ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Guards engaging Jo in custom levels
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
Whelp, I'm about out of ideas here. I end up with a lockup even with one guard on the 0007 (run up to and attack Jo) block. As a favour to ask: Is anyone willing to have a look at everything here and see if they can figure it out? I've Geometry, clipping, portals, and paths as importable files - I've also got an edited Rom with new textures etc. so I don't know about the best way to distribute all of that.

If you make an xdelta patch, I could open the ROM and level in the editor to get a close look at it. I don't have too much confidence I'll find exactly what's up, but I have a few ideas. It can't hurt to take a look.

By the by, which mission did you put it over?

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I put it over Investigation (just to be quick about it as I've still not figured out how to switch level order and have a viable rom at the end of it). So would you like the ROM with the project injected into it and/or the different setup files?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have offered to help, as well, but I am away at my brothers for the long weekend and a few extra days. If you guys don't make progress by the time I return home, I will definitely take a look. Best of luck, in the meantime. Smile

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@Wreck: Not a problem - I've been stuck for a week and a half, another week isn't going to make a difference! lol Wink

As it turns out everything compresses up really well. I've included the new Textures (as a folder, with a mapping txt file) as well as fbx exports for geometry, clipping, objs for portals and paths, and an xdelta for the modified rom (no debug data + textures installed) and also the level with two guards which will lockup after about 10 seconds for some reason.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=43373190739787965074

The "basic level" is simply one with two guards in the house at the end of the cliff area. I'd really appreciate any help here as I'm getting close to "give up and do it in Goldeneye!" lol

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not knowledgeable in imports, so I would need a fully prepared ROM patch.

And, um, your tiny upload doesn't exist. The file ID is not correct?

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a re-upload, I've no idea why that one doesn't work, I've even got the original window open and it doesn't work (go figure):
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=63784637357478057050

This has an xdelta patch for the whole level, and I should note that the base rom is: Perfect Dark (U) (V1.1) [!].z64

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, it looks like I did figure it out. For some really strange reason that I've never encountered on my own, your level hates guard ID 0 using block 000C (main guard attacks). When I was near him so he'd try to melee (000F), it never crashed. I was able to place at least eight guards using 0006 with no crashes. To prevent the risk of the editor assigning 0 to a guard, I set the "Hide Guard" flag on guard ID 0, made him invincible, and gave him block 0000. I also set his group to 7F, so no one else runs to ask him for help.

The guard on the second floor had ID 0. I set a different guard to use 0, then the different guard was crashing. It's really weird, though, because I always use ID 0 for my own levels, even on Investigation. I don't know why it's suddenly a problem for you, but I guess it is.

So, make sure the guard who's using ID 00000000 has block 0000, has "Hide Guard" and "Guard Invincible" checked, and has Group 7F. You can maybe also stash him in that hidden room, but it seemed small, and I noticed guards don't tend to spawn if someone else is visible and using the same pad.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I'd love to know how you figured that out! Mainly because I'd like to use it as a trouble-shooting measure myself.

Weirdly enough, for me the ID00 trick didn't work, but pushing the "active guard IDs" up into higher numbers did seem to resolve the issue. All of this doesn't make much sense when compared with original levels, but I'm not precious about how it gets done as I'm in the attitude to "just get it done" at this stage.

Also: Does anyone have any idea where the "Filed to open mempak" error in Project 64 might have snuck in? I'm doing a fresh insert every time.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I'd love to know how you figured that out! Mainly because I'd like to use it as a trouble-shooting measure myself.

Well, I noticed it wasn't crashing at a consistent time, so I figured it wasn't just 0007. I gave the guards a custom detection block before they jumped to 000C as a hunch, and only one guard seemed to crash. I fully confirmed it when (after setting the guards to just 0006) I gave myself a cloaking device and knocked out a single guard to test the other alone.

MRKane wrote:
Weirdly enough, for me the ID00 trick didn't work, but pushing the "active guard IDs" up into higher numbers did seem to resolve the issue. All of this doesn't make much sense when compared with original levels, but I'm not precious about how it gets done as I'm in the attitude to "just get it done" at this stage.

Just so long as no active guard in your level has ID 0, it should be fine. I think that only happens when you duplicate a guard.

MRKane wrote:
Also: Does anyone have any idea where the "Filed to open mempak" error in Project 64 might have snuck in? I'm doing a fresh insert every time.

Um... Maybe your controller plugin is pointing to a deleted file by default? Or, maybe you're not setting 16kbit eeprom on your PD ROM settings?

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:
MRKane wrote:

Um... Maybe your controller plugin is pointing to a deleted file by default? Or, maybe you're not setting 16kbit eeprom on your PD ROM settings?

Ok, we don't care about it if that's the problem as I do cycle stuff here pretty aggressively so it's a new rom every build thus that makes sense. As for a "fix" in the game, my "master plan" is to have 10 guards in the null area and thus always keep the guard ID above the "crash" level. I'll push on and bug everyone again in a few days when it goes wrong...again.

Thank you so much for the help, and I'll have to try and employ your trouble shooting approaches in the future now that I know just how fickle the engine is!

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

More digging, and more tests later and I found that things just weren't playing ball. Then I found the "check level for errors" menu option! So after having a candid chat with it about where it had been all my life, I was presented with this:

Workflow behind this setup: I've imported my paths from an obj file exported from Blender. There are four different paths, and there are no nodes from the first path. The paths are separate as the geometry they traverse cannot be interlinked. Is there a naming convention for importing paths at all?

Importing just one path results in no error returns in terms of paths, but still has the same old hang going on.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That means you have path sets that do not connect I think somehow. Did it import incorrectly? I guess maybe post the obj so I can look.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

He uploaded a patch and level files here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=63784637357478057050

I didn't pay much attention to it, but his path sets and level are isolated. There's a back alley, the main town road, and a balcony. I guess he needs to learn how to make them separate sets (I wouldn't know how).

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know for GE, it had to be one, fully connected path set (you can have multiple path sets, though editor doesn't import it that way, but they still must connect 100%). That's probably the issue here. Every path set preset has to have a path to every other one (or will crash).

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I started to wonder if that was the issue actually, and did a test importing only one set (back alley) which still resulted in lockups when using the 0007 and 0006 AI blocks. For the definitive answer I might need to sit down and try to construct the paths in the editor to see if they still have problems then.

Now - breaking down the imported paths I couldn't see anything that set them apart from others, making me think that the import process isn't the issue. Oddly enough, however, the x-axis is inverted when imported from OBJ, but I don't see how that would affect anything.

The two maps I've made so far would make a terrible multiplayer map so I might keep banging my head against it lol

My next obvious question would be: Interconnecting the paths isn't an issue, but there'll be places the AI cannot transverse, and places the player is never supposed to get to (that whole street area for instance is supposed to be a shooting gallery for the player). Can path nodes be set to "don't traverse" with the AI? I'm pretty sure they can but am not in the position to check right now Smile

Last edited by MRKane on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: