ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Gamma GF Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamma
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Gamma GF Review Reply with quote Back to top

Okay I finally beat the game on Agent on a real N64. I bought the cartridge off Etsy and I believe it was worth spending money to play it.

Cartel: Wow really cool mission. It felt like I was on a commando mission. The only thing was on a real console the level was too dark to find all the silos. But the level was a good one for a james bond game. Overall I would give the level a 8/10 because I had to replay it to find all the silos.

Bodega: This level was alot of fun. I think it turned out so fun because the designer kept it simple. I wasn't scratching my head trying to figure out what to do. It had cool little secret doors that made me have a lot of fun. One thing wrong with the level was that underground in the caverns it was so dark I had to play it a couple times to find the end of the maze. But overall the level was amazing and a lot of fun for a James Bond level. I liked the wine barrels in the wine cellar. 8/10

Miami: Wow this level was visually stunning and pretty! If this level was in the original Goldeneye it would have been one of the best levels. Even just walking through and exploring was satisfying. I didn't even have to kill anyone to have fun. And the little cutscene at the end was a nice touch. Ocassionally the game stuttered (lagged) but it didn't bother me. Just a great level by a fan. I think a game designer would be hard pressed to make a level this good. 10/10.

Shipyard: This level had a lot of depth to it. I thought most of the Goldfinger levels would have been rushed to meet deadlines but this level was long and pleasant. I liked the little catwalks and ladders that were in the hangars. The hangars made this level really cool. It felt like a movie how fun it was exploring the level. And hopping in the car at the end of the level was a nice little touch. I'd give it a 9/10. There was a glitch in the hangars where the doors would disappear when I was playing it on my real n64.

China: Wow what a great level. Everything in it made me think I was watching a movie it was so fun. I liked the pretty office rooms. And the cutscene with the Chinese guy was cool. The catwalks and all the cool factory rooms made this level seem top notch. And the refuse truck cutscene at the end was a cool end touch. I'd give the level a 10/10. Felt like I was playing a professionally made game by a real videogame company.

Club: Pretty straight forward mission. I like that it was simple to figure out what to do. I liked the cutscene at the end with Goldfinger. I also liked the mission objective that required me to use the knockout gas on the guy. The house was very pretty for a level just felt a bit short. I'd give it an 8.5/10.

Grounds: This level was beautiful. It felt like a professionally made level. Even better level than what was in Goldeneye. It was just as pretty as the Miami level. I give it a 10/10. It was cool how it had the pretty cars.

Airport: Another fun filled and unique level. Never seen anything quite like it. It felt like an airport. Just a tad too short. But I like how they had all the flight attendants. That was creative. 9/10.

Alps: Unique in that Goldfinger had a car level in it. But not much too it. It was a pretty level though. 8.5/10.

Foundry: On a real console the level was so dark I would have been better off playing blindfolded (almost). But the level design had a cool premise. And I loved the part of the level where you climb upstairs with the ladder and spy on Goldfiger. Just this level I was the most lost on from it being so dark. 8/10.

Forest: I like how the mission was easy but the level was a bit too dark. I'd give it 7/10. Not as dark as other levels.

Capture: I like how the mission was easy to beat. Just lacked depth. 8.5/10. 8.5 because of the awesome laser cutscene at the end.

Prison: The level was fun and average. But the cool part where you climb up the ladder and watched the cutscene sealed the deal. It made it feel like it was an action packed movie instead of a videogame level. 9/10.

Ranch: Wow I love how the levels in Goldfinger all have exotic locales. This map was very pretty. And it has fun objectives. I liked the horse stalls. And I especially liked the awesomely cool room that Goldfinger had the meeting with. Looked alot like the movie. Good solid level. 9/10.

Hideout: Too dark to see anything on this map. But the level had potential. Cool barracks in the level. 7/10.

Knox: Designer threw in a tank level. But it was also pretty fun. I loved the ending. Felt just like the movie. The last room where the vault was was beautiful. Nice exotic level. 9.5/10.

Vaults: Wow this level I enjoyed a lot. It is the simple levels that make Goldfinger a great game. The Vaults were very pretty. Whole level was exotic and beautiful while being loyal to the movie. I loved the little firefight duel with Oddjob. It is good levels like this that made Goldfinger a great game. 9.5/10.

Plane: Wow this mod has a little bit of everything but I wasn't expecting an airplane level. It was epic and a a lot of fun. Even better than Perfect Dark's airplane level. I enjoyed everything about the level including Goldfinger and the bottom of the plane. 9.5/10.

I'd give the game a 9/10 and an A rating. It was really fun. The game to me felt a lot more fun than Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, which both were very fun to me. I always felt Dam and Facility were the best levels on the original Goldeneye, and Goldfinger had several maps that were just as fun as those maps. One criticism I will suggest is that the game felt like it needed more James Bond like moments when James Bond uses some cool gadget to take out a boss. It just didn't feel like there was enough "James Bond moments". I had a lot of fun playing this game, thank you for your hard work in making it.

I made this review in the hopes that it would help the designers troubleshoot and make it better. There were 5 levels that were too dark for consoles: CARTEL BODEGA FOUNDRY FOREST HIDEOUT

9/10
A

Last edited by Gamma on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm; edited 12 times in total

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Right on, glad you're enjoying the hack so far! Keep in mind that it isn't finished so some things are still being worked on and fine-tuned.

Gamma
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Added to top

Last edited by Gamma on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Gamma wrote:
Miami: Wow this level was visually stunning and pretty! If this level was in the original Goldeneye it would have been one of the best levels. Even just walking through and exploring was satisfying. I didn't even have to kill anyone to have fun. And the little cutscene at the end was a nice touch. Ocassionally the game stuttered (lagged) but it didn't bother me. Just a great level by a fan. I think a game designer would be hard pressed to make a level this good. 10/10.

Yes, for me personally the Miami scene from Goldfinger was the most memorable and they absolutely nailed it on the 64. Keep in mind that there's a "No AA" patch that removes the blur created by the N64 as well as increase performance by a noticeable amount. Might consider checking that out for increased speeds on all levels.

Gamma
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Added to top

Last edited by Gamma on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gamma
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Added to top

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: