ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Copyright Expired?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Copyright Expired? Reply with quote Back to top

A video I watched on YouTube discussed how Nintendo's copyright for GoldenEye (after twenty years) has expired. With Big N out of the picture, it could be possible for Eon Productions and Microsoft to come to terms, which means the XBLA version may actually see the light of day.

While I am disappointed that this means the likelihood that any form of GoldenEye appearing on a Nintendo console is nearly zero, at least the game we've been exposed to could potentially become available at some point. I am sure it would be met with mixed reviews (as PD XBLA was), but it'd be interesting, nonetheless.

StupidMarioBros1Fan
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I don't understand the hate towards PD XBLA, out of the several remakes/remasters out there, it was close to the very top.
Almost all the textures & models are high quality recreations with generally only the heads being different because of a new development team & any legal issues. Voice clips are high quality versions of the originals, animations seem to be exact copies of the originals and the gameplay is basically the exact same along with a few fixes. It even keeps a lot of the glitches intact which is useful for speedrunners.
The XBLA version is basically what nostalgia made you think the original game was like. Would love to see GoldenEye's cancelled XBLA remake be resurrected, although at this point maybe redo the graphics so it's up to today's standards.
Sure it looks way better than the original, but the remake doesn't need unfair criticism for looking 10 years old.
That and some of the weapons have questionable designs, mainly the Rocket & Grenade Launchers.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is that an accurate source? Wasn't 20 years for patents.

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

I don't see anything remotely close to 20 years.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Video here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKNjHTyvptQ

One thing that I started to wonder after, is if Microsoft (should they own the copyright going forward) will be more controlling. That could pose a problem for us, should they go after anyone stepping in on their territory. I think it may still be a little messy of a situation, so hopefully mods (including Source) will remain safe.

Jhirmer614
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is the Website he pulled it from

https://www.thezeroreview.com/newsitorial/goldeneye-007s-ip-just-became-lot-less-complicated/

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't know PD beefed up was bad ? I LOVE it how she remained the same game !

If the GE007 overhaul comes out it'd better be 360 .. it simply idn't enough for me to xBONE >_<

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Get Goldeneye on Steam pronto, haha!

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:
I didn't know PD beefed up was bad ? I LOVE it how she remained the same game !

It wasn't bad. It's just that complainers like me hate how many liberties they took at times. The gun designs were changed too much, the maians got more scary-looking, the skedar got less scaly-looking... Stuff like that.

Oof! And a few of the instruments are different. Drives me nuts!

Otherwise, it's great work. When GE and PD are as great as they are, it's easy for me to get nitpicky.

StupidMarioBros1Fan
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I do agree that the Maians look scary, was the only real thing I didn't like about the remake but I let it pass for "adding detail." Other things I look past or just didn't notice like the instruments.
It is extremely easy to nitpick when the original is amazing, but I'd argue that the PD Remake in particular was pretty good at staying faithful.

The cancelled GoldenEye one seemed to be following the same footsteps: extremely faithful but occasionally take liberties with some designs although arguably did better since the main actors stayed the same.
If a new remake does get made, wonder if they'd be able to get keep the actors the same. One of the many turn offs of Reloaded was how literally every actor was different, be a shame to see that happen again.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had great fun playing the PD XLBA, around its initial release. I thought it did the original great justice. I nailed a lot of top 10 positions for speed running then, too.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Since I have a good CRT, I'm rather happy that GE stays an N64 exclusive.
People modding the game would lose audience.

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My problems with PD XBLA were that the game's pickup system is HORRIBLE.
examples are in singleplayer when it takes forever to pick up a weapon, same for multi, including local with bots.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD XBLA wasn't too well received for several reasons. First of all, to many XBox 360 gamers, the game probably seemed too old and too old fashioned, since it lacked things like jumping, rechargeable health, weapon carrying limits, and so on, and was a remake of a ten year old game from two console generations back, that not too many of them had played, since it had been on a Nintendo console and so late in the console's life that many gamers had moved on to a newer console.

Secondly, the single player campaign was considered unfairly (or unusually) difficult, since it lacked an onscreen indication of where to go next, was non-linear in parts, and the player had to think occasionally. Seriously, people complained that on the first level they didn't know where to go to find the basement entrance. Yet ten years before, when PD was released on the N64, I don't remember anyone asking that, instead they explored and presumably thought "Hmmm, the basement is probably in the BOTTOM of the building, so I'll go down this skyscraper as far as I can". Even by 2010, first person shooters were holding our hands and leading the way, sadly.

For those of us who'd played (and loved) the N64 version, we had some complaints about the XBLA version, such as the odd texture or character redesign that some of us didn't like, or the changes to the music version, or changes to the gameplay. For me personally, there were changes to the Combat Boost, the multiplayer explosions, and the slayer that I didn't like, and so I don't play it as I prefer the N64 version because of these changes (I can't remember what any of the changes did that I don't like, since it's been so long since I played the XBLA version, but I *think* I disliked the explosions because they are over too quickly, meaning they can't as easily kill the enemy or trap them/stop them from advancing forward.

But by far the biggest flaw in the XBLA version was the bugged and incomplete state it was released in. I can't remember most of the bugs now, but I think things could sometimes fall through the floor (weapons, the player, etc) and secondary mode didn't always work on some weapons. Plus many more bugs of varying levels of annoyance or nuisance. And for some reason, some of the most popular control options were missing from the game, making it all but unplayable for some people.

The game was eventually patched to fix all (or maybe just some, I don't remember) of the bugs and add in the missing control options, but by then it was too late. Most of the player base had given up, and the online population for the game never recovered, as far I know.

Graslu
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I loved playing and speedrunning PD XBLA, as you already said on your post they fixed all the issues post-release and increased the time on explosions to match N64.

The music changes aren't too noticeable while playing, just if you listen closely to them, except in the menu I believe. That one sounds terrible.

The art direction was nice though I agree the Maians look weird, I have no issue with how the Skedar look. GE XBLA in the other hand though, looks really bad in some spots and it's obviously unfinished. The gun redesigns like the sniper rifle or grenade launcher there are terrible, in my opinion.

I don't think Nintendo's copyright expiring (if it did expire, seems uncertain) will change much. They'd still need to seek a lot of licenses to re-release the original GoldenEye game as we know it without any changes.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Graslu00
Discord: https://discord.gg/tksttVC

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My only real complaint with the XBLA port that wasn't nitpicky stuff was that the aiming sensitivity sucked. I can play PD in an N64 emulator with dual analog controls mapped to an XB360 controller and aiming feels fine, but it's nearly impossible to aim effectively in the XBLA port. The settings they later patched in did little to alleviate the issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: