ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Crash on Texture Import when Importing New Levels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Crash on Texture Import when Importing New Levels Reply with quote Back to top

Gidday everyone. Well the inevitable happened and work gave me a new PC (say goodbye to that irksome mac that cannot run the GE setup editor!) and Blender also got a few little extras which make map generation significantly easier.

That in hand I set out to make a new level for PD, mostly reusing the old PD textures, but also adding a couple of my own. I've been following through the tutorials, but it just keeps crashing after the "select textures.txt" stage. I know I've got the two bmp files formatted correctly as I can add them to the end of the rom inside the editors image tools.

I've been following the tutorials, but cannot seem to get this to work. I know this post is as vague as all hell so can provide fbx files and textures if that'd help get to the bottom of this. Interestingly enough also, adding the two bmp files to the end seems to really bloat the rom suggesting that the issue does lie there. I guess it's the lack of feedback from the editor which makes this the hardest part as it just crashes out leaving me high and dry.

Any help welcome!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps, for now, you can try replacing some of the unused monitor screen images leftover in PD? There is a fair number of them, and I have used a few for Perfect Dark Plus stuff. Shouldn't hurt anything, as many are not even utilized whatsoever in the PD monitor screen animation sets.

Range 0C64 - 0C77
Some others before and after.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll give it a crack. Any idea what could be causing the bloat? I've got two 5K bmps and the Rom is increasing up to 40MB with the textures appended. Do I have to compress them in an extra step?

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are we sure the texture.txt isn't the issue ?

I name the textures by their ID. So my texture.txt looks like this :

0BD0 0BD0.bmp
0BD1 0BD1.bmp

It sure helps me to avoid error or mistakes.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought that was supposed to be in a file generated by the Editor itself during the import process - but odds down that could be it! I might try Wrecks approach as I'll have to get them in somehow. More after I've had a "lunch break"

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Still not out of the woods yet it'd seem. So I've added two simple textures at the area you suggested Wreck and then saved them out again to use in Blender as a reference. A couple of things seem to have gone wrong:
-Rom is now at 40MB with the inclusion of 10K worth of bmp textures
-Editor doesn't think rom is valid when I try to load it as a quick convert rom
-Even if I save as project, and select the texture edited rom, the Editor cannot seem to find the new textures leading me to think that I've really done something wrong here Sad

...Now I remember why I preferred GE lol

Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

But then GE was tested more, we need to test PD to bring it up to spec in PG.

Trev

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can you try the process again? If it fails, if you can post the texture files, exactly what you did and I can see what's off.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did you load up the original PD ROM in Game Configuration menu, and delete the debug data / extra text file languages? That may be the best way to start, as you will free up a bunch of space. Then you can begin adding your textures to that new ROM (in Image Tools), and follow up with your custom level files.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok! I'm starting to get there with resolving the issues, first step was stripping out the debug data, and then reducing the colour count on my new images from 256 to 16 (minimal quality loss, but suddenly the rom stopped blowing out). Next was renaming the images I had used in the model and attempting a re-import of everything. But, alas I'm still plagued by issues.

So upon import the editor now cannot find the first of the new textures. My guess would be that when I'm importing the level the editor isn't looking at the correct rom, I've got it loaded under the "quick convert" field in preferences, and have also saved as a project and selected the new modified rom. I've included a screenshot of the import error and the image editor side by side here Smile

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Strange. I haven't really run into texture import issues on the PD side much before. Only times were with GE-X, where for whatever reason, the original images from GoldenEye had an extra set of zeroes at the end of the raw file. They'd appear fine in either game, but the PD Editor had trouble decompressing them.

You shouldn't really need to reduce colours. Rare just managed to do a really good job of it with PD.

Sounds like you may have to hear more from SubDrag on this.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did you do the textures mapping file? I think you're missing a lookup of number to name. Also, how did you get it to crash without reducing colors. Can you post the image you used and exactly what did that messes up rom.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Right, lets get this straight Smile

I started off trying to do the import method described in the tutorials using the textures.txt, and thusly that'd provide me with a mapping file but it kept on crashing on this bmp:
https://nofile.io/f/RhCVGKWcgJC/HandRail.bmp

Looking at it, perhaps it needed to be compressed to 255 colours not 256?

Anyway, failing that I decided to modify the Rom as Wreck suggested and put my textures in that way. This seemed to work well, but I opted to compress them down to 16 colours instead (as it's various shades of wood so there's not much loss there and I figured the colour count was the issue). Thing was I then couldn't import the fbx file, as though the references were skipped or I didn't load the modified Rom into the correct areas. The end result is that I've got an un-textured mesh.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did you also have a texture mapping file when importing, and did (if already imported), with things like:
0444 abc.bmp
0443 ddd.bmp

Can you send me the fbx file? It is possible that it has changed the textures or they're not lining up.

I tried to import your texture using the Convert level and add textures, but it gets a warning about 64 x 64 > 16 colors. So I don't see how you were able to import it that way? You should use image editor anyways for PD.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I think that for the better part this is everything here:
https://nofile.io/f/Da8qb20RGaW/CliffAssault.zip

I will say that I've been hacking away at this for so long now that I'm beginning to lose track of what I've done to everything. I'll also add that I've wanted to make a western themed game for a while, and having decided that my mobile endeavours were a waste of time turned my attention to a GE/PD mod. PD seemed the most obvious as we really do have a lack of new content there, and the name "Jo Got a Gun" is kinda catchy, especially if this Jo is a character akin to Silas Greaves Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: