ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

CD-Quality GoldenEye 007 Music Revisted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NutShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, wow!
Thank you so much.
I did not thought that you also post the other ones too! Smile
Will you post Star Fox 64 too?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After I fix an error that has been pointed out to me.

L. Spiro

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for these, I'm downloading the PD one now. Very Happy

NutShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, Spiro!
I recently had finally the time to hear your Perfect Dark Soundtrack. And i must say the quality from an USF Rip i had before to this is outstanding. Phenomenal! Outstanding work.

Now i wonder if you ever coming back. I really love what you doing here. If you don´t want to, you can also PM me. I know that you wanted to make something in Discord.

Also, no offense, but i don´t have really a use for Youtube Playlists. I want them on my Music Player in the highest quality possible. So i really would love to know if you have the other ones uploaded somewhere. I´m really, really looking forward to Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time and Majora´s Mask.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you.

Star Fox 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask are up.
For FLAC or WAV downloads, check the playlist descriptions.

As of this post the following changes are known to be needed:
Star Box 64: Double-check the length of the 2 long boss songs; they probably loop 4 times instead of twice.
Super Mario 64: Fix the loop point of the title theme, as pointed out in the comment section.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask: Check the tuning on the piano at the end of the first credits song and re-record another song to remove the opening pop.

Currently Jet Force Gemini is on its way up. The future will contain:
REDO:
GoldenEye 007
Perfect Dark
Diddy Kong Racing
Killer Instinct Gold

NEW:
Conker’s Bad Fur Day
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble!
Lots of games.

L. Spiro

NutShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

L. Spiro wrote:
Thank you.

Star Fox 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask are up.
For FLAC or WAV downloads, check the playlist descriptions.

As of this post the following changes are known to be needed:
Star Box 64: Double-check the length of the 2 long boss songs; they probably loop 4 times instead of twice.
Super Mario 64: Fix the loop point of the title theme, as pointed out in the comment section.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask: Check the tuning on the piano at the end of the first credits song and re-record another song to remove the opening pop.

Currently Jet Force Gemini is on its way up. The future will contain:
REDO:
GoldenEye 007
Perfect Dark
Diddy Kong Racing
Killer Instinct Gold

NEW:
Conker’s Bad Fur Day
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble!
Lots of games.

L. Spiro

Oh my God.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I love you so much for this. Smile I thought you´ve never coming back. How are you doing?

By the way, i´m seeing you redo Goldeneye once again. So i have to say something about it. You made i think 2 Versions before which you also uploaded here. I noticed that the second (your revised Version) sounded actually worse then the first Version (also the "Stereo" Effect was gone from it). So will the new Version go more into the direction of the first or the second? I´m not nitpicky, i love what you doing here. I just noticed the change when hearing the two versions.

Also please don´t be afraid if there could be a potentional discussion happening once again. Cause this is becoming trendy here on this forum lately. I hope you have my E-Mail still.

Have a good day.

PS: So far i notice that the "Majora´s Mask" Link is missing (but you want to rework it anyway as you said).
The following are simply down saddly:
- Cruis’n World
- Star Fox 64 (which you want to rework anyway too)
- Turok Rage Wars/Dinosaur Hunt

No hurry, i just want you to notice this.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am researching why it sounded worse in certain areas, and I believe I have solved the issue and even tied it in with the stereo effect you mentioned.

I gave a correct explanation and fix for the balancing issues caused by the X-pan vs. arc-pan implementation, but my implementation was sabotaged by these kinds of issues:
Quote:
[From the spec]
Use of volume (CC#7) and expression (CC#11) are required by GM Level 1, but there is
a degree of confusion regarding their exact effect on sound levels, either singly or in
combination. In addition, the Master Volume Universal System Exclusive command is
not mentioned in GM Level 1, but is finding favor among some manufacturers.

Findings:
Not surprisingly, all hardware respondents said their devices responded to Continuous
Controller #7. There was general agreement about how these two controllers interacted
as well: In 9 cases, their values were combined (multiplied) to get the actual level. The
recommended volume response curves for CC#7 (volume) and CC#11 (expression) used
herein were provided to the General MIDI Working Group of the IASIG/MMA by
Yamaha Corporation. Roland uses the same response curve, and other Japanese
manufacturers who are members of the AMEI have agreed to do the same.
Of the 20 software respondents, all used CC#7 and 11 use CC#11. The largest number
of software respondents (6) said they used CC#7 to set initial level and CC#11 for
dynamic expression during music playback. In 2 other cases, CC#11 was set to a preset
level and kept there.
Master Volume is supported by 6 hardware respondents, and 2 others

In other words, it is not enough to just solve this issue, I had to solve this issue for my synthesis hardware.
I had to figure out exactly how my particular synthesizer implements these controls.

And in doing so I found a bug in Yamaha’s flagship synthesizer.
https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/synthesis-bug-in-yamaha-montage
As a result of my math being based on one thing and my synthesizer doing another, I was over-adjusting the volumes.

Now to address your question directly.
My previous work is too shallow in the center as a result of the above mechanics not being as I expected them to be. This caused the center to decrease in volume more than it should have.
I heard this but I believed what I heard was in normal range and elected to reduce the stereo effect so as not to inflate the L/R signals while the C signals were dropped.
But that wasn’t what was happening and my ad-hoc fix was incorrect.

My final pass at this will be heavily researched (Jet Force Gemini is stalled until I finish this) and the encapsulating immersive stereo sound is expected to return.
And since Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie also use X-pan…you get where I am going.
I have about 480 songs to redo only based on this.

Diddy Kong Racing, Jet Force Gemini, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, etc. are all using arc-pan, but they have a custom curve applied to Volume (CC#7) that drops off a bit later than normal as you approach 0—that is there is a range of quiet levels that are louder than standard before dropping off to 0.
Relatively speaking, that means as we approach that range my sounds feel quieter and quieter compared to the originals. It’s a custom volume curve that I am currently remapping for higher accuracy compared to when I mapped it before.

Perfect Dark and Blast Corps use arc-pan with volume curves that match the ones my synthesizer implements.

There is some research to do before I can resume Jet Force Gemini, but I am dedicated to the cause and will make sure the final results are flawless.

L. Spiro

Last edited by L. Spiro on Thu May 30, 2019 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Problem solving is frustrating when you can't get anywhere, but is such positive excitement when you find clear leads, yeah? Your dedication to this is astounding and inspiring. Thumbs up!

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Old long-absent member here.

Just dropping by to congratulate your efforts for rendering all these N64 soundtracks from MIDI and samples. And thank you very much for sharing.

If you want a place to upload the FLACs, you could try opening an account at The Internet Archive. They seem to take pretty much anything and everything. You may want to open a specific account for the project aside from other uses and register it with a throwaway e-mail alias or something like that, just to err on the side of caution and compartmentalize potential takedowns.

I'm sure you already have a long TO DO list, so, please freely ignore these, but, I'd like to ask for, or suggest this handful of soundtracks:

-Wave Race 64: and, just to make it harder Embarassed , I want to point out that, the Japanese Rumble Pak edition of the game, called Shindou, has a couple of track variations, which are also present on the CD soundtrack for the game.
Lesser known is the fact that the PAL game also has at least one track that is arranged differently from all other releases, which I happen to prefer to the USA, JAP and Shindou versions: Port Blue.
EDIT: It's been pointed out to me that this is not the case, and, after checking it, it turns out I was wrong. Maybe there's some other difference in another track, but, not having thoroughly checked everything again, it seems it's only the Japanese Shindou Edition version that has differences.

-Bomberman 64: which also contains PAL variants of the tracks used in the cutscenes as a way to compensate for the lenght difference due to the 50 vs 60 Hz refresh rate. The PAL version of the opening theme is better, IMO.

-The Goemon games... The music here is just amazing. Not sure if they would benefit any from the re-render treatment, since they already render at 44095Hz on the original hardware anyway...

-Kirby 64: It's Kirby! Kirby music is amazing! don't need any other reason.

-PilotWings 64 - A favourite from day one for me. Pity the samples had to be squeezed so much to fit the cartridge, as it doesn't sound as rich as it could because of that.

And that's already a generous handful, isn't it? so let's leave it at that, because I could continue for a long while Very Happy

I hate to hear you are burdened with such health problems and I wish they be as light a burden on your life as possible, as little a help as that wish of mine surely is.

All in all, thank you very much for all your excellent work.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you.

I will definitely do PAL versions of tracks if they have changed (and I have the PAL version).

I have some replies regarding your suggestions.
#1: Wave Race 64: All tracks seem to be pitched down when I tried to record them. I never solved this issue. I will be able to investigate it better after I finish a utility tool I am making to study, edit, and create WAV data.
I will look back into this later when I get there, since it is a problem that seems to only apply to this game.

#2: Some world-record GoldenEye 007 speedrun player(s) are requesting the 2nd Goemon game to be done. Even if they render so well on Nintendo 64, I should be able to squeeze out some more fidelity and give it the same warmth as the others.

#3: There is no chance that Kirby 64 does not end up being converted.

#4: Pilotwings 64 used to be posted until I discovered that the MIDI has no pan data.
I am not sure what to do with this. The percussion has sample pans, so it is basically accurate, but none of the other instruments do and will all sit in the center. Do I record it like this? Wasting time. Do I try to earball the pan for each track? I don’t like this degree of arbitrary adjustments; I don’t feel I can make certain promises (relating to their accuracy) about my songs if I do that.

#5: Maybe Bomberman 64 is completely easy to do. I think I looked into it earlier, and if so, I must not have seen any problems or else I would remember them.

I will see about getting some more space for these. Thank you for the suggestion.

L. Spiro

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is probably a silly question, but, would it be possible to distribute these as MIDI + SoundFont, for players that support that, like foobar2000 with it's BASSMIDI based component? Would that retain your tweaks or are they dependent on the particular tools you are using to render them to PCM?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They must be distributed as WAV or another similar audio format as the render requires specific tools and hardware.

L. Spiro

NutShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don´t want to hurry or anything. But how is the work going for "Ocarina of Time" and "Majora´s Mask"? These two are definitly my favorites under them all.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As mentioned, everything was stalled until I finished some research.
When I finish Jet Force Gemini, which will be soon, I will finalize Star Fox 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask with final WAV versions.

L. Spiro

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jet Force Gemini, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, and Star Fox 64 WAV packs are up.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnao9n727P7TRy0kD5a0nzsw261MzHK The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnao9n727MrYWpnGjknS1vpcMCr3Uc8 Jet Force Gemini
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnao9n727Ny5RG7siCJVaImhFg0d_pZ Star Fox 64
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnao9n727N6eMJQCouQ-UpAx3DlzpT0 Killer Instinct Gold

L. Spiro

Last edited by L. Spiro on Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: