ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Introductory Tutorials?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's a completely normal thing that happens with default allocations. Back then Rare had only 4MB to fight with and carefully balanced the number of unique props/guards per level along with the allocations, but as we have the wonderful expansion pak patch this step is no longer necessary.

Download zoinkity's expansion pak expander, extract GE-xpak.7MB.009.ips and then apply that IPS file to your modified ROM [Tools>Apply IPS Patch. Select your ROM, then the IPS file, and then write to a new ROM filename.]

When you've done this, open that modified ROM with game configuration, then select Facility within stage options.

All levels have 4 allocations. You can read more about what they mean here but what you have to do is raise mt by a value of 200 and save your ROM.

Deuce Wayne
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

While initially this did solve my issue, after a while I seem to still be exceeding the memory allocation. The only issue being, I'm not really sure how. The level is still, for the most part, fairly bare; with most of the rooms of Facility being left totally stripped and blocked off. I've seen custom levels much larger, more complex, and sporting a wealth more of unique static objects and guard placements. I'm left a bit puzzled by this, so I guess I have a couple of questions.

Is there a way to exceed this memory allocation? I don't intend for these to ever be played on N64 hardware, I would think that the use of emulators would render this a non-issue. But being a beginner at this, I do realize that I may be oversimplifying in that regard.

If I'm truly beholden to the 8MB memory allocation, is there a way to tell how much of it I have used, or if I have exceeded the limit in the editor?

I've included another video of the level in progress, which has been (attempted to be) expanded into more of a fuller concept. I attempted to show the breadth of the changes I made to the level to give you an idea of what I'm working with. As usual, in this learning process, I'm trying to find out if there's something I'm missing or if my vision is too great and I expect too much from this ancient software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7m9zVDIJl0

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know why it still has texture corruption, the expansion pak patch should have resolved that. Ca you please post an xdelta patch? [Tools>Xdelta Patching>Generate GoldenEye Patch]

Deuce Wayne
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I re-did the whole memory patch again from scratch, as I figured in my sleep deprived mania, I may have miss stepped along the way. However the results were the same, broken textures.

Here's the xDelta patch for your consideration:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00348351838734386014

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I cannot patch the xdelta. If you're using a byteswapped ROM then that can explain why the expansion pak patch is not working.

Deuce Wayne
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Upon further inspection, it turns out the base GE rom I was using *was* byte swapped (in the editor, it says "byte flip", I assume these are the same). So I unswapped the rom I was using, attempted to patch it per your instructions, and try the level once again. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful and still suffer broken textures, even making sure after the fact that both the Base and the Modded rom were both unflipped; and making sure the changes were confirmed in the Configuration tab. So I tried making sure I was using a clean, unflipped rom base, and made a fresh xDelta patch. I even tested it to make sure I could apply it successfully and use it before uploading. Again, thank you for your patience and your help.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=06335496214520537576

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Set mt to 1600

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I hope you change your mind about having your levels run on console. Our community prides itself on having the vast majority of mods for GE work on actual N64 hardware.

Deuce Wayne
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not saying it's *never* in the cards, just not the immediate future. I need a little time to, let my imagination run wild for a bit so to speak. This is a very new thing to me, just give me time my friend.

I've seen much of what the community can put together, and the fact that most of it can run on the hardware; the dedication and know how to pull that off. I respect the hell out of that.

Deuce Wayne
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Progress is good, but in the habit of biting off more than I can chew, I hit a snag or two in the process of putting on the last few touches.

My problem is two-fold, but both share a common issue.

I decided to try to give the level a touch of dynamism by adding something like conditionally spawning guards. Mostly just to spawn a guard or two to track Bond when the alarm has been raised. My first issue was a vigorous loop that spawned too many guards. After a couple of hours ironing the action block out, I finally managed to make it spawn a single guard upon alarm activation. This is where my two problems overlap, as I seem to be having guard pathing issues with the (guard jogs to preset/bond) command.

This issue also rears its head when I try to spawn civilian NPCs who must be released and escape, but I'll let the attached video below explain the issue better than I can. I'll show both instances I'm having issues with, and also include the action blocks I'm attempting to run them with.

The alarm block to spawn said guard:

The action block of spawned guard:

The action block of hostage escapee:

And a video to illustrate the issue better than I could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElRLnOpkI3o

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Why bother waiting for 68 seconds if you're just going to jump to infinite loop? You could directly place that jump under trigger x theme.

You're triggering jog to Bond per frame without any wait loop for label 01, and as soon as the guard spots Bond you're triggering a fire action then interrupting with a jog to Bond. This is completely broken.

Same issue here, you're not putting in a wait loop.

It's great that you have a killer sense of enthusiasm, and that's driven you to stick through the awkward workflow and lack of documentation. I strongly advise you take a look at some of the Rare level setups, look at how Frigate handles hostages or just lower your scope to make something simple and functional first before moving onto more advance scripting. Good luck!

Deuce Wayne
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Enthusiasm often causes me to overlook simple things, and like I said, bit off more than I could chew, and I kinda knew it.

To preface, I have approximately zero experience working with coding and logic chains. I have an approximate knowledge of *how* they function, but I've never done this kind of work, it's all foreign to me, a mystery I wish to solve. But I know that this kind of stuff is not something one learns over night. The kind of work you guys do here is the result of 20 years of work and sheer willpower. Patience is my friend, even though I don't treat it so, and I should.

Again, thank you for your patience in watching me repeatedly beat my head into a wall. It's not for naught, fortunately.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: