ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Animated Terrain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
I'd almost have sworn that PD would "create" guards in the game!

Oh, guards! Yes, you can spawn guards. There should be three different actions that each spawn a guard. I'd list them, but I really need to sleep. There's a regular spawn, a spawn near other guard, and a cloning one that requires the clone flag on guard.

MRKane wrote:
Ok, back to 140, what is YY measured in? Even a value of 01.01 had the drone drive out a 7m path and not trigger the break. I'd be dead keen on a copy of that INI if you happen to have it lying about!

YY is measured in the point of the path... ... Like, the first pad listed in the path is 0, the next pad is 1, the next pad is 2, and so on. Airbase has it so that once the bot reaches the third pad in the patrol, the check passes and puts the bot on a new path. I hope I explained it well enough.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Need to sleep...ditto lol. I'm in New Zealand so rather miss out on a lot of the "awake" time for everyone else.

The numbers make sense now! I thought it was in metres not points! Ok...I think we might have something. I'll try tomorrow Very Happy

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It might be easier to make the scrolling area a character then give it a unique animation, or just write some code to manually scroll the UVs with delta time compensation. I was able to do this with the footsteps patch for GE

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So I have wondered about making it into an animation but simply haven't got around to looking at it Smile I'll keep having a tinker with this path stuff as it affords me more control (slowing, speeding up, etc.)

As for animating uv coordinates: Are there any examples of this being done in game or is it done through a custom MIPS hack? There's a heap of stuff I really don't know as I've not been working with the games for so long (didn't have a PC unfortunately).

So back on the warpath, when looking at the presets for defection there's a section on pad 144 that says "Preset Use" and has entries:
COMMAND: 37 (#000)
Hovercop
COMMAND: 37 (#001)
Hovercop
COMMAND: 37 (#002)
Hovercar

However if I try to reconstruct this I end up with:
Command: 37 (#000)
Hovercar
PATH #0
PDAction BLOCK #404

I still feel like there's something I've not yet managed to track down...

Last edited by MRKane on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It was made using the custom subaction 2B FE memory peek/poke to shift UV coords every frame. This is not available for PD. A biped animation with looping would be better as it isn't frame time dependent, I don't know if a hover vehicle would offer the same amount of precision/control as a animation.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Picking through this further I'm starting to draw a blank on this one - the hover vehicle animation just refuses to play ball (despite a very simple replication of the case example in Defection) and looking further into the idea of animating a movement (for example the hover taxi animations in Defection) I cannot seem to find them in the animation section of the editor to try and pick it apart.

Didn't expect this to be easy I suppose! lol Do we have a tutorial on this in PD at all?

The one laugh I've got out of this is that hover vehicles have to go through the path points to go onto the next one, and if you have the speed too high they'll orbit the point before finally getting it/giving up and moving onto a mad cascade around the other one XD

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you can't find an object's animation in the Animation Editor, it might be under the Crate category. That seems to be where the generic object animations are. Animations 0122 through 0126 are used by one of Defection's action blocks for the cars, and I've found them by choosing an object within the Crate model type.

That being said, I do believe it would be easier to use a guard model and animation for your idea. The object animation Action only appears to have a speed byte and start/end bytes (as a quick guess), while the Action for guard animation has lots more customization. Also, to stop gravity from deleting the guard, you'd either need to use Absolute Translation animations or have collision present for his "feet."

As for the animation itself, it should be easy enough to make a few keyframes of a straight line in the editor and then play back the frames very slowly in-game.

Edit: Another issue I foresee is the bounding box LOD stuff. Might disappear as the player turns away.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:

Edit: Another issue I foresee is the bounding box LOD stuff. Might disappear as the player turns away.

I've already hit some of the bounding box issues - seems PD doesn't like the camera being inside a prop. Odds down it's failing what will be a simple vis test (known problem - I've hit it myself).

Lazlo52 wrote:

As for the animation itself, it should be easy enough to make a few keyframes of a straight line in the editor and then play back the frames very slowly in-game.

So you can animate things in the editor? I really didn't know that! There's so much to catch up on and so few tutorials/documentation sets. I suppose the pre-rendered camera paths can be animated in editor also? That'd be a godsend as fate would have it I was looking that over yesterday (well...now - it's kinda late).

It's seeming like this idea is good on paper, but not all that good from a practical standard Smile

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can manually edit the positions and rotations of guard and object animations for each keyframe, but there was no true GUI for it last I checked. Just editing the numbers. It's enough to fix minor clipping errors and other simple stuff.

I don't think the camera animations can be edited in the UI. You can view the points in visual, but I saw no way to move them.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll look into that a little more when I get the time Smile

I've continued on the warpath for getting the hover-car to follow a path and to try and get it to loop. There's been a lot of tinkering but here's what it's boiled down to:

-0xC path points must have orientation correctly set otherwise the hovercar does twisty stuff
-Hover car must not start at the pad it's suppose to be "driving" through
-Hover car fitzes out when it reaches the end of it's path
-A loop can be put in place by checking how far it is along the path and then setting the position to the start point as a 16 object (there may be a simpler way to do this

And I guess that's about it for my test case, although the object visibility is a terrible problem at this stage but odds down I'll find a way to work around that too. I'm pretty happy with the immediate results Smile

https://youtu.be/DZWs3-6g_aA

UPDATE: So the observed glitches can be resolved by having the gully cut into two halves and offsetting them from the centre so that the player is never actually in the mesh. I expect I'll be able to construct a couple of action blocks governing the behaviour of the segments to complete this background effect.

Don't hold your breath - we're about to break for Christmas! lol

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh! And here I was, thinking you were working with a flat billboard. It certainly looks like it can go places, but I wonder how easily this hover car method will allow a seamless loop.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:
Oh! And here I was, thinking you were working with a flat billboard. It certainly looks like it can go places, but I wonder how easily this hover car method will allow a seamless loop.

Probably not easily. Theoretically it should be totally loopable, but my "cunning plan" was to have some 3 segments to a side and do a basic shuffle so that the jump is always in a position the player won't see or notice. I'd say it'll be enough to get by but will still have glitches if you look in just the right place - still, it'll be enough to sell the effect, and most players just blast through levels anyway so I'm quite happy with this approach Smile

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, it's been a rough end of the year with heaps going on. Sooner or later I'd better fix the toilet...

That all said and done I've finally cracked how to setup a hover car pathway without anything screwing up, but I cannot replicate the behaviour displayed in the first level with the vehicles jumping from path to path yet (there's gotta be something hidden...).

There's a process to this:
-Lay down your path as 0xC pads. Set the orientation of the pads in the bitflags. This must match the initial trend of the path otherwise the vehicle will not operate as intended.
-Add another point near to the beginning. This pad is the one that you can attach your vehicle to, it's flags must match the rest of the pads. THEN you set the script on the vehicle.
-You cannot seem to set the vehicle to the first path of the pad. Setting the vehicle script on the first path and then removing the vehicle seems to result in a residual script attached to the pad (I've no idea what's happening there).
-And from there, the movement script is the usual "set speed, set path" thing as described previously.

Now, I know I'm missing something in that level due to my inability to replicate the observed behaviour of other vehicles, but I've got it working well enough for my purposes so might not dig any further - but would love to know (just for my own interest) if anyone can spot what else is going on there Smile

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
-You cannot seem to set the vehicle to the first path of the pad. Setting the vehicle script on the first path and then removing the vehicle seems to result in a residual script attached to the pad (I've no idea what's happening there).

Could you explain this further? I don't understand what you mean... "The first path of the pad?" A script getting attached to a pad? Removing a vehicle, like from the game or just the path?

I figure I can't help you further, but I'd at least like to be fully sure of what's going on.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry! Damn late night posts!
"First pad of the path" is what I intended to write.

Now suppose I make a path, then make a hover vehicle on the first pad, then attach a script to the hover vehicle to make it follow that path. This won't work - and if I look at the pads in the pad editor there's an object on that pad (as I intended) but also the action script attached to that pad (seems weird...) then if I delete the vehicle, the action script remains attached.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: