ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldfinger 64 VR / 3D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldyz

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Goldfinger 64 VR / 3D Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings, congratulations on the release of the ROM.

NOw that it is out im going to share something that Olllll0 & i wanted to achieve before the Game came out.

its been about a year and I know that most of you had a lot on your plate, and i was playing around with the possibility that this game could work as a VR game, Goldeneye Perfect Dark and now Goldfinger have the the distinction of featuring a light gun aiming system. however it is limited on it use by the the R button...

3 years ago while messing around with an LG 3D smart phone , i downloaded a N64 emulator that allowed me to map functions to the Phone's buttons, the gyro, and an external controller or blue tooth device.

turns out that for single player you can set-up joystick controller 1 as your look Axis (Axises¿) and map this to the smart phone's Gyro, and if you strap the phone to a google carboard visor or similar you can use your head to control where you look

Next you map the Forward strafe analogue Axis (Axises¿) of controller 2 to an external blue tooth nunchuck-like control and you have your walk-strafe device

Finally, this the thing that i wanted to do before the release:

to get a 3rd Axis (Axises¿) - to control the gun with another nunchuck-like control - Subdrag made some controller mods a while back and Olll0 did not share this with him, i just asked him if it was possible to map a 3rd axis.
We also Asked zoinkity too, but zoinkity saw no practical use for a 3rd axis set, i cant blame him

thing is Ollo & i tried to find someone on our nick of the woods to help with this but did not achieve it in time

Only thing left is to share this and maybe i'll ask Olllo to upload the experiments video later -

The theory i have is that it is possible to light-gun target in Goldeneye, by exploiting the Infamous (or famous) cut scene controller 2 easter egg, (the one where you grab controller 2 and shoot at people during cut scenes)
it does not seem to be limited by the R button, seems to do so freely and it could me mapped to controller 3's analogue stick

Once we have the 3 analogue controller scheme, then all that has to be done is:
Load the emulator in stereoscopic mode using something like Tridef, or heck even Iz3d supports Vr headsets too
put on your headset
choose the modified 2 analogue scheme in the game
Map controller 1's look analogue to your VR hadset
map controller 2's analogue to an nunchuck-like controller for walking/ controller One's Z button (open doors, interact)
AND
Map controller 3's analogue for Aiming the gun using another nunchuck or VR wand controller, and controller 2's Z button ( crouch button, reload)

and there - Goldfinger 64, not only a great N64 game,
now an awesome VR experience too Very Happy

Next i will post instructions for playing the game in a 3D tv

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

And videos of it in action please! I am most interested!

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings again, thanks for the interest MRkane,
Although we could not make a video about this, turns out that years ago some one beat us to the punch since 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKVilTvlCdw
and the he seemed to get stereo separation working for pokemon snap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhVJuwB390g

well it has been a week and found out the hard way the difficulty of trying to get the game to run in 3D mode for the pc:
Tridef does not work, IZ3d does , but only with Jabo's project 64 2.1's
default driver, but water looks green in some levels - so running the game in 3D using only the emulator and the PC so far has been difficult,
OpeGl is not supported by those programs, so the best plugin i know for the game (Glide) does not allow you to turn the game into 3D
Tridef wants direct x9 10 or higher so it wont work with PJ 64's old directX8 based plugins

The other options available are:
emulating the game inside the Dolphin emulator with its 3D plugins
(we have no budget for that)
emulating the game with an android emulator and using LG's 3d game converter (have to find out if the APK could even be extracted and executed there)
Or see if vorpX can run project 64 (no budget for that either)

on the meantime here is another link for a hack that people can do to turn any lcd screen in to an auto stereoscopic display for 5 dollars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8CHvX6WkbY

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you check each side of the video above, you will see there is zero parallax or depth. It's just 2D to 3D without any modifications. If it was doing a second projection, the gun position would be different for each side.

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

here another video featuring perfect dark
the emulator project was supposed to be called oculus 64

the separation is not much but it is there @ 56 seconds
but it seems inverted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDNtfdjOgcE

from another forum:

This "emulator" does nothing more than taking the rendered flat 2D images of a standard N64-emulation and presenting it with a small delay between the left and right eye. I'm sorry, but this emulator seems to be a piece of crap regarding the Rift-integration. It's like looking on a TV-screen with the left and right eye out of sync. Nausea guaranteed.

EDIT: I just watched the third clip the author has posted. Here the eyes are now back in sync and we are watching a virtual 2D TV-set in the dark. Wink

And description of trying the emulator within emulator approach by user 2eyeguy:
That's disappointing.

I've been making Dolphin (GameCube/Wii emulator) work in VR though. It's pretty cool.

So I just tested my Dolphin with an N64 Virtual Console game, but it's getting about 0.01 FPS on Kirby 64, which is much too slow to even debug anything. Actual Wii and Gamecube games seem to do OK, but the Virtual Console games with an emulator running an emulator seem to be beyond it.

Currently I'm rendering each object in the scene twice each frame, adjusting the projection matrix to use the Rift FOV, head-tracking changes the projection matrix, the HUD is made into a 3D box floating in world space that lines up with the part of the world you would have seen on the TV. And I'm rendering everything actual-size, which has to be set for each game. I'd prefer to get some games to control the game camera with head-tracking, but that requires finding the memory locations, so for now I just put up with occasionally seeing some places with culled objects.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: