ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE Tournament Edition...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can try and flick him an e-mail, but I feel like this is less to do with his modifications, and more to do with GoldenEye itself. I could be wrong. It's just bizarre that Silo is the only one you can access. Silo is the sixth level, first in the second row, second lowest level ID. Nothing obvious jumps out why it would be selected. It isn't a big deal, just an oddity. You were never supposed to be able to use cheats before beating at least Dam Secret Agent time, after all.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alrighty, I got both the cheats setup in the ROM. They both appear to work well. I did have to change the No Music one to use a different cheat spot, as I had swapped Line Mode and Super 10x Health spots in cheat list before. Line Mode replaced No Radar as which cheat you unlock in Frigate, and I wanted a better spot for it in the list. Anyway, both are in with no trouble.

I did want to ask something about the No Music one, though. I noticed that it appears to lower the music volume to zero in your watch. If you play a mission and increase the volume level, you can hear music play. So, is that what it does? And if so, would it not mean that the music is still loaded in for the level and is being processed, even if not heard? My other "No Music" patch version switched all level music to tracks 0014. While I don't have the technical knowledge, I think this silent track just ends and doesn't do much of anything. There must be a difference between that and setting music volume to zero, right?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Removing audio thread did not affect performance when I tested on console. I wasn't aware that single player would be still accessible, otherwise I would have written it differently

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The single player campaign is still fully playable. The focus is to help improve performance geared toward multiplayer, but the modifications can also potentially help solo, as well. I would only consider removing the missions if something big was done to affect MP, which may have a negative effect for the mission campaign.

If you have been able to confirm that music has no impact on performance, than the method you devised should be fine. I only noticed what was happening when I tested Silo mission with No Anti-Aliasing and went into the watch. Raising the music volume would play the music again, but exiting and restarting would reset it to zero. This, obviously, can't be done in multi. So It's fine. It is also kind of nice that the death melody doesn't play this way. Some people have gotten annoyed by it over decades of play.

If you feel like you want to redo it, that is up to you. I can make whatever changes necessary.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A proper way is to create a flag to override track loading IDs so it is always the mute track - the issue with the current hack is that it will save to EEPROM when you load SP.

But why would someone enable the mute music cheat for single player when there already exists a music slider within the single player options... Actually if SP is accessible then why have a cheat when someone could just load SP and turn off the music that way?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My original thought was that loading a silent music track may have some, even if very small, effect on performance, versus playing songs as normal. But if it has been proven that it doesn't, than switching all level music to track 0014, or reducing volume to zero, makes no difference (except for still hearing the death melody and end of MP match track). It still is not a bad option to include, as not everyone is aware that lowering the music volume in single player watch menu will also mute all music during multiplayer matches. I'd be fine with replacing this with something else more "useful" for improving game performance, or adding more control over game settings, etc. If you have any ideas, I'd definitely be open to hearing them.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If your concern is in-game performance then consider adding in a force lo-res LOD models or don't render view models. That will have a bigger difference on performance compared to audio tasks

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had thought of the lo-res character model one, as I saw it was an option in the N64 mouse ROM Graslu played. I've already reduced all trigger distances to be the shortest of any character, but they do still switch when with a certain range. If you want to replace the No Music one with this, I would include it. As you say, it is more effective.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you create another dummy cheat I can replace, then I can add the force lo-res models and replace the music cheat. Send me the patch and I'll do it when I have some time off

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good. I will try and send off a patch in the next few hours. You just need an unlocked cheat that has no activate / deactivate functions (does nothing)?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Patch sent. Smile

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't received it, are PMs still broken?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I sent to your e-mail address that we have had previous contact over.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cool, my email provider is broken. Send the patch over in PM thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: