ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldfinger 64 Released!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AverageGamerStoner1
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nerdgasm confirmed.......

Thanks to all involved in creating this, it definitely took some serious dedication.

doctornull
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Stuck on ranch, can't figure out how to open Goldfinger's safe. Can anyone help?

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sogun , that is incredible , I wonder does the GE007 team know about all these developments ? The expansion pak support that's all Zoinkity's doing huh , no help

Thanx so very much !! Masterminds !!!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

doctornull wrote:
Stuck on ranch, can't figure out how to open Goldfinger's safe. Can anyone help?

One tip: If you ever get stuck, check your watch. There may be something in your inventory, or written in the briefing, that could help.

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've just played the first mission and had a look around multiplayer, its amazing... im gona stop typing now and carry on playing Smile
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

AverageGamerStoner1
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The basement area in the 2nd level, gave off a bit of a Wolf 3D vibe to me...... not going to lie, I checked for hidden passages Laughing

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually just tried kicking it over again and started noticing a heap of issues - from none of the guns having the standard target sight to about half of the guns firing straight through enemies...I've a growing suspicion that I'm using the incorrect base rom (always an issue with this sort of thing!).
EDIT: Yes it was the rom! I rebuilt it and it seems to be working well, with bullets actually hitting enemies and target sights showing up...BUT...then my Ultra HDMI mod N64 stopped working for no apparent reason, so it's currently spread out all over my kitchen table and is undergoing checking until it works again.

Initial thoughts: The levels are too "unoriented". Don't get me wrong - they're incredible, but all too often it's you, a maze-like set of cellars of streets, and the occasional enemy encounter. This makes everything feel empty as generally Goldeneye has either been linear and densely packed, or has a constant drip of enemies between monster closets. I've played the first three levels so far and they're all kind of suffering from the same issue (and I'd say I'll have done the same with mine!).

Suggestions (sorry if I'm about to make the "more work" side of things...). I think this can be solved in setup as modifying the maps is a bigger task:
-Use artistic licence with what's going on. We want to blast enemies, not get lost in maps
-Use some psychological methods to guide the player: "if there are enemies I've not been here". Loved level 2, but after I'd cleared it out I got lost, and then it occurred to me: have enemies spawn around the objective and find their way towards the player, so as the player hunts their way back through the level they'll be lead to the objective
-Skip the formalities: sticking with the story is all very well in theory, but not all that fun as movies aren't games. For instance: Level 3 - suppose we cut from the movie and it begins with James up the top of the hotel and in a clip scene Felix explains that Goldfingers private security is hunting for James. Shoot your way down, confront Goldfinger etc. Unrealistic and unfitting I know, but it's a bit more "game". This is the difficulty fubbly wobbly stuff that's virtually impossible to nail, and that "nailing" is half the reason I left the games industry

All of that said again: I'm still floored by this and ran around every corner of the level to see what had been crammed into it. I think the high-point so far is when I shot my characture and said "No MR Kane! I expect you to die!" which had my partner in fits of laughter. I'll be sure to play more once I fix this console...

Oh! And that music is top notch!

Goldeneye64
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What a fine, and amazing accomplishment to such a dedicated team! I have not been able to play this (on account of not having an Expansion Pak) but I've liked what I've seen (from the Glenn Plant 3-level playthrough).

In regards to some of the levels not being fully "completed" and as such that this was a public beta rather than a finalized "v1.1final", is there any such word on those levels being finalized to the creators content and then released as another patch?

Also in regards to the 7 Meg thing, that had me interested. Would that refinement also work on other engines or is it only specific to GoldenEye (and by chance Perfect Dark?) Because that would be cool if it would work for other hacks (such as Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64 etc) which theoretically would allow more space which means more content within the game, for more greater rom hacks etc.

All in all, a terrific job (I actually signed up here after a couple years of lurking on about GE:X) , and can't wait to see whats in store in terms of updates/addendums.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

With any new game, you're bound to get lost within a level (well, not so much anymore, as many games have on screen maps, waypoints, prompts and highlighted objective related models). It isn't until you plot out the areas in your head that you can quickly skip over the parts that don't play into your mission. That allows you to both tackle the cheat target times, and remain in the action. Later on you can tour the whole environment, and explore all the additional areas. Nobody complained about the Punk Pond in PD, or the Island in Dam, am I right?

Oh, and I really can't stress enough, to thoroughly read the mission briefing and check your inventory for useful gadgets. There's usually something there to help you out. Heck, I imagine some people had no idea how to get out of the cell in Bunker ii for a while, and felt a bit embarrassed when they did figure it out. A certain character, more so Q or M, offer hints, and the objective names themselves can lend a better idea (such as Plant explosives in silos - being plural). And if all else fails, refer to the movie.

Unfortunately I was unable to get a "Wreck" head made in time for release, but hopefully people will enjoy shooting me in the face (just not too much) at some point down the road. Razz

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Been playing it the last few days...

It's a great achievement, and shows how powerful the Setup Editor is if you know your way around it!

Fantastic work!

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a body armor on shipyard 00A ? Because there's two in the first mission, and it wouldn't be too hard with an armor on shipyard too ^^

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Goldeneye64 wrote:
Also in regards to the 7 Meg thing...[w]ould that refinement also work on other engines or is it only specific to GoldenEye

The 8MB patch has been available for a while. this 7MB variation was (grudgingly) made because somebody didn't want to set up a 1MB allocation using the normal memory manager and instead hide it and use direct addressing, yada yada ;*)

Some maps use a larger portion of that memory than others. The static and mostly-static allocations are pretty much set in stone at this point and can be verified at runtime. The DL and vertex buffers for generating the framebuffers though are generous (and sometimes very generous) estimates. We can see how much of that is used at any given moment, but really the largest consumption values need to be logged and retained through a full stage run. It has to be large enough to contain the most intricate scene that could potentially appear. Since there's two debug features that log that differently, guessing Rare didn't have a good way to determine it either. Didn't help that one of the last bugs squashed was something that corrupted one of those buffers ;*)

We aren't entirely joking about the 7MB thing slowing the game down. More stuff equals more processing, and that's why you're seeing 15 second load times on Cartel. The more texture calls that occur in the display lists the slower a stage will boot. Unlike most other titles, images are placeholdered with NOPs and expanded into complete command lists. To do that, all the code following the image op gets copied and pasted after the inserted code and all offsets/pointers get corrected. The more you shuffle images the more you're copy+pasting and the longer the processing time. Likewise, the more you load at one time (like preloading most of a stage) the higher the cost. Ideally we'd replace fastcopy with the RSP copy microcode, but that would potentially break a number of emulators.

There's no generic way to convince a game to utilize extra memory when found. A number have optional features when it is present, like higher-resolution textures or output. Of the ones that don't, it does turn out a small number will set it up (even though there's no benefit), that some will limit however much is found to a specific cap (OoT to 6MB, some to 5 or 7), and one in particular--Starcraft64--will use as much as found. In fact, if you happen to have more than 8 (the limit before you need to rewrite rdram initialization is 16MB) Starcraft64 would allow you to play all MP maps with the max number of AI, since the cap is determined 1) by map settings and 2) available memory.

Just because it's there and just because it's found doesn't mean it will ever be used. It also doesn't make the system "faster". In fact, how a program behaves when it is present is up to the program itself.

Perfect Dark uses the expansion pak if present. If you don't have one, the only content you get is a very simplified variety of multiplayer. Single player--or really what we consider normal gameplay--requires it.

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

there is one thing I want to say, my friend Yourgamerman Mexicali broadcast live the game (or mod) of Goldfinger 64, but he told me that at Shipyard level (level 4) there is no bulletproof vest, he was exploring the whole level and I do not find it he even asked me to tell them this

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
Initial thoughts: The levels are too "unoriented". Don't get me wrong - they're incredible, but all too often it's you, a maze-like set of cellars of streets, and the occasional enemy encounter. This makes everything feel empty as generally Goldeneye has either been linear and densely packed, or has a constant drip of enemies between monster closets. I've played the first three levels so far and they're all kind of suffering from the same issue (and I'd say I'll have done the same with mine!).

Yeah, I haven't had much time to play, but the first mission seems like a poor reflection on the quality of the game. Visuals are dark, fog makes landmarks difficult to spot, the area with the silos has incredibly long sightlines and the rest is maze-like. I mistook the briefing as meaning to place the explosives on the silos and missed that they could even be opened (though rereading, it does clearly say in), so I nearly failed that objective--seeing that they clearly had doors got me curious and I had 6 left.

Just giving a dark blue sky or one with clouds to create a point of reference horizon and silhouette the landmarks would probably help the start a lot. Maybe add some searchlights to the guard towers so the ground is lit up in a few places (plus you can trigger guards to run to the player if they enter these lights! rather than having them taking potshots across huge sightlines). As it is, it's like walking through a black void with some tire tracks and white walls... Not trying to be overly critical here, but I don't think the background gives a good first impression. The mission design feels very GoldenEye.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually a skyline on that level would be a fantastic idea for maintaining orientation! I did watch a video of someone playing it and they got hopelessly lost trying to figure out which silos they'd put explosives in, but I got lost in the town area as I was running around looking at all of it - if anything can I also say that I'm thrilled to see that it's not in english! Too many forms of media assume that "because this is an english release everyone should speak english". I did find myself looking for more cover in the silo area however, and couldn't beat the level on 00 Agent.

Pertaining to what Wreck said about Punk Pond and the Island: these are locked of areas of the level, and highly constrained areas (one room, one way in, one way out). If you look at Goldeneye in general it's a linear experience with very small levels and minimal guesswork about what the player should be doing. Modern games have only continued to minimise this model to the point where everything could be considered a "corridor set piece game with occasional puzzles/opens" and to be honest I do kinda like that - it fits with my "I've got no time!" lifestyle lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: