ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Original music inspired by Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eriksan008
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Original music inspired by Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark Reply with quote Back to top

Inspired by the Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark video game universes, I am sharing with you a preview of an action track I composed, looking for critique. I didn't use any obvious Bond themes, but reimagined it in a similar style.

When I was a kid, a friend gave me a tape containing the Goldeneye 007 music recorded form the TV, so myself, like many here, spent a lot of time to the music of Goldeneye and PD!

What do you think of the parts? How's the mix? Would it fit any of the games? Very Happy

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... This is pretty good. I'm not enough of a musician to name them, but I recognize a number of techniques you utilized to capture Rare's feel. I also enjoy how the notes progress. With the glory of the original, compressed soundfont and some more volume mixing for the brass, I believe it would feel at home in a GoldenEye level.

eriksan008
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:
Hmmm... This is pretty good. I'm not enough of a musician to name them, but I recognize a number of techniques you utilized to capture Rare's feel. I also enjoy how the notes progress. With the glory of the original, compressed soundfont and some more volume mixing for the brass, I believe it would feel at home in a GoldenEye level.

I'm thrilled you checked it out and recognised the devices used and liked the notes! I knew someone from this forum would care, haha. In this new version I tried to lower the volume of the brass generally and especially around 0:34-0:50 and 1:24-end. Also did some other changes to melodies, it is still nice? Very Happy

You remind me that I actually tracked down the Goldeneye soundfont some months back! I found a program called Sforzando to load the soundfonts in Cubase. It would indeed be cool to try making such a version...

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eriksan008 wrote:
I'm thrilled you checked it out and recognised the devices used and liked the notes! I knew someone from this forum would care, haha. In this new version I tried to lower the volume of the brass generally and especially around 0:34-0:50 and 1:24-end. Also did some other changes to melodies, it is still nice? Very Happy

Yeah, I'd say it still is. I even hear more percussion, which I like a lot!

Something I'm not quite sure how to perfectly describe, though... At 0:25, I feel the same type of trumpet is doing too many things at once? I'm not well-versed in musical composition to pinpoint what I'd want fixed about it... Maybe a different brass instrument can handle some of that? Perhaps there's a better combination of notes to use? As it stands, in my opinion, that short section blends into itself in a bad way.

It doesn't ruin everything, but it does distract me for a bit.

eriksan008
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:
eriksan008 wrote:

Yeah, I'd say it still is. I even hear more percussion, which I like a lot!

Something I'm not quite sure how to perfectly describe, though... At 0:25, I feel the same type of trumpet is doing too many things at once? I'm not well-versed in musical composition to pinpoint what I'd want fixed about it... Maybe a different brass instrument can handle some of that? Perhaps there's a better combination of notes to use? As it stands, in my opinion, that short section blends into itself in a bad way.

It doesn't ruin everything, but it does distract me for a bit.

Thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it since I can get "tunnel vision" after a while! Your intuition about the part at 0:25 being dissonant is completely correct since I discovered that I used a note outside the scale there, making them sound less pleasant against each other. So I have redone it a bit using more consonant notes and also removing some of the brass voices in that part, to make is less cluttered, what do you think?

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eriksan008 wrote:
Thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it since I can get "tunnel vision" after a while! Your intuition about the part at 0:25 being dissonant is completely correct since I discovered that I used a note outside the scale there, making them sound less pleasant against each other. So I have redone it a bit using more consonant notes and also removing some of the brass voices in that part, to make is less cluttered, what do you think?

It all sounds good now. Though, the main melody throughout the song has become too quiet compared to the accompaniment. I would make the melody a tad louder and lower the accompanying brass to even things out. But, I'm in nitpicky territory now, and I could nitpick forever. :b

ForEnglandJames
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's not bad. I think you're off to a good start. Have you taken any music theory classes? If you can, that will help you take your compositions to the next level.

So funny story... I'm a music teacher. When my students earn a reward, I let them play statues. I use the Goldeneye 64 music to set the mood. They have no idea what it's from but they love it.

eriksan008
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52, I've added some parts and remixed, hopefully making it more varied? I think I'm close to finishing. Although I'm sure it could be better, I feel it's time to move on. Smile

Preview link

ForEnglandJames, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for taking a listen. I did take some theory lessons a long time ago (learning about tonality, notation) but I find it difficult to figure out what key a musical idea is in, because there are usually accidentals confusing the matter. Do you settle on a key in advance or what? I have a lot of questions and certainly feel it's time to take lessons again! Incidentally, I made the track in Reason, which doesn't have a score editor. I've lately got Cubase 10, which I'm hoping to use the score editor in for future projects.

That's an interesting way to gamify the lessons, with statues! Do you have it transcribed for the piano for them? GE007 does indeed have an amazing mood in the tunes!

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eriksan008 wrote:
Lazlo52, I've added some parts and remixed, hopefully making it more varied? I think I'm close to finishing. Although I'm sure it could be better, I feel it's time to move on. Smile

It sounds really good, now! It has its great overall flow and the leveling sounds just right. Like I said before, I could nitpick forever. And, any criticism I have now feels like my own personal preferences, so I think I should leave it at that. Nice work!

eriksan008
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:
eriksan008 wrote:

It sounds really good, now! It has its great overall flow and the leveling sounds just right. Like I said before, I could nitpick forever. And, any criticism I have now feels like my own personal preferences, so I think I should leave it at that. Nice work!

Cool, I've uploaded some of my other game-inspired tracks to bandcamp perhaps you'll recognise some more Rare musical devices. :p

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eriksan008 wrote:
Cool, I've uploaded some of my other game-inspired tracks to bandcamp perhaps you'll recognise some more Rare musical devices. :p

Hey, that's some good stuff. I can really feel the GE, PD, and BK stuff in there! And prolly JFG, too, but I've never dived into that game. Anyway, what I dig the most is that change in Time Signature in Murky Challenge. It's a real neat way to help mix the stuff together.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: