ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Perfect Dark Solo Start Point Offset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Perfect Dark Solo Start Point Offset Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys, I'm back with a problem again.

Method:
-Start a level from new as Defection
-Import a custom room into the editor from FBX
-Convert full room to clipping (we're testing, so can get away with this)
-Add a pad, and set as solo start
-Inject into rom
-Player start seems to be offset by about 20 metres on the Y and Z axis. I can see the room, but then fall to my death

Is there a funny offset somewhere that I'm missing here? It's beginning to get crazy frustrating. I'm sure I've cleared all extra data (according to the pads editor) and made things bare bones etc.

Also: What texture is water (and thus what name?) as despite exporting it from the editor and being sure it's named correctly that one texture in particular doesn't seem to want to link back up.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's the moon. Defection, Extraction and Mr. Blonde's revenge all hardcode a certain room (001, I think? If not, definitely 002) for the special moon room. It will make whatever room from your map follow you around as you move, and screw up some other things, as well. You can change that in the Game Configurations menu, under Stage Options. Or, you could replace another level just for the sake of testing things more easily. A few other stage IDs have a similar feature, with the red planet in Attack Ship, horizon in Area 51, and rainbow-like sky in Skedar / WAR!

Water might be 0014... I know it is 05E5 in GE.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, there must be a little bit of a special addition to the setup that I'll have to look into. Does anyone have any more information on that?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd just use a different level ID for your test. There is no reason you have to use Defection (ID 30?) for your custom mission. Just unlock all missions and replace Investigation, or even something else completely unused by the rest of the game. There are plenty of unused levels, complete with setup, mpsetup, background, clipping and memory allocations. The moon room hard code is what's killing you at the start. Trust me, I have years of experience dealing with the quirks of PD. Wink

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there any level that's best for a straight up test? Really at this stage I'm looking at a workflow for speed making maps and getting them into the engine.

It took me about five hours to hack the map together, and it's been two weeks so far trying to figure out how to get it going! lol

So: Is there any easy way to unlock the levels in PD (a switch in the rom like GE perhaps?)

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I do have that issue too. Try raising or moving your start point and raising after inserting. It has to be a bit higher above the floor in PD unlike GE. I think it's because PD didn't really use start points and instead you end up where you are when the prerecorded fx ends, so this is a little off, but it does work fine.

Also, PD requires split up rooms and portals. You have all kinds of weird issues if no portals or 1 room.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cradle in GE-X, I had to add portals between each connected room, or otherwise you fall out of the level through the floor. The portal acts as a trigger for which room the player is in, and sets which clipping tiles load. So always include portals in your maps, for sure.

Yeah, raising the pads up a decent amount, like knee height to a guard, can help things.

The solo start point pad set in the intro block is used whenever no animation for Joanna / Elvis / Blonde exists in the action blocks. The animation places the player body at its starting location. However, the start pad will be used by player two in cooperative mode, should P1 go to the animation spot. If P1 uses the start pad, P2 will spawn in within close proximity. You can use an action block to move P2 somewhere specific. PD is more complicated with that stuff, but you get used to it.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok back into it aaaannnndddd...
Raising pads didn't change anything, so it's gotta be that (named after a brothel) "moon room".

Back on the struggle front: How does one change the order of levels within the rom? I figure it's a simple number, but most of my attempts haven't yielded any results within the "Game Modifications" menu. Coincidently I work for a company that does realistic real time renders for sporting events (like the LBW at the cricket) and our setup is less complicated than this! Rare really went hard out didn't they lol

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As mentioned before, you can disable the moon room in Tools->39850. Or just use another level and unlock all levels, I think in the sun/misc tab in bottom left.

Sometimes start points are a bit weird, and try a different spot, raised pad.

I wouldn't change the order of levels, not really feasible.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought you could choose the level IDs for the mission campaign? Mission 1 would say "Defection" (I think the ID is 30), but you can choose the level you want from the list. It should be under Stage Options, around lower center? Put your custom level files to whatever level ID you want (avoiding ones with special moon, planet, horizons, etc), and change Mission 1 to match that.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

greatsonofanactualbitch that was difficult, and I blame Rare for this one! Also explains why I had so much trouble with the Dam map as I was using Defection as the base level.

So I ended up using an "unlock all levels cheat" and simply using the villa level as a basis for the one I was looking at working on. It's a suitable method for development, and I can sort out the rest later I'm sure.

A couple of final questions:
-When working on a project is there a save that doesn't then require setting folder and picking the rom? (Save vs SaveAs)
-Do I need to save the setup uncompressed when I'm doing this or is it part of the project?
-What's the best way to do grass/reeds? (secondaries perhaps?)[/img]

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Setups are part of project, no need for a second save. After you save once the project, maybe F6 is quick resave?

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Funny that all the empty level slots seem to have setup files (and not to mention seriously handy!) but I'm still lost as to changing the order of levels. Could someone highlight it on a screen grab or something? I think I'm messing with the wrong numbers or getting tangled somehow!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Load up your custom ROM in the 39850 Game Configuration menu, and go into the Stage Options section. You should see in the lower middle "Solo Slot". The numbers 00-14 represent all 21 of the levels in the mission campaign. The first entry, 00, will say "Stage" below it. At default, it will be "00000030 (Defection)". Simply select a different level ID from that selection box. Do this to whichever mission slots you need to, and save your ROM.

You can give it new names, as well. Title is the main name, Subtitle is what shows beneath it, and Overview is for briefing and pause menus, I believe. I would not worry about the Flag value at this time.

The Solo Space, Space Position and Text is to divide the "mission" into groups, and keep the "parts" sorted nicely.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hang on, I think I've found where I've been going wrong with this, and it starts at the very beginning of the process.

So when setting up a totally new level my quick convert level (in this picture) is Villa, when it really needs to be whatever was associated with Usetuparch I'd guess (and it turns out that was where it was going) - I seem to be getting totally tangled with this one for some unforeseen reason. Also in saying that I doubt I'll make a MASSIVE mod so should probably use existing levels Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: