ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

CD-Quality GoldenEye 007 Music Revisted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just got home and listened to the game.

The MIDI data does have a back-to-center pan, but with some research I found out that it’s a special case where it is supposed to be ignored.

That means it counts as a bug and I will upload a fix soon.

L. Spiro

NutShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

L. Spiro wrote:
Also enjoy the CD version of dataDyne Central: Defection!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-83gJUMvZs&list=PLWsnao9n727OrLod3kmWZWrj6tl7IQiO-&index=9&t=0s

It sounds so beautiful! Shocked

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know this might sound ridiculous but would it be possible to do HD tracks of the GoldenEye X versions of the GoldenEye songs?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can if they are MIDI.
If they use the same samples as in the game then I would only need the MIDI files.
If they use a custom SoundFont then there would be a delay before I could make anything as I have yet to write a tool to convert from SoundFonts to what I use.

L. Spiro

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: fantastic! Reply with quote Back to top

Can I be honest? Some of the tracks in GoldenEye are not BALANCED. Surface II's solo instruments are way too far in the background and the REVERB is way too high in this track and several others. I would go back and repatch any tracks that utilize too much reverb on instruments that don't need them and you can hear solo instruments in the background that should be in the foreground. Wink

**LISTEN TO THIS HIGH QUALITY RIP THIS GUY POSTED AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN ABOUT ++REVERB++ AND INSTRUMENTS THAT ARE WAY UNBALANCED IN THE MIX**
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPjsDLItCbs&list=PL8662AEB50E84F131&index=12

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is only 1 reverb setting used throughout the game and in my uploads. There is no such thing here as individual instruments that are unbalanced, as all instruments on all tracks on all songs use the exact same transition from dry to wet.

The balance is 100% correct, but my reverb is a professional high-quality reverb that closely mimics the one in the game.
The in-game reverb is simply a mono delay reverb with smoothing.
My reverb is a complex mix between 2 reverbs, an early reflection to mimic the delay reverb, and a feeding from one reverb into the 2nd, and all of this is provided by $4,000 professional hardware.

As a result, the reverb sounds close rather than exact, but significantly higher in quality. It's an approximation.
Since there are small differences, you will hear small differences on some frequencies and some reverb depths, but the depth of the reverb is exactly correct on all instruments on all tracks on all songs, they just present very slightly differently on the low-quality Nintendo 64 delay reverb.

This essentially means that my recordings express how it "should have" sounded, and Graeme Norgate himself has given my versions his word of approval.

In short, my versions express the depth of each sound more accurately than the smoothed delay reverb in the originals was able—it produced a result that was so similar to the original sound that it could sometimes mask how far away it actually was.

Also note that this only applies to GoldenEye 007. Perfect Dark used a more standard stereo reverb and is much easier to accurately approximate.

L. Spiro

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Oh Reply with quote Back to top

Oh I see. Well I can understand the composer giving his approval. I myself am a composer. Wink All I'm saying is that the solo instrument that carries the actual theme in a few tracks is really MUFFLED. It sounds great just not an exact remaster from what millions of fans are used to hearing. I meant no offense or to upset you. I'm a fanatic when it comes authenticity, editing, and sound engineering. I'll listen to those tracks again by ripping them off YouTube. See if maybe youtube screwed up the encoding.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you mean you will listen to my tracks via ripping from YouTube, you can get the download link from the playlist description.

If in the future I find a way to make a near-perfect replica of the reverb, I may release a "Retro HD" set. But don't worry; in that case these HD recordings will remain up, I will just make a 2nd playlist.

L. Spiro

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: other than that Reply with quote Back to top

The tracks sound really phenomenal. I just like the original equalization of the instruments is all. I will look for your link to listen without any youtube corruption Smile

NutShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spyro!
I´m seeing that you constantly updating the Youtube Playlists as i speak which is great.
The sound of them is outstanding and it´s good to see finally their final, final, final, final Version (HD). Wink
So, will the two Legend of Zelda OOT/MM eventually will come too?
I´m so excited for these two.
Thank you for all your work. Can´t thank you enough.
Have a nice day, Spyro.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All of the Nintendo ones (Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64, etc.) will be redone, but I have to make some upgrades to my tools and to fully decode some of the data they use before that can happen.
Since part of it is R&D, I can’t put a timeline on it. I don’t know when I will decode the incomplete data, but I am building more and more tools, and if it gets down to it I can just make a specialized debugger to see how the games use those values.
I won’t stop until they are done, but I can’t give you a timeline.

L. Spiro

NutShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hope you´re doing good, Spyro.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My symptoms are not horrible yet, but I am told that COVID-19 can stay calm for a few days and then suddenly ramp up.

But also 80% of people seem to only ever show mild symptoms, so perhaps I will not get much worse than I am now.

But if it does get bad for me, it will be a problem. I have had 7 or 8 lung collapses and am incompatible with a virus that makes it difficult to breathe.

For now I am in quarantine and off work to get through it.
Since I may not be alive for much longer, I rushed the Donkey Kong 64 OST out last night.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnao9n727NkMrLivjK9nRFKbYc-p4t7
Link to the WAV files will be added to the playlist description once they finish uploading.

This might be my last major OST release, so please enjoy!

L. Spiro

fredspider
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You'll be fine soon, Spiro, don't worry. I wish you well. You will get out of that stronger than you are.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Please keep us updated on how you are doing. We're all hoping your symptoms stay low, and you can get through it without any serious effects.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: