ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Assistance with mission setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Assistance with mission setup Reply with quote Back to top

Gidday everyone,

Naturally I didn't arrange my "first level" to be anything simple, so I'm afraid I'm here asking questions Sad This is a western-themed map where we play with history a bit, and it's revealed that Jo is the woman who helps Billy the Kids famous escape from prison.

Objectives:
-Collect cell key and revolver
-Cover escape from the roof

So the first objective requires that the player sneak into a house (the one on the lower right) and collect one or two items (depending on difficulty). There will be up to two or three NPCs in the house walking around paths (we'll get back to this). I'd like it setup so that the player cannot just murder them (mission fail) and that the player cannot be spotted.

The second objective requires covering "the Kid" as he shoots his way out of his prison cell. I'd like enemies spawning on different paths, running to a target destination, and then shooting at either the Kid or the player. The constraint here is that the kid has his own path to run, with pausing at different destinations until pre-defined escape conditions. That means that enemies can only come from particular paths at particular stages of the setup otherwise everything will become far too difficult.

Frankly this is doing my head in...and here's the troubles:
-How to have an AI walk a path but pause at particular nodes?
-How can I setup fail conditions for the first objective that are then released after it's complete (so far in my attempts I've just had fails happening)
-I'd love hints on how to do that "cover from the roof" bit as enemies tend to just sit at the start of their paths and I can't seem to get the targeting interchange working as described

Alternatively: anyone with the skills want to develop a western themed TC for PD with me? I've a rough story, and can bash maps out pretty promptly.

Here's an overview of the map as it stands with the kids path in brighter orange, and the enemy paths in a darker colour. They're all going to logistical "cover points" in the map.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds quite awesome, can't wait for it to get there!...but I think you're going to have to wade through all the tutorials here and build knowledge first, then see what you are stuck on:

http://goldeneyevault.com/files.php?mode=3

Basically you need to make the guard set network, then start working on objectives and action blocks to fulfull what you want.

Maybe this order:
Presets
Path Presets
Action Blocks Intro
Action Blocks How To
Activate Objects Tutorial

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Assistance with mission setup Reply with quote Back to top

It looks like this mission is going to need heavy reliance on custom action blocks. While the built-in blocks can allow for shooting Jo or friendly AI with a flip of a bit, you're gonna have to keep your guards on a tight leash to keep them along your "paths."

"Sets" are always important, but I feel typical "Paths" aren't going to work for what you're planning.

I have more things to say about the specifics of your mission, but if you want to read the guides first, I'll keep quiet to minimize confusion.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm most of the way through the reading list from Sub and so far it's answered most of my questions (would you believe I use to be a gun at action blocks) and the reading order he suggested turned out to be really helpful as I'd been messing around with the wrong ones by the looks of it (and thusly the confusion).

I'll be back to bug people about a few things I'd say, but it'll get the ball rolling here at least and start rolling on with a much simpler "mission two" lol!

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Please tell at one point you have a saloon with the enemy's sitting around a card table.☺️

Looks good by the way. Everyday it's like waiting for Christmas waiting to see what may come

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been plotting out the story with a few friends of mine that I've worked on films with - they're all western nuts, and apparently some old guy has to get kicked down a mineshaft at some stage too lol

The overall "form" of the game will be similar to Gunslinger: Call of Juarez, but with it dropping into "real time" towards the end. I see that as a way for it to make little thematic sense and be a collection of "memories" before Jo puts a bullet in the face of the arch bad-guy.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to have "the Kid" free-form shoot at enemies. The enemy AI should be pretty simple:
a) run to point
b) shoot at Jo, or the Kid

Haven't quite read up on how to control spawning blocks yet however, I'd say it'll be a 1000 block of some description.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hm, come to think of it, you might have trouble spawning enemies. The game doesn't like spawning guards while you can see the spawn point. And, having them already present in that open space could cause lag simply from them being alive. You could maybe have an isolated room to spawn or hold guards there, then teleport the guards to their spawn points with 00E2. If you need/want to try that, here's my info on that action:

Code:
00E2.##.XXXX.YY.RR Move guard ID # to pad X. Return RR if success.
If YY = 01, less strict about placement tests.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Lazlo52! What a great idea!

I managed to get tangled in my apron strings so started fresh on level 2, and was able to quickly re-import everything (the joys of such a setup loop), but despite deleting all of what I thought were editor files it's managed to break level 4 somehow. At this stage I've sort of given up with messing with the level order and opted instead to simply push on and worry about it later...

Also: is there a list of flags anywhere to attach to materials? I remember a _TopFlag or similar but cannot recall exactly what it was.

Alsoalso: Is there a quick references for all of the action block commands that can be put down in Perfect Dark? I've started simple but have already remembered something that use to vex me: it's slow! I wish I could just write things in like I do assembler, but I think I'm the exception to the rule here Wink

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Include Transparent at end of name to have black = transparent (geometry must be secondary)
Include EnvMapping at end to have environment mapping
Include TopFlag at end to have a decal, and decal must be exactly same plane as original, not pushed forward (geometry must be secondary)
Include ClampS at end of name to have clamping in S (us 0 to 1 only valid ones, anything outside of range will clamp)
Include ClampT at end of name to have clamping in T (vs 0 to 1 only valid ones, anything outside of range will clamp)
Include MirrorS at end of name to have mirroring in S (Us go from 0-1, 1-0 (for real uv units of 0-2 for example))
Include MirrorT at end of name to have mirroring in T (Vs go from 0-1, 1-0 (for real uv units of 0-2 for example))
Include CullBoth (yes it is horribly named, it was from early times of editor, when I didn’t know what culling meant) to have it double-sided (no culling either side)

They can be combined (order doesn’t matter), but put special tags at the end. TransparentTopFlag and TransparentCullBoth are most common. If they are none of above, name doesn’t matter, although sometimes I like to identify which are greyscale purely for importing purposes, such as putting _GS40 in name (purely for me, editor doesn’t care about name other than special tags), to remind me how to import them properly, for the exceptions.

The editor on conversion strips those tags, to try and find the bitmap name (if can’t find exact matches), and it works on original GE textures, so you can name your bitmap without tags, and import that one, and then use it multiple ways.

Ex.

949B67102009.bmp
949B67102009TransparentCullBoth.bmp

Ranch_Miami_fence_GS.bmp
Ranch_Miami_fence_GSTransparentCullBoth.bmp

knoxmappart4.bmp
knoxmappart4ClampSClampT.bmp

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome! Thanks for that Sub! My window decals have been having problems with clipping, but I'd just put "_Top" on them and not the full "_TopFlag".

How are Environment maps defined within a level? I'd imagine myself zealously using that to add "depth" and my next question (along with the others above) how does PD manage reflections? Is it ye olde "duplicate the geometry and make the floor transparent"? lol

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah it's TopFlag + Transparent + EnvMapping. Trevor's getting there on his lighting tutorial. But to recalculate environment mapping normals, basically in lighting mode (Visual Editor Menu -> Mode -> Switch Mode to -> Edit Light Sources. Right click and Recalculate Env Map Normals All Rooms. Then switch back to background mode, and Save as Project + Rooms. You can add flat hack in there as well, to make flat panels look better.

Also note that TopFlag and/or Transparent always has to be secondary geometry.

Just be careful with TopFlag, as in general, it appears on top of all geometry in that room, so you have to design the room well so you can't visually overlap.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
Alsoalso: Is there a quick references for all of the action block commands that can be put down in Perfect Dark? I've started simple but have already remembered something that use to vex me: it's slow! I wish I could just write things in like I do assembler, but I think I'm the exception to the rule here Wink

I don't follow what you mean... The latest beta has all the known actions named. Do you mean the descriptions that explain the values, the pdactions.ini? I could upload my work in progress ini if that's what you mean. I have most everything from 0000 to 0100 detailed and a small bunch of things after that have extra information.

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hadn't thought of looking for an ini or similar! It's more that when you're searching for a function it can be kind of constrictive on the selection box, or if you don't know the name it's difficult to search for them.

I think it'll be a uniquely "me" thing due to the setup that I've got at work (screens everywhere and massive resolutions for testing!)

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to casually remark that the sub-action search function really shouldn't be case sensitive, and then follow it up with hopes of Subdrag fixing it or at least explaining why he can't. Very Happy

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:
I'm going to casually remark that the sub-action search function really shouldn't be case sensitive, and then follow it up with hopes of Subdrag fixing it or at least explaining why he can't. Very Happy

As a programmer myself the answer is likely to be "because it's a pain to do any other way to that way" lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: