ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Fixing old Goldeneye hacks?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Fixing old Goldeneye hacks? Reply with quote Back to top

I was going over my old compatibility list I did for the ED64 and I was thinking it would be cool if the community/the original hack creators got together and fixed up their old GE hacks to work on the console.

Wondered what everyone else thought?

Link to the compatibility list here: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6046.0

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I rather think we should first make a clean up and get rid of every level that isn't worth it, be it in the listing or the vault. Place them in an archive, or second category.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AL64inthedark wrote:
I rather think we should first make a clean up and get rid of every level that isn't worth it, be it in the listing or the vault. Place them in an archive, or second category.

The problem comes when some people may like hacks and some won't, it's all subjective so it would be hard to choose which ones are removed.

I'm just saying we fix them up since there isn't a whole lot that don't work.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I may take a look at a few of these. It isn't always simple to determine the exact cause of the crash, but your notes should certainly be a great starting place. I've helped a few patches in the past (Counter-Strike and the Banjo-Kazooie map pak) to run better on console, so there's hope that these others can be improved.

Yeah, it's too much of a personal choice for what's good and what's... not so good. I know it does seem like a wasted effort to go about fixing a mod you don't personally like, but hopefully somewhere out there in this wide world (or beyond!) there will be someone to appreciate it.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I may take a look at a few of these. It isn't always simple to determine the exact cause of the crash, but your notes should certainly be a great starting place. I've helped a few patches in the past (Counter-Strike and the Banjo-Kazooie map pak) to run better on console, so there's hope that these others can be improved.

That would be amazing to not only fix hacks that don't run on consoles but to also possibly improve speed of other hacks that are slower on the console. It would bring me much joy to either turn those reds and yellows into greens but to also remove notes about lag on already playable hacks.

I'd also be happy to work with you on that, I can't help with fixing them but I can certainly throw a ROM into my ED64 and give it the same pass I did the first time to see if any problems or slowdowns still exist. That and send you more detailed notes concerning where slowdowns are occurring.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, so I tested out eight of the patches listed as crashing, and I am confused. Why? Because every single one of them worked for me.

Dam Overture
Darkness
Facilito
Free For All
Hide and Seek
Janus Nuclear Facility
Meeting Room
Missile Facility

Now, all but one did require that I unlocked all missions in order to play them on a new save file. I did not thoroughly test them during my play, since the documented failure was in the briefing folder. Free For All did crash once after I had been killed, but it was not consistent. So, I am curious how these were giving you, or any others, problems...

Edit: Even "Hard Mode" - which is listed as unplayable - loaded up just fine for me. I completed Dam on 00 Agent, and Facility started without issue. I have an older model EverDrive 64, so I can't really see that being the difference?

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Alright, so I tested out eight of the patches listed as crashing, and I am confused. Why? Because every single one of them worked for me.

Dam Overture
Darkness
Facilito
Free For All
Hide and Seek
Janus Nuclear Facility
Meeting Room
Missile Facility

Now, all but one did require that I unlocked all missions in order to play them on a new save file. I did not thoroughly test them during my play, since the documented failure was in the briefing folder. Free For All did crash once after I had been killed, but it was not consistent. So, I am curious how these were giving you, or any others, problems...

Edit: Even "Hard Mode" - which is listed as unplayable - loaded up just fine for me. I completed Dam on 00 Agent, and Facility started without issue. I have an older model EverDrive 64, so I can't really see that being the difference?

Did you patch it on a .n64 or .z64 file?

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Given what was going on under the hood of Dam Overture I'd especially expect a crash on that one. Oh well Smile Glad to hear that I don't have to fix it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure, as many of my games are just ".rom" extensions. I believe the base ROM I used to patch with was not byteswapped. Maybe IPS patches can give more trouble than Xdelta? I thought I recalled SubDrag mentioning once that the Editor could handle it either way, but maybe not for IPS. Either way, those nine all loaded up just fine during my personal tests.

MRKane: the level loaded up and performed fine, though there was the odd clipping hiccup here and there. GE clipping is far more finnicky than PD, with all the connections, so I am not surprised to see it happening. In my own experiments, I run into the same thing. Modifying an original GE file can break a lot.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll try repatching the ROMs with a .n64 file instead of .z64.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For PD, I did notice that Jonaeru and I's level 'dataDyne Cessation' doesn't work, I have an older copy of it from about one testing build before my release that works great, just with no intro.

Anyway, please note that in the end, the extension is just an extension and nothing more. If you open in HexEditor, and looks like this, generally you're good to go.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

acceptable67 wrote:
For PD, I did notice that Jonaeru and I's level 'dataDyne Cessation' doesn't work, I have an older copy of it from about one testing build before my release that works great, just with no intro.

Anyway, please note that in the end, the extension is just an extension and nothing more. If you open in HexEditor, and looks like this, generally you're good to go.

It must be the ROM I used because I can't think of any other reason why it crashes.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I've now tested Dam Overture with two different ROM's and I still crash on the difficulty screen. This can't just be me.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know. That's bizarre. I just used the Editor's apply IPS patch option in GE mode, chose my default GoldenEye ROM, the patch, and saved. Had zero problems with the ones I listed. I figured it would be an issue with either the briefing file or the text, but since they didn't crash on me, it's more than likely your base ROM. Unless it is an ED64 thing, which seems very unlikely.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm at a loss here. I'll try a couple more times with different ROM's but I doubt it will work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: