ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Possible Virtual Reality on N64/GameCube?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xbasedexe
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Possible Virtual Reality on N64/GameCube? Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure about this but, is it possible to do VR on the N64/GameCube?
Because, I'm planning to buy the Oculus Rift in the future but, not sure if it's really worth wasting 350.00 on a virtual reality headset with the head-tracking feature that isn't compatible with Perfect Dark, Goldeneye 007, and etc.
However, I did saw a reddit post about how they did Ocarina of Time in VR but real question is: is it possible to do head-tracking in Perfect Dark / Goldeneye 007? I do understand it's hard to code it though Confused

*sniff*
wadiyatalkinabeet?

oldyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

xbasedexe wrote:
Not sure about this but, is it possible to do VR on the N64/GameCube?
Because, I'm planning to buy the Oculus Rift in the future but, not sure if it's really worth wasting 350.00 on a virtual reality headset with the head-tracking feature that isn't compatible with Perfect Dark, Goldeneye 007, and etc.
?

Goldeneye:
When using PJ 64, start Goldeneye, and go into the menu, choose a dual controller scheme so one joystick controls looking, the other forward-back/strafing left to right.
then what you do is map the looking axis (axises?) to the vr or smart phones giro, that way you will control lookin up down and the left right turn
with your head. Unfortunately you will not be able to tilt your head and control tilting, however you CAN map tilting to work as the strafing left or right

next, you control walking forward back , strafing to a nunchuck type controller for VR sets/smart phones
https://www.flipkart.com/umido-vr-controller/p/itmekhutjeapruqp

i think a modified version of the mouse injector will help a great deal.
to make the giro work with better precision when it comes to using your head as the looking axis.

The one thing i still have not managed to do is to enable a third axis to control the arm independently, and 'unchain' it from the R button, Subdrag has experience with re-mapping controllers, but i don't know if he could be able to create such a modification.

The next issue is to make the game stereoscopic. you can try the discontinued IZ3d driver, but it is limited to directx 9.
there is videos on youtube that showcase n64 emulation in 3d that uses Nvidia's 3d vision, but i never managed to run PJ64 with 3dvision myself.

Ati's 3d driver might be better, since i have been told that it does not restrict you to just one mode of 3d (meaning you can choose up down, left right, polarized , etc)

another issue you will encounter, is that PD will run better with an Open GL driver, but Open GL does not seem to be compatible with IZ3d nor Nvidia - - for steroscopic output - i don't know if ATI supports it

but if you are low on money:

as far as i know the best option for you is to use dolphin emulator.
it has native stereoscopic 3d support, and it may also allow you to play N64 games in stereoscopic mode properly.

the instructions I just gave you will also apply. the game has to be played with Dual OR (if there is a succesful 3 axis mod) triple controller scheme

other advantages: you can also use texture packs, and those may even work with N64 wads, or wads with 'injected' ROMS

i have slow machines , so i have not experimented well with dolphin's 3d options, you will need a core 7 machine, with at least 4 gb ram

i did notice that machines with ATI cards seem to work better w dolphin
also, a good video card can allow you to use Vulcan.

and finally, having a good machine to run dolphin is a good investment, there are very good mod packs for a bunch of games

oldyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Now, im not sure , if Oculus can support android, you can use the android's n64 emulators too, some versions of them have the capacity to map the giros, use external controllers, etc (one emulator that does this is not in the playstore anymore, it is called N64oid)

i have an LG 3d phone that has an APK that is called 3d games converter.
Also some LG 3d tvs with androids systems had this 3d converter too.
the android phone would make N64 games look stereoscopic perfectly, but the only issue is:
the framerate is very slow.

Some APK's can be hacked to run on other android devices. SO if your oculus set handles APK's that may be another way.
heck maybe some vr sets have their own propietary 3d games converter.

too bad i don't have money to experiment all this, but i hjope all this info helps

xbasedexe
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oldyz wrote:
Now, im not sure , if Oculus can support android, you can use the android's n64 emulators too, some versions of them have the capacity to map the giros, use external controllers, etc (one emulator that does this is not in the playstore anymore, it is called N64oid)

the android phone would make N64 games look stereoscopic perfectly, but the only issue is:

Some APK's can be hacked to run on other android devices. SO if your oculus set handles APK's that may be another way.

too bad i don't have money to experiment all this, but i hjope all this info helps

o word, thanks

*sniff*
wadiyatalkinabeet?

xbasedexe
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oldyz wrote:

i might get the vive vr for the palvov vr tho (the csgo clone) but hopefully the games not dead

*sniff*
wadiyatalkinabeet?

oldyz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well , if i had have the money, i would get a vr set anyway.

there is a lot of interesting games out there, and i would like to play rogue squadron 2, 3, metroid prime trilogy & fzero gx with a vr set in 1st person perspective.

maybe ghostbusters the videogame, alien colonial marines (fixed AI hack), or one of the better ones

for the n64 Ge & PD, but like i mentioned , the best plugin for them is opengl,
there is also a Mario 64 1st person hack by Kazeemanuar that should work well with direct x9 and a high resolution texture pack

and there is the remasters of ocarina of time & majoras mask for the nintendo 3ds (emulate with citra and make it stereo 3d with tridef or something)

switch emulators that are working pretty well so far are out there too...

aabha31
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent thread..!!

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently, using the PC-based Gamecube emulator Dolphin, you can play Gamecube and N64 games in virtual reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzyf1SyM-1A

This is amazing! It's still early days, and seems to only work with N64 games that have been ported to the console, but no doubt the emulator's authors will soon get all of the N64's games running properly in Virtual Reality. Plus now we know it's possible, then it's likely that existing N64 emulators for the PC will be altered to also support virtual reality.

The future is VR!

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

VR or 3d, it is the bane of my gamer existence,

The new gliden plugin for the N64 emulators supports widescreen & texture packs, but OPEngl is not friendly to stereoscopic solutions.

Dolphin emulation can do it , but it takes a powerful machine, , i dont know if it could support texture packs....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: