ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

PD rom crash on console but works on emulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: PD rom crash on console but works on emulator Reply with quote Back to top

Hey. I'm working on a PD mod which include custom head models.
I was careful to replace heads already into the game with others that have less tris.
However I'm at a point where the rom won't launch on console but works fine on emulator. I hope it is a bug that can be fixed.
Here's a xdelta to create such a rom.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xuoojWKo6uG7WirroctpFktxN14ML8zu

I also tried to do the same with a PD rom with xbla sounds, and the same thing happened.

It crash here.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, that's usually a compression issue. I need to make sure I didn't break something when I added template mode. Do normal modifications work?

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What are you calling "normal modification", please ?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, one of my optimizations may have been...bad. In file 56FE0 or 1180E0. I reuploaded beta, grab it and try again (it reverts it's possible bad changes, so should fix any previously generated ROMs). At the least, the model template import seems to work now, for the ppk twine example from Siul.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One additional note about character bodies and heads in PD. Every polygon requires unique vertices. Unlike GoldenEye where they can share, Perfect Dark will crash on console when said model is shot. Thankfully, the Editor has a function to modify the model file, and create a fixed version. One option is in the Stage Options of the 39850 Game Configurations menu. Select your model file from the main list. When you know which number the file is (example 0756), open up Notepad and type that into it. Save a text file, and click the button that mentions updating / fixing heads / bodies for console. It will ask for a text file, so it knows which files to deal with. After a moment, your updated file will be in the ROM. Test it out to make sure all is well.

Took a while to figure out the issue, so thanks to Zoinkity and SubDrag for coming up with the fix. Very early builds of GE-X would crash during matches, which was very frustrating.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I got this with the new version. I just replaced 3 head textures by other one.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll have to look to see if any more safe optimizations are possible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: