ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Need help troubleshooting my attempt at importing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Need help troubleshooting my attempt at importing Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l61thsudpw8yvfe/Ordinance.7z?dl=0

I have three folders in the above file (no ROMs):

1) has my OBJ, MTL, Textures, Blender file & textures.txt

2) the above + the files generated by GoldenEye Setup Editor

3) screenshots of nearly every step I took.

I hope with all of that someone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong.
Some of the menu options don't quite matchup with the tutorial and so I made educated guesses. I think I am real close.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your OBJ doesn't use the proper room naming convention - the editor will not import anything. Check this over and confirm that your are using them/blender is exporting correctly.

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The group names appear to be named right. No gaps, stats with Room01... Uses hexadecimal.
Here is the screenshot of blender showing my groups. I choose export as obj. Is there something more to do when exporting?

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't use blender so I cannot comment on the proper export settings, I only checked the exported OBJ file and noticed the lack of Room## names for groups. Are you using E-S's blender addon for exporting? http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=350

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did not and I did not know I needed that. Thank you. That may do the trick. I appreciate that. Let's hope it does the trick.

Edit:. I clicked the link and read it, but I don't think that's the problem.

Edit 2: maybe it will help I will just have to try it. I saw this and it kind of sounds like what the plug-in accomplishes:
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/50056/obj-with-vertex-group-export-and-import

If I can find sometime today I will try it.

Edit 3: I was doing a search in the forums and saw this by SubDrag:

"Now, for other levels, you would do the following:
Create the level in Blender and separate into rooms by groups called Room01, Room02, etc (in hex numbers). Then create a "floorplan", which is only the places you can walk. Then convert the level as .obj (and import textures by a textures.txt file) to room files, then export to bgfile, then import the clipping as .obj, then make setup files. ”

It can be done, clearly I am goofing it up at some point. But yes I will try the plug-in on my next attempt.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your scene should look like this

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I created groups as you can see from my screenshot. The primary part is/was not mandatory as the GoldenEye Setup Editor defaults to it. If you have secondary then you need make sure you name the primary and secondary ones accordingly. Who am I to say though right? I have not got it to work yet.

I tried the plug-in but no dice on that either.

Questions:
1) Your screenshot, is that from your own project? If so, have you exported it to obj?

2) What modeler do you normally use? Maybe I should switch.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The image was made by Graslu00, he used it to import a level (it worked). He also uses E-S's addon which supports vertex coloring. As for primary/secondary parts, yes that is correct. If a room doesn't use secondaries then naming it Room## is fine. Personally I am using XSI but any program will work providing it can export as FBX/OBJ.

To test your workflow, can you try exporting a map from the editor as OBJ?
Follow these steps and tell me if it works.
* Open Editor
* File > New > Bunker 1
* Open Visual Editor
* Switch to Room Position Mode
* Right Click (on the floor) > Export Full Level to .obj
* Save in a empty folder (editor will create a lot of temp files)
* Import obj to blender
* Export obj from blender (without any changes)
* Switch to visual editor
* Top toolbar > Convert > Convert model file to... > Convert model file to Level and export (if already added textures)
* Click cancel when asked for textures.txt
* Change filetype to obj and select the exported obj file
* Wait for editor to convert obj file, when asked save 438660.bin to folder

If it worked you should see bunker 1 loaded in the visual editor, now try making some adjustments in blender and import the obj file again.

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I will do what you ask after I join the individual meshes for the rooms. This Blender newbie did not join the meshes of the rooms. I just grouped them. Loofa isn't too bright, but it can learn given enough time.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As fate would have it you're right up my alley with this Smile

Keep the rooms as separate objects inside blender. Name them following RoomXX_primary for the moment as the editor expects things in a particular way.

Apply the location and scale of the objects you wish to export (just to be sure, but it shouldn't matter).

Select the objects you wish to export (because: good practice)

If exporting as .obj:
In the export settings make sure you tick:
-Selection Only
-Triangulate Faces
=Set the export scale to 100.00

If exporting as .fbx (and there's hitches with this such as "triangulate meshes in the editor"):
-Tick "Selected Objects"
=Scale will be 1.0

You're going to hit a few more issues yet, and there's a pattern for getting everything to work, but for the moment lets get something on your screen! Very Happy

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wish forums had a like button. 👍

Thanks for the tips. I am learning a good bit just by troubleshooting and making mistakes.

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did it... Sort of. It's upside down. 🤣

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Don't know if you got my PM reply, but things seem to be acting a little funny. This is what I was going to say:

If it's upside down simply scale the objects along the z axis by -1.0:
-Select everything
-Press "s"
-type: -1

Then do all the apply stuff as described in the previous email.

So, if it's from Banjo would it be possible to get it with all of the lighting done already? It'd save you a heap of work! See: old graphic artists don't get better, we just learn how to cheat Wink

For ease of communication (due to funky forums) my email is: markane05@hotmail.com if you need assistance, but bear in mind that I'm not the avant grade one around here Smile

loofadawg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I believe the original obj file of this level has the lighting.. or more extactly there is a second file that has only a few textures in keyvareas that matches up and the original file has a few areas with cyan like color on some the vertices in the first obj before I splitted it into rooms

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting...generally the lighting in PD and GE is done through vertex colours. I don't know enough about how Banjo works to advise there sorry - but great news if it does!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: