ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Fixing old Goldeneye hacks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fixed it, Carnivorous and I figured that we needed to byteswap the ROMs for the patches to work. I guess using an .n64 endian doesn't work with those IPS patches.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glad to hear that they do indeed work for you. It definitely seemed like it was a ROM issue, and you had mentioned for some hacks to use the Xdelta patch over the IPS patch, should both be bundled together. This should narrow the list down a bit.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm quite surprise the majority of my multiplayer maps work flawlessly. But I do question why Cargo Ship and Donut Land won't load. Non the less those maps were pretty dang awful compared to other multiplayer maps.

For the Antenna Cradle and Antenna Cradle Source, not much can be said about Source on my end since I've vastly changed up quite a bit to make Antenna Cradle load in general.

As for your issue, the reason why you're experiencing such a weird graphical effect on hardware is because of how far I set the fog. Sogun pointed this out to me when he tested this on actual hardware. I've not done much with Goldeneye editing since 2013 or 2014 to my knowledge, but I may fix up my older maps to run on actual hardware a bit smoother and for Antenna Cradle sakes actually working on console.

That is if I can make the time to go back and mod the game again, I'll leave what Sogun sent on an old post about how to fix the fog for Antenna Cradle so it will be playable on consoles.

Edit: I forgot to also mention Sogun did provide a video that the level actually runs on consoles with those exact fog settings. If you're interested, I'll link it here below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWTU1PzxjQM&feature=youtu.be

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Eternal your Mario map will run 95% of the time but definitely runs flawless and the MIDI for Dam is hilarious wish to hear more custom musics =}

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, so far I've found about 20 Solo hacks that are using the IPS system so with any luck all 20 will now work since I'm using the proper endian.

As far as Multi hacks go I'm waiting until this weekend to go back and look at those, hopefully I'll have similar luck and we can get some more green going.

I've also noticed that a good few hacks that don't work are either by Rey or Rey and Ami using XDELTA, maybe Rey can hop on and give these a look so we can get them going as well.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, so I just finished re-testing all the IPS hacks in the list and I've got some good news.

The good news is that 12 of the hacks are now working successfully without crashes or issues other then some lag on a few. The other 10 that didn't work out now have more specific crash notes that we can hopefully fix. The main issue seems to be the Watch Objective screen causing crashes, enemies being killed (Something to do with what they are supposed to drop), and a few other misc. problems.

That leaves 21 Solo hacks with crashing issues still, this also includes the "Naked" version of Cradle Source. Hopefully we can fix these last 21 and make all the current hacks we have working on console!

Edit: Q Lab Device Training also crashes when the radio is blown up but I marked it green because the level can still be beaten. Up to you guys if it's worth fixing or not. There's also a few other misc. hacks that are playable and beatable but crash at random when the level starts, again, not sure if it's worth fixing if it eventually works in the end.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I fixed Missile Facility, and will move onto the others with the same problem. I am also making other minor edits, mostly to text, since some have noticeable errors or are lacking item renames (shows up as hyphen in watch, says picked up "something" on screen). Unless something is really broken, the rest of the mission will remain as-is.

I'll e-mail my updates to SubDrag as they are completed. Patches will be in Xdelta form.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here are the missions I have "fixed" thus far...

Kaientai Frigate
Missile Facility
Nitro Surface
Sahara Prison
Severnaya Bunker 2 Mission
Surface Attack

I was going to deal with Code Red, but it's screwy. I think "Sneak" is basically a broken Bunker 2, which crashes any time mission specific text is loaded. It seems to be the same mission as in GE, but with different briefing? Code Red itself needs work. I have watched gameplay of it on YouTube, and it comes off as quite annoying. That helipad hallway design is ridiculous.

I'll pass the files onto SubDrag soon, and you can test to make sure they run for you. Will try to tackle more again at another time.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fantastic! We can get some more green goin'!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just wondering about my Q Lab. The mission runs fine for you on console? It refused to load for me. Perhaps I used the wrong patch, but the briefing text all showed up fine. Was going to poke at it, see the radio issue, maybe fix some action blocks.

Never mind. It does work. Not sure what happened before. Apparently the real culprit are the glass cups. When you blow up the radio, the explosion can also destroy the cup near it. That triggers the crash. Probably using the wrong object type, since this was quite old.

Edit: So I have fixed up a bunch of Q-Lab stuff (started over from clean ROM), added action blocks I originally did not know how to create, and improved the lasers, but for whatever reason the glass cups are still crashing. I had this same issue with a vial in my Complex mission. I didn't find a fix for it, but rather changed my object to a different one. I don't understand it, since the same glass cup is used in Facility. It's the proper type, and only uses a single bitflag (fall to ground).

Edit ii: it seems like it may be size related. At 0100, it was crashing. Testing at 0280, it does not. Very odd, but good to finally figure it out. Maybe my original Complex vial would have worked after all...

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fired the first batch off to SubDrag. You'll need to give them a whirl once they're up, and see if anything else needs attention. Hopefully people will get some enjoyment out of them, especially now that they run on console. And check Q-Lab out sometime, as I really tried to polish it. I didn't have the knowledge back then to deal with action blocks well, so things were... absent.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely will give Q-Lab another go! Will all the hacks appear at the top that have been updated or will I have to go find each one manually in all four pages?

Also, should we worry about the hacks that work but have skippable or inconsistent crashes? I know some Multi levels crash a few times before working correctly and Mt. Fuji and Secret Base crash at the very end of the Bond intro animation but can be avoided if the animation is skipped.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll probably leave the original dates (not appear as latest), but will have a news post indicating what was updated. It might not be till tomorrow though (Sunday).

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
I'll probably leave the original dates (not appear as latest), but will have a news post indicating what was updated. It might not be till tomorrow though (Sunday).

Maybe you could make a zip file containing all of the updated patches, and just link to it from the news post about the updates?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You'd still want to update each individual page, though. If people know which have been updated, they can choose which to download.

That's fine about keeping the original dates. Not really important to bump them all to the top of the list.

Some crashing may be fixable, while others can't be helped much. Especially multiplayer packs that push the game to its limit. They may need the 8mb patch, adjustments to memory allocations, setup file tweaking, etc. A lot more work than I had intended on putting in.

I've nearly got Code Red fixed. Already dealt with three different crashing problems, and have one left to sort out. I removed a bunch of unnecessary doors and glass, as they were a major complaint by people. Also, the super scientists have been reduced by half their health (I actually ran out of ammo once before killing the last one), not to say they still aren't insanely hard to kill. I tried to sort out two objectives that were not described well or overly complicated to complete, while making use of a pointless datathief that was in your inventory. Gave renames to all pickups, as well. The author clearly had ideas behind this mission, as the text file is loaded with unused content. I'm simply fixing what came off as broken, unfair or annoying.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: