ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Fixing old Goldeneye hacks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Each mission presents its own challenges. And, yes, some are certainly more frustrating and take more time to sort out. I make it tougher than it needs to be, by addressing things outside of just the crashes. However, I think it is worth it. Not only are these missions now fully playable on console, but even people who already beat them in the past might want to test out the updated version.

Shipping Yard, eh? We might be entering into legendary territory on that one...

MRKane: If you want me to poke at anything, feel free to send me a patch. PD is trickier, for sure, but between GE-X and regular GoldenEye modding, I might be able to help sort some things out.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Another one done...

Galvic Prison, by Rey
http://n64vault.com/ge-levels:galvic-prison

Crash issue in watch was text related, where all briefings, objectives and level name, were not properly set to the level itself. Another issue was the alarm spawned guards, who could potentially keep spawning and eventually - if bad enough - may crash the game. Now they only respawn if their ID is determined as killed. I tried to help the holding cells area frame rate by removing a few characters and props (and replaced some with models that use fewer polygons), but It's still a big sluggish. It is because of how much is being squeezed into the area, where almost everything is drawn on screen. If you lure out the guards, it'll improve as they are eliminated. Oh, and an annoying camera that could see through floors was adjusted with an action block to enable only when in the correct area.

Check out the edit notes for more details.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One more...

P.T.C.H., by SNESVideoGames0
http://n64vault.com/ge-levels:ptch

Here is the ironic thing about this one. Even though it doesn't have any actual enemies, I found myself fighting it a bit. The main thing was memory. It seemed like the level would load fine, and then the next edit I tested, it would fail. I ended up removing two characters (because everybody used a unique model), and that got it working more consistently.

Anyway, the author had a bunch of extra dialogue that was either completely unused, or wasn't seen because two lines were called in a row. I have put most of that dialogue to work, and even added a bit more. Since this mission isn't about defeating bad guys around each and every corner, it was worth the extra time to try and complete the intended vision.

Oh, also, I have included an extra folder inside the zip with his original files. The setup, text, and briefing. This way, while the patch may be replaced, his files will remain accessible and not lost. I WILL be doing thing to all the ones I have already uploaded. Nothing will change in the readme or on the page itself, but the zips with now include an additional folder with those archived files.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thumbs up for archiving! I, too, want to send you kudos for your work on these revisions. It's great to have these more accessible and playable.

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I WILL be doing thing to all the ones I have already uploaded. Nothing will change in the readme or on the page itself, but the zips with now include an additional folder with those archived files.

I'm glad you doing this and keeping the original files. I actually have already been doing this and as I have downloaded your updated missions I've been popping the original zip in with "_original" after the file name.
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Long overdue, but I just replaced the whole newest batch of updated zips with new ones. They now include the preview image (jpg or png) for the download page, as well as an additional folder labeled "original". Inside is the setup, text and briefing file exported from the older ROM build. I rarely alter backgrounds or clipping, so you can just save them out from the newly patched ROM, if needed.

I apologize for not having these things in before. My primary concern was getting the missions running on console, and I guess I didn't think much about keeping files that crashed console. But I understand and agree with archiving, so the important ones are maintained.

I'll also be replacing the Enemy Lasers Cheat patch with a new one. Apparently there were some bugs in it, including the helicopters in Frigate and Statue being very messed up. I know this patch is really old (nearly 13 years!), and IPS Patches can give users a hard time depending on how their ROM is structured (byteswapped, etc).

http://n64vault.com/ge-misc:enemy-lasers

I added some information on how people can do this themselves using the GE Editor, as it is fully supported under the Cheats section of the 21990 Game Configuration menu.

daniel316
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glad to hear it's been fixed Wreck, I remember this Enemy Lasers also used to corrupt my 1964 save file, glad that it's been addressed.

Although another old challenge mod also doesn't work, that's GoldenEye Hard Mode by author Ositsho. The mod simply locks up and doesn't start on both 1964 and Console, not sure why that is but I figured it was worth bringing up.

Here's a link to it if you were curious: http://n64vault.com/ge-levels:goldeneye-hard-mode

It's also incorrectly put under solo custom levels and not Misc. Mods for some reason

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can take a look. If I can at least get it to start, others could report any issues with the levels.

I tried checking out the Beta Conversion mod, but I ran into a major hurdle. The Editor cannot open it. I believe I ran into this problem the last time I updated a bunch of custom missions that crashed on console. KCGhost did include some individual files in a folder. Seemed like all the setups and a few clipping mods. However, if he made alterations to text files or other things (sky blocks, models, textures, etc), they'll be absent until putting them back in, which won't be a simple task.

By the way, that HakPak 64 website is coming up as expired. I can still view things on the GE page I have open, but there is an expiration notice covering the center.

daniel316
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yikes so what you're saying is, that Beta Conversion Mod is in a very broken state atm?

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
By the way, that HakPak 64 website is coming up as expired. I can still view things on the GE page I have open, but there is an expiration notice covering the center.

I couldn't afford to keep paying the rent every month due to life issues cropping up and then this virus stuff happening, if someone wants to help cover the cost of the next 3 months I'll bring it back online otherwise it will be down for the foreseeable future. It's $32.97 for 3 months.

Edit: Even though I've had issues with N64 Vault in the past if someone wanted to kickstart the website again I'd be down to come back and continue updating it, got plenty of free time on my hands anyway so why not and I've been itching to play some N64.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I tried the Hard Mode IPS, and it worked for me. However, I do know that people often run into trouble using IPS patches. If your ROM doesn't match the original version the author used to create the patch, than chances are it won't work correctly. Levels may not load, it might freeze while trying to choose a mission in the folders, etc. So, I regenerated the patch as Xdelta, and replaced the zip. I did play through Dam 00 Agent on console without issue. Someone else must have moved it to the Miscellaneous section already.

http://n64vault.com/ge-misc:goldeneye-hard-mode

Whatever it is with the Beta Conversion Mod, the Editor can't read it in. It seems to play alright with PJ64, with exception to the crashing levels. The thing is nearly 13 years old, so it isn't surprising some problems could occur with a project as big as that from way back then.

If costs to run the website are growing too difficult to keep up with, could something not be added directly to the N64 Vault? A new area that contains each of the various games on their own pages? Your data could be moved over there, and updated as things are corrected / added. I'm not sure what the circumstances are between yourself and the N64 Vault staff, but I believe whoever is involved could move past it, as the intention to share custom ROMs and console compatibility information is something we can all agree on. We're a small enough community as it is, and we do our best when we work together.

Edit: I just updated the GE Blood Patch zip and page. The original release only had an IPS patch to be used on 21990 files. This made it so any GoldenEye mod could have blood added to it. But, I know some people ran into trouble using this, so I finally got around to adding in an Xdelta patch. Now anybody can quickly apply it to a normal GE ROM and see the blood themselves. And anyone who wants to accuse me of simply recolouring the spark affect again, tssk tssk. If that were the case, the colour would be much more pleasing. Wink

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

YEH

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
If costs to run the website are growing too difficult to keep up with, could something not be added directly to the N64 Vault? A new area that contains each of the various games on their own pages? Your data could be moved over there, and updated as things are corrected / added. I'm not sure what the circumstances are between yourself and the N64 Vault staff, but I believe whoever is involved could move past it, as the intention to share custom ROMs and console compatibility information is something we can all agree on. We're a small enough community as it is, and we do our best when we work together.

Now I won't derail this thread too much more but on paper yeah but in reality I've sunken way too much of my own time and money to hand the project over to a different website with staff I have issues with or anyone for that matter. This is a passion project for me, one I not only enjoy working on but one that is fulfilling and simply handing that over to someone else would destroy that, I've already been burnt when I tried running the project on someone else's website forums and even then I was in good standing with them.

I'm sure you can understand my desire not to move it anywhere.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Renegadist (not Kerr Avon, I don't know how I managed that typo Embarassed ), did the Legend of Zelda hack Zelda's Birthday work for you? No matter what I try, it crashes when I leave the first room.

And re: your comparability listings project, I don't understand why Krikzz wasn't keen to let you set up a full, editable thread on the ED64 forum. It would have been a perfect place to host it.

Last edited by Kerr Avon on Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
And re: your comparability listings project, I don't understand why Krikzz wasn't keen to let you set up a full, editable thread on the ED64 forum. It would have been a perfect place to host it.

Guess he got tired of me asking to up the text limit and to be fair with a project like this I would have had to up it seemingly forever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: