ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Oddjob was for cheaters - 21st anniversary article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldyz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Oddjob was for cheaters - 21st anniversary article Reply with quote Back to top

Fun read folks,

https://melmagazine.com/an-oral-history-of-goldeneye-007-on-the-n64-129844f1c5ab

I will add that complaining about auto-aim not hitting a character does not qualify as cheating on my book.

if anything short characters are easier to hit on the head if you have auto-aim off.

I glad that it seems that the original GE team was very open, that they seem to share a lot in common with us in the forum, and that they where a bunch of noobs in the game development industry that somehow created something iconic

and that mutliplayer existed from almost NEVER happening, many of you will know most of the info in the article, some of us forgot, i was glad to read it, have fun folks

Edit a quote from Edmonds
"Edmonds: It’s definitely cheating to play as Oddjob! But that can just add to the fun when you’re all sitting there next to each other and berating/poking/hitting the person who chooses him. Personally I like to pick Jaws [who originally appeared in 1977’s The Spy Who Loved Me] and then beat the person with Oddjob just to show them! We could have put something in to stop this blatant cheating, but why not just let players decide on their own rules?"

this is for all the blurry vision, poison knives/weapons, weapon snatching haters Rolling Eyes

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So does anyone interviewed have a beta copy just lying about? THAT'S what I'd like to know!

oldyz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i dont think , it seems that one of them mentions that they wanted to buy a copy and could not, it seems to me they had no copy of the game at all

I wonder if the 'gushing blood' thing is still there in the game code somewhere

"Edmonds: In some of the original testing, there were huge gouts of rendered blood boiling out of enemies when you shot them. So this got toned down a lot to just brief flashes of red. There was some worry about leaving the red markings on enemies where you had shot them, but luckily that stayed in. "

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh it's gotta be! There's a tax on the delete key in Britain, and as it turns out the bonds were still in the games memory Wink In saying that there's no sprite sheets...

oldyz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Taxes aside -
it is really something that the team left lots of the code untouched,
do you think it was on purpose, that they knew hacking would eventually unearth the hidden stuff that they ha to drop?

And regarding the Beta version - what are the advantages of getting the Beta?

would it be like the Superman 64 beta that i have heard that it is better than the final game? (lots of things where dropped at the last minute , because WB suits told them to, making the final game awful)

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To be totally honest I'd say that all of the stuff left in the Rom is the hallmark of a time-strapped development. Some of the projects I work on have code that goes back nearly twenty years, it's not used, but nobody has had the time to sort it out. Frankly I'm grateful for all of the excess data thats in the Goldeneye rom!

As for the Beta? It would have been invaluable when we were trying to figure things out, and chances are it might have contained a little different content, but now it'd just be a curiosity that I'd just like to have - like my un-modded Ice Blue N64, or collection of uranium glass Wink Potentially there's someone out there with a Goldeneye dev cart thinking "gonna buy an island with this baby!"

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Any sort of dev build of GoldenEye would be interesting from a historic perspective. GoldenEye's fanbase has always been obsessed with "beta" content for as long as I've been a part of it--it's what got me into this "gaming archeology" hobby, after all. As much as we've seen, there's no doubt plenty of unseen changes that never got featured in screenshots or magazine blurbs. Just look at that NTSC debug build of Perfect Dark with a much more detailed Felicity--some of its changes were known from screenshots, but plenty weren't.

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not being a dick but this auto-correct typo always gets me: Felicity

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
Not being a dick but this auto-correct typo always gets me: Felicity

Actually you need to play PD again - they changed Facility to Felicity...presumably just in case they couldn't use the name.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't know that!!! I should alter my prior comment but it's funny and I'm not the time to ever try and pretend I wasn't wrong Wink

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've never really understood the Felicity name change, nor the weapon name changes, considering the actual layouts and models from GoldenEye are still used. It just...doesn't make any sense to me. I almost wonder if the weapon name changes were just the devs parodying the need to use fictional weapon names in GoldenEye?

I love the fact that the Classic arenas were originally called Golden in the beta PD text files, but I guess that was way too blatant. They had no concerns with the Golden Days achievement in the XBLA remaster, at least.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Felicity (Keri Russell)...
Now there's another map worth exploring! Laughing

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Seems I'm not alone in that sentiment lol

ctrl_room57
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think we all outlawed any of our friends, siblings, cousins, etc. from using Oddjob lol; it just wasn't fair.

Maxout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Many people I've played with comment about Oddjob. I have no trouble against him.

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: