far, I liked the look of the second level especially. The npcs also have very interesting waypoints. The frame rate can be slow at times, but not enough to ruin the experience for me. I think the fog works well enough. This was one of the best surprise releases of 2017 for sure! I will probably go back to playing again in a bit Smile
_________________
┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

 
View user's profile Send private message
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Posts: 7102
Location: Ontario, Canada

 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SilverEye wrote:
I looked up the times required to beat the level in order to get a new cheat in the game configuration as well, and I do think these are insanely difficult to get in some levels Razz But I guess this really gives a lot of incentive to explore even the most gigantic of maps for shortcuts and such, so I get why this decision was made.

Trust me, they are all very possible to achieve. They are longer than my quickest completions. Once people learn the layouts and the fastest routes, cheats will get unlocked rapidly. If the Elite speed runners get into this, my personal best times will probably become a joke. Razz
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Cobalt 2.0 BB theme/template by Jakob Persson.
Copyright © 2002-2004 Jakob Persson


Powered by BB © 01, 02 BB Group

 


Please Visit My Other Sites: GoldenEyeForever.com | GrandTheftAutoForever.com

Got kids? Check out my Dora The Explorer site with games and coloring pages!

Our forums feature Nintendo 64 games, GoldenEye 007 N64 New Maps and Missions, GoldenEye Cheats, N64 Emulator, Gameshark, GoldenEye Multiplayer and more!

[ Privacy Policy ]