ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Model Draw Distance Question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Model Draw Distance Question... Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, so for the float point value we label "Draw Distance" on models, can anyone venture to guess how Rare decided on the values? Obviously the higher the amount, the larger, more complex models are better off with. While the smaller, more simplistic things, can use a lower value. But is there any way to try and calculate approximately what you could use for the model? I currently try using one from another GE / PD prop and test it. If a more scientific method is known, that would be helpful. How was this handled in GF64?

For those wondering, should the value be too low, the model can disappear from a certain distance away, or when looking at a sharp angle (like completely vertical or nearly) it will vanish entirely.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There should be a button on edit model to automatically calculate. It's the radius assuming a sphere around the object. "Calc Draw Dist" and "Calc Bounding Volume Radius" buttons.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, "Draw Distance" should have been renamed "Bounding Volume Radius" already.

As Sub says, its the smallest radius from origin which all vertices fit within.

If this spherical volume intersects the view frustum the object is drawn, else it the object culled.

As for Draw Distance I believe we already had a topic about this but from memory it is 100x the bounding radius - Crate had a Vol of 712 and culled at ~70m (CullDist = 712 * 0.1 * 100 //VolRad*ObScale*100 = 7120 (cm))

Trev

P.S. here it is http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=6991

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very good to know. I have about ten props made from background architecture, and I just need to set this float point for them. I'll check out the model editor to see how the calculation button fares. Maybe I can have them sent off tomorrow.

For anything I have released previously, which used copied values from GE / PD, should I redo them, or is it fine to leave them as they are?

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I would re-do them to be right. No point in having objects not culled when they should be or culling at sharp angles when they shouldn't.

Trev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: