ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

**N64 GOLDENEYE LEGEND SOURCE ++DAM TEST MAP++**
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: **N64 GOLDENEYE LEGEND SOURCE ++DAM TEST MAP++** Reply with quote Back to top

**UPDATED DAM TEST MAP BELOW**

A few years ago I started experimenting with techniques to export the EXACT geometry from GE and PD and recompile it into source engine EXACTLY as it works in N64. Well after that time has gone by I know exactly how to make everything work so you are literally playing in the exact level geometry. The first project will be *GoldenEyeLegendSourceMod* Please be patient with me as this project will most likely take a year or two to do justice to the integrity of the original. I will release one map at a time for TESTING on Steam until I can finish the entire mod so keep an eye out!

*WHAT ON EARTH IS THE REASON FOR THIS YOU ASK???*
Because source engine is such a popular engine and runs multiplayer so well online, this conversion will be wonderful to play eachother in our favorite N64 games. Steam and GoldenEye Source Mod are both free and I run my own server for the mod to play FREE together. Smile In the future I could possibly switch all the player models out as well as the weapons but I would need support from the development team over at gesource so if you like it put in some requests! The official banner is posted below. Here's to new beginnings! MultiX

*GoldenEye Source Mod*
You can also run around in GoldenEye Source Mod for the time being to get acquainted with the engine I'm porting to. Wink
DOWNLOAD STEAM (make an account) *free* and GoldenEye Source Mod:
https://store.steampowered.com/

http://geshl2.com/client-downloads/

++DAM TEST MAP++ *DOWNLOAD* :
http://multiplayerx.site.nfoservers.com/gesource/GOLDENEYE%20LEGEND%20SOURCE_dam_test_MultiX.zip

OFFICIAL BANNER:

ALTERNATIVE BANNER:
[/url]

Last edited by MultiplayerX on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: alternative banner #3 Reply with quote Back to top

made one last banner that could end up being the official banner. can't make up my mind lol

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll try to twist the arms of our systems admin to let me do this at work! How well have you found everything for porting over and do you have any videos?

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: 99% geometry accuracy Reply with quote Back to top

The .obj exporter seems to maintain room geometry at 99% accuracy. Decals will have to be remade into source and placed back over terrain, walls, etc. There are only silly TINY bugs in some maps where you may lose a triangle or two from the original geometry when moving all rooms triangles to one room for .obj export. I was going to ask Carnivorous if he could tweak this or ask if anyone knows if you can EXPORT MULTIPLE ROOMS TOGETHER AS .OBJ? Instead of having to merge what you need into one ROOM? If not it's not a big deal. Older versions of the editor seem to maintain geometry integrity a little better but of course the rooms I extracted were from Perfect Dark.

This tiny issue is really no big deal because it can be covered up with a brush in hammer and the correct texture applied to it. STATUE PARK has a tile on the terrain that is glitched out and flashes in the normal game. DeepSea has one as well in the green hall area around player start. I had started that level and got too busy to mess with it but it works just fine. Glass obviously has to be be made into hammer brushes and brushes for clipping walls, floors, etc.

It's more time consuming to align brushes against the geometry than anything else. Porting the geometry and getting it into source is no big deal now that I've done it so much I could make a tutorial showing how I do it. Everything has to be converted to source materials then the geometry works completely normal in game. It's really neat in my opinion. Wink

If you or some other people are interested I can make a tutorial and share every tool you need to get all of it into hammer and convert them. I have MASS CONVERTERS so you don't have to do it one by one. It's all fully automated just a little time consuming in places but 100% worth the work. Cool

God knows this kind of project isn't exactly easy doing it all on your own but I've learned over the years that arrogance and selfishness seems to enjoy discouraging or blocking actual community supporting one another in the face of ideas such as: THAT WOULD NEVER WORK IN MULTIPLAYER....THAT MAP IS TOO BIG.... THERE'S NO FLOW TO THE LAYOUT.... etc...blah...blah... blah.
Very Happy Cool

Bunch of lazy, greasy, taco bell eating crack hackers around here. xD
JUST KIDDING. lol
But no in all seriousness the ROGUE in me wants to see certain things happen that the dev team at source aren't interested in and that's fine. I guess I wouldn't be that eccentric MultiplayerX hacking bastard if I followed everyone else's uuuuummmm OPINIONS. Laughing

The JUNGLE map I'm making I think drives the dev team insane because the idea of VISIBILITY terrifies them that I'm importing an insane amount of models that will be used to make it look like an actual **JUNGLE** lol
BALANCE is what's important so you can find a path to where you're going. Honestly I find it more compelling no one can see me coming at times so I can sneak up on them but it will be visually balanced as well.

Just let me know buddy! I am very busy so if anyone wants to help please post here that I won't waste good time making a tutorial and sharing the tools.

Multi

Graslu
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lol

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Graslu00
Discord: https://discord.gg/tksttVC

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: What do you know lol Reply with quote Back to top

There's that source hacker Haxlu. Wink

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: NEW MAP TEST UPDATE Reply with quote Back to top

Okay. So above is a test map I decided to release to get everyone excited. It's a rough sample and still has to be tweaked but you get the idea. DECALS and textures with transparency have to be adjusted and I haven't done that yet. Some stairways may have to be brushworked in due to some glitches in export or something but overall integrity is 99%.The skybox was tricky because source sees emptiness from models as leaks so i used a sky camera with a displacement dome brush to get around that issue Wink

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MultiplayerX, i have sent you a PM greeting & some thoughts, glad to see you back

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Forgot to mention Reply with quote Back to top

Like I said, this is a very rough test map. The only clipping there is is on the floor so you can explore and get a feel for the map. I also missed a small area of geometry copying the rooms together so it has a pink area where there is missing texture from it. Bare with me, it's just a beta test map. Wink

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks as though the vertex colour / shading is lost during the process?

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Let me know Reply with quote Back to top

The lighting is source is very different. I figured out a way to light models using an info_lighting entity inside a color box. Let me know if you have a color chart for each level and I can change it accordingly. Right now I'm just using white. Sky boxes will have to use a generic background color then I can use a sky camera to project any moving models in front of it. The mod has several animated cloud models already accessible.

I'm not sure why a few things won't carry over texture wise. Decals simulating signage and other things have to be removed from the model and brushed in. It's not a problem just takes a little time.

Let me know what all you find in that test map geometry wise so I can troubleshoot some workarounds.

Multi

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The secondary decals are not importing correctly - and using light entries will not emulate the same vertex coloring style of the original (this is an source limitation). You may as well use brushes and trace over the original model in hammer, at least then the BSP will be optimized with portals

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: That is a neat idea Reply with quote Back to top

However hammer has a brush limit and levels like Dam have geometry that borders on insane. Lol. I have already run multiple tests on perfect darks deepsea map a couple of years ago and honestly you can't tell much difference when using model illumination in hammer. It just has to be adjusted.

I ALREADY MENTIONED THIS WAS A ROUGH TEST MAP Wink It's just so everyone can get a feel for what's to come. Trust me I have every intention in matching the lighting as close to the original as possible. Deepsea was 99% dead on. It just takes some patience adjusting the brightness of the light assigned to the model. I was using several colors to match the N64 green shade in DeepSea so close it looks like you are just in the same game.

Keep me posted and shoot suggestions at will!
I will keep everyone updated as I work on this.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Carnivorous wrote:
The secondary decals are not importing correctly - and using light entries will not emulate the same vertex coloring style of the original (this is an source limitation). You may as well use brushes and trace over the original model in hammer, at least then the BSP will be optimized with portals

I am aware of the issues here as well. It is an ALPHA CHANNEL issue that can be simply corrected by making the decals translucent materials. I had this same issue in Perfect Dark as well with the hanging vines in deepsea

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MultiplayerX wrote:
I am aware of the issues here as well. It is an ALPHA CHANNEL issue that can be simply corrected by making the decals translucent materials. I had this same issue in Perfect Dark as well with the hanging vines in deepsea

I think you're confusing vertex color with texture alpha, they are different. Exported textures should have alpha information within the BMP file.
MultiplayerX wrote:
I ALREADY MENTIONED THIS WAS A ROUGH TEST MAP Wink It's just so everyone can get a feel for what's to come. Trust me I have every intention in matching the lighting as close to the original as possible. Deepsea was 99% dead on. It just takes some patience adjusting the brightness of the light assigned to the model. I was using several colors to match the N64 green shade in DeepSea so close it looks like you are just in the same game.

Lighting entities cannot emulate hand painted vertex coloring as it will bleed into the surrounding vertices. I don't think you understood what I was saying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: