ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Observations...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye XBLA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Observations... Reply with quote Back to top

The "background" (default.bin) is the level architecture.

The "background_hits" (default.mb.hit.bin) are the collisions for projectiles striking the surfaces, planted mines, etc.

Where are the level setups, clipping, and briefing files stored -
inside the .xex file

This was swapping Complex into Facility...

---------------------------------

Under "misc" , "alps3" - renaming file (default.dt) will not allow game to start.

You can add "skydome" to other levels. Just add a folder with the correct name of the level, and copy in one of the skydome files from another stage. I've done this for Streets and Depot as tests.

SETUP RELATED

So maybe not everything is quite 1:1 between the original setups and the new ones. I have only went over one file thus far, but it appears that maybe certain object types are different size chunks...

01 Door
0x100 original
0xFC remaster

08 Weapon
0x88 original
0x8C remaster

27 Wheeled Vehicle
0xB0 original
0xEC remaster

I have not compared objective types as of yet.

Last edited by Wreck on Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Setups and clipping are stored in xex, clipping is 1172 type compressed, headerless compared to GE segment binary

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, I had a feeling they were in there. One of the .xex files I had was much shorter, at only 6.92 MB. The bigger one let me find them. I noted some differences that were made to object type sizes in the first post. Three of them are not identical.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is great to see!

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The doors in the setups have me most curious. It kinda seems like they re-did the doors in some way since some of them are misaligned (Runway) and at least one is stuck and can't open (Surface 1).

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I believe they locked that door on purpose. That is the cabin where guards spawn. I can only guess they wanted to keep the player out of there. That was never an issue in the original, so why make this change at all? I can have a look at it.

Runway doors are off, yeah. Maybe the level got shifted during development.

I also "fixed" the GoldenEye logo at the start, since the ring around the uppercase E was medium grey. I've got it red, but you can still see the error from the original model, where certain polygons left a small gap between them. Should be able to update that, too.

Jhirmer614
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Would it be possible to restore the x track audio triggers that are supposed to play? No doubts the community will get this to a more complete state.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I suspect this is not the sort of observation intended but I have checked and confirmed that the MP spawn sequence is now random as originally intended. Interestingly one thing I hadn’t noticed before was that you can’t spawn where someone is currently dead (ie not yet pressed start) so that must still be where the player “is” despite being invisible etc and presume this has always been true although I never noticed it before without test conditions.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jhirmer614 wrote:
Would it be possible to restore the x track audio triggers that are supposed to play? No doubts the community will get this to a more complete state.

I hadn’t thought to check this, partly because my sound is a little laggy on Xenia and so I had turned it down so as to not distract me (managed to improve the sync by going up and down on the time scaler and toggling through GPU menus). I assume they hadn’t made this intended change? Shame.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: TREMENDOUS Reply with quote Back to top

This is tremendously exciting news. I am very intrigued and looking forward to the future of you guys figuring out how to get all of the solo missions into multiplayer.

Good to see you just getting better with age Wreck buddy! Cool Very Happy

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The original game had a way to know whether or not a level had a multiplayer setup, by having a "Ump_setupxZ" file with the same internal name. Now, since the setups are stored within the .xex file itself, I'm trying to determine how a level, such as Facility, knows that a multiplayer setup exists. Any progress made on figuring out this aspect?

Also, I know how to convert certain addresses, but not all...
81FFD000
8200D000

That doesn't get me everything, though. Are more known?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Because rodata is different to text segments, I suggest checking out ghdira's xex plugin by WV. There are many tutorials on picking up ghidra, almost required if anyone wants to fix the glaring bugs left in XBLA

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I believe they locked that door on purpose. That is the cabin where guards spawn. I can only guess they wanted to keep the player out of there. That was never an issue in the original, so why make this change at all? I can have a look at it.

That's why I'm so curious about it, the door isn't locked. It still makes the opening sound. What makes it a bit weirder is that the door opens in Surface 2, but not 1. Very odd...

Onslatt
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I spotted a somewhat unusual bug on Surface 1 and 2. If you stand in a particular spot near one of the guard towards it unloads the doors and guards in certain areas:

Standing slightly further forward loads them again:

This happens on the CE version too. Any idea what is going on here?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that's one area of Surface that is still screwy. The rooms are not always connected along a nice clean edge in GoldenEye. Surface has many rooms that cut in/out, but they use a single portal that overlaps rooms to render background and props between them. On N64, it utilizes a special value to help this issue. It doesn't appear to work the same way for Xbox. That particular area suffers in Surface as a result. It may need to be reportalled, but it can be tricky. The CE version has many other portal fixes for the areas where fencing was added along the perimeter. Not easily noticeable in the mission, but would be evident in a custom multiplayer setup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye XBLA All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: